It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is This a Simple Reason Why We Haven't Found Evidence of Alien Civilizations ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lasheic
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

The point is in universe where physics as we know it is turned upside down, Anything Becomes Possible.

Why would the rules of physics be turned upside down? Judging by the similarities shared between galaxies apparent by the Hubble Ultra Deep Field - I'd say the laws of physics up to even the point of governing galaxy formation seem to be fairly homogeneous within the visible universe.

I agree with you ... and as I mentioned in my post prior to this one, I'm fairly certain that there must be a "universal" version of Occam's Razor to the effect that no matter where in the universe you may be, similar technological problems will most likely evolve similar technological solutions.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Explanation: 1stly one doesn't need rapid oxidization to make heat. Radiant heat will do just fine to start with!

2ndly Such sources of radiant heat can be found wherever Volcanoes live!

3rdly A low or no oxygen atmosphere may just prove a boon as pure seams of elemental metal ores might just be able to be mined without having to go through a complex refinement process!

4th and finally You would be amazed by what glass and ceramics can do in replacing most metals and light can do in largely replacing electricity! Carbon is also very usefull in all its allotropes!

Personal Disclosure: As for other possible ways of launching into space without any fuel oxidizer I offer up the following thread of mine called "TOPIC: Amish inspired, Volcano/Quake powered, Space launch systems!" for scrutiny!

P.S. S&F!

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Haha you again with the interesting threads

Not only does there need to be sufficent metal, early intelligent life would also need to be able to extract it with the tools available.

In the Earths past the oxygen content of the atmosphere was also low and early life generated the atmosperic oxygen we see today.

So it would seem that atmospheric oxygen was a byproduct of the ancient ancestors of intelligent life and without one there would not be the other.

In addition there are other elements that can result in 'burning' such as chlorine. Another way of generating heat would be a curved silica lens and the nearest stars light.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

wow clever thought there...

If there is a low oxigen environment then all the oxidising that causes the impurities in metal would occur less... so wed need less energy to extract the metals from their ores.

But what people seem to be forgetting is our first real invention of fire. I thought currently we beleived that fire was one of the first steps to our technological progress... so without fire we wouldnt have started all of it.

Could metals be extracted from ores using pressure? Pressure generates heat, so enough pressure could generate enough heat to smelt ore?

If the alien environment has little oxygen because of weak gravity that is incapable of keeping it all trapped inside the atmosphere... then it takes a lot less energy to get off the planet. If the gravity is weaker maybe you could build spaceships out of stone.

also what if there was a civilization non dependant on metals? Why do we use metals? Because we can melt them and make molds to cast them into any shape we want. Also because they dont break easy. But circuits and things we need to conduct electricity dont necessarily have to be made from metal? They could be any other sort of conductor, surely, most things are conductors.

HA! what if their spaceships were made of wood
, all it would take is a low gravity planet

~TR

top topics

<< 1   >>

join