It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

General unsure if repeated combat tours to blame for record Army suicides

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

rawstory.com

2009 breaks Army record for soldier suicides, up over a dozen from 2008

iraq7 General unsure if repeated combat tours to blame for record Army suicidesSuicides in the US Army are headed to a new record this year but it remains unclear if repeated combat tours in Afghanistan and Iraq are causing more soldiers to take their lives, a top general has said.

With 140 suspected cases reported among soldiers since the start of 2009, the number of suicides was already at last year's level, General Peter Chiarelli, Arm
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
It certainly is no mystery to me why so many of our military men are commiting suicide. They like most Americans have grown weary of a war that has no exit strategy and the main reasons for fighting this war IMO were lies. Moral has plummeted, because the tours are longer and the troops have lost faith in their leaders, both in the military and in the government.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
What I find interesting is how fast our leaders rush to judgment on issues that have the potential to create more government, more spending, or more safety measures. Yet, something as simple as troops committing suicide they scratch their head...they don't want to rush to judgment. Maybe they will put up more website evaluations for troops to figure out what the warning signs for stress are. Maybe they will commission some vast research project taking years to complete before taking another year to figure out the solution.

I think we are all seeing lies, deception, and deceit coming from our leaders daily. This is just another example.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

I also wonder how many suicides are the result of an escape from guilt in seeing or participating in innocent children maimed and killed; sacrificed to what?

What a horrible burden to have to live with.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
These people may be realizing that they had allowed themselves to be duped into joining the military under false pretenses. Once in they were barraged with messages to follow orders and obey without thinking -- but they couldn't help but think about the reality of what they were doing.

The military "uses" people, "uses them up" and discards them. They are made to be something less than human. Some may be able to come back to society and cope, but lots never really re-integrate with total success.

This story needs to be pumped up so that more people think twice before agreeing to put their mind and soul thru the military meat grinder.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Interesting comment wayno. I know a Lt. Col. in the NG and he says the very same thing. The govt does not care and simply uses soldiers like they would any expendable resource.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
General wonders if 2 wars and extended tours in combat zones is having a negative effect on soldiers morale.

Also, this just in:

General wonders if Sun is really hot.

Anyway, I thought that Obama was going to get us out of all these wars, yet we are shipping more troops over there.

Can someone clarify that for me?

new topics

top topics

join