It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worms in Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I've just found this article about worms being sent into space on the Space Shuttle Atlantis and thought it may be of interest. A video of the Shuttle taking off is included:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Here is the first part of the article:

he worms were on board when the Space Shuttle Atlantis was launched from Cape Canaveral on Monday
The unexpected astronauts will help experts in human physiology at the University of Nottingham understand more about what triggers the body to build and lose muscle.
The worms are bound for the Japanese Experiment Module ''Kibo'' on the International Space Station (ISS) where they will experience the same weightless conditions which can cause dramatic muscle loss in astronauts.
The Kibo lab makes use of the weightless conditions in orbit for the study of biomedicine and material sciences.
The worms are used by Dr Nathaniel Szewczyk, from the university's Institute of Clinical Research in Derby, to study the signals that control muscle protein degradation.
He uses the microscopic worm Caenorhabditis elegans (C. elegans), because they are the perfect substitute for studying long term changes in human physiology – suffering from muscle loss under many of the same conditions that people do.

Here is a Wiki article about the worms - Caenorhabditis Elegans (C. Elegans)

en.wikipedia.org...

And here's a picture of one of the 'astronauts':

[edit on 17-11-2009 by berenike]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
aw man, I thought this was going to be a thread about those giant worms that live inside of asteroids ala Empire. but as far as gravity goes, dont they just need to create artificial gravity like the spaceship in Defying Gravity in order to stop the atrophy?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

Sorry to disappoint you - I tried to make an attention grabbing headline. I was a bit fed up to find out the worms in question were microscopic.

Wouldn't be too funny if someone took the lid off the jar... How'd you find them to put them all back?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
LOL why do they need this experiment?

The Russian Space station had giant worms growing in the walls of it and mutated microbes eating the windows and panels away...

Want to know what happens in space to worms....? ask the Russians, they become monsters that eat your space station and force you to burn it up into the pacific

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
LOL worms...

Like these? They don't have enough?

worms infect space station lap top

or lol...

The worms I mentioned above... Really is kind of frightening.

Mir Worms

Maybe they are just trying to grant me my wish of Giant Monsters through The Final Battle? Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

Quote from article...

Anyway, nobody has given a definite answer as to what eventually occurred to the weird inhabitants of the Russian orbital station once it came to rest on the Pacific seabed. The experts merely advised that one should better not try to find the Mir's remains and steer clear from the area where it might be located.

Nice

Our planets psychos are working overtime...

[edit on 17-11-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Errr... could it be?

www.dailymail.co.uk...

PS Don't worry about the worms on the Shuttle - they're British worms, found on a dump. They won't eat anything unless it's smothered in tomato ketchup

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Holy Lumbricus Bat Man what kind of Fish would you catch with that thing!

That's a creep show bro... seriously freaky, it has a face!

I seriously hope I never run into that lol

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Interesting post. It would seem however there are worms up there doing the most extraordinary things...
Space Worm

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Heh, this article is pretty cute. I would hang out with that worm.

Humans really know how to waste resources. This may be one of the weirdest ways to waste it - Sending worms into space.

new topics

top topics

join