It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insects May Have Consciousness

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Wasps are definitely not stupid. They've evolved to figure out that when it comes to Humans Light=Heat.

Just watch how many times in Autumn you've left the bedroom or bathroom window open with the Light on, and how many times Bees, Wasps, Moths and Crane Flies have come in knowing that they'll find warmth.
Theres light throughout all of Nature with the Stars and Moon, so its fairly obvious to think that its not the light there after itself, but attribute that light to warmth.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Did you mean Yossarian's 'Why are we scared of spiders' thread ? I really enjoyed that one.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I posted this article there. It's about a cloth made entirely of female orb spiders' thread. What I found amusing was that they had to put all the spiders (a million of them) into tiny harnesses to stop them from killing each other:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1e1b9c0c5766.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/01e720044e3f.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 18-11-2009 by berenike]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

That would be the one!

Yeah, spiders tend to be cannibalistic. There are a few that you can keep within a "colony".

The ones that immediately come to my mind are the Poecilotheria regalis (indian ornamental) and the Avicularia versicolor (pink toe).

This depends on the size of the enclosure and the number of spiders as to the probability of cannibalism.

I will show a picture of the P. regalis because they are gorgeous!

I know, pretty stunning huh.

-----------------------------------------------------

On a side note: If you have any spider ( or insects/ arachnids in general) questions you can feel free to ask me. I'm very well educated in the area of creepy crawlies.

Disclaimer for Everyone:Both of these can be bought but I would not recommend the P. regalis to anyone but an experienced keeper. They are very dangerous.

[edit on 18-11-2009 by DaMod]

[edit on 18-11-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
So, does that mean that mosquitoes understand how much they piss me off and why I try to kill them?

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
So, does that mean that mosquitoes understand how much they piss me off and why I try to kill them?

If they did I'm sure they wouldn't really care.

2nd line.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Just a guess - but I'd say 'yes'

I found a hornet in the fireplace once, just as I was lighting the fire. I rescued him and put him out of the window.

The next day he (I think it was the same one) flew right round me when I was in the garden. I stood very still and said 'Friend - remember?' and off he went. I like to think he just came over to say 'hello and thank you'.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I think you could well have a point.

I've heard the idea that some creatures have a group soul rather than an individual one, but I don't know how true that is.

My belief is that all living beings are Souls who use their physical bodies to experience life in this reality in a way that would be impossible without such a vehicle.

That's why I try to avoid harming them. I don't know what lesson they are here to learn, but I must imagine that it's as important to them as my experience is to me.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Great thread OP!
S&F

I also believe everything on this planet (universe actually) is "alive"- and
that every living-creature has a purpose...; a meaning to BE.

I had like 3 phases on my life with insects- when I was a child, I loved them, & protected them from other kids that wanted to crash them just because
, etc.- then in my teens I lost "touch" and developed an insect phobia -LOL

And like 2 years ago, I've re-connected with that essence and learnt to appreciate their existence again.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I actually tried to make a deal with the insects around my property. I live in the country and love to garden.

No matter what I tried, I always had bugs in my house. So I went outside and explained to my little insect residents that they could have most of the property but they needed to leave my house and garden alone.

They never took me up on the deal and it's been war ever since.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Many scientist would disagree, but I think mantids are very smart and possibly the smartest of all insects. I kept them when I was a teenager and studied them. I noticed that when I introduce prey that they cannot capture with their normal technique, they adjust and alter their approach. They adapt quite easily.

I knew I should have been an entomologist.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hear me out here!

Here is something to try. Many people find this to be a crazy idea but it works. I want you to go out and net maybe 2 or 3 adult male praying mantis. No females, you don't want them laying eggs. They tend to hang out in vegetation. Shrubs are a good start or on a nice sunny day you might see them flying around.

Let them go in your house. They won't hurt you, but will do some serious damage to the bug population inside your home. There is no end to their hunger! They are quite docile to people as long as you take care when you pick them up. I've handled dozens an have never been bitten.

If you don't try that at least consider this.

If the garden is overrun you can order an eggsac online or sometimes you can get one at your local pet store. (please make sure it is a species that exists naturally in your area. All it takes is a simple google search.) Place it in your garden in a safe place sometime in the winter and they will hatch in the spring. You will have an army of little predators protecting your prized tomatoes and the perimeter of your home. (I've actually used this method myself and found it quite successful.)

They are very easy to sex. The males have a skinny abdomen and the females have fat plump abdomens with a reproductive part that resembles our own. Females are also generally larger depending on the species. (Phyllocrania paradoxa would be an exception).

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
There needs to be a rule on ATS that you can't insert huge pictures of creepy crawlies without due warning.

for crying out loud you almost gave me a heart attack at work.

What really sucks about insects having consciousness is, does this mean the mayfly knows it only has 24 hours to live?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

That video you just gave about hornets attacking a bee colony, and murdering dozens, upon dozens of bees just to get RESOURCES, is another example that the "fairy tales" being spread by environmentalists, and some others, that animals don't kill each other, don't murder each other etc is only a myth by those who don't want to accept the truth.

The attack the hornets made is almost the same as any number of wars which have been fought between different clans, and even different races in the past, and even in the present.

Animals do the same things that humans do.... Female animals have been known to abandon, murder, and even eat their young. Some sea lions attack female sea lions, then kidnap baby seals, rape them, and murder them just like some humans do....

Perhaps it is about time the myths that "animals don't destroy each other, don't fight for resources, and don't murder" should come to an end. Deny ignorance.

BTW, yes ALL living beings, including animals/insects, and plants have conciousness. There are some differences but at the end ALL living things do have a conciousness.

[edit on 19-11-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
There needs to be a rule on ATS that you can't insert huge pictures of creepy crawlies without due warning.

I'm sorry

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/12ea35489bd2.jpg[/atsimg]

Mayflies - I imagine their 24 hours is the equivalent of several human years since they're so little.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by berenike

I posted this article there. It's about a cloth made entirely of female orb spiders' thread. What I found amusing was that they had to put all the spiders (a million of them) into tiny harnesses to stop them from killing each other:

Of course...it is not like animals kill, and murder each other over land/territories, and resources like humans do right?

BTW...I do not enjoy war, death, or the harming of anyone...I am just pointing out the facts about the animal kingdom that most environmentalists, and those who claim animals act better than humans is nothing more than a lie, and a myth.

[edit on 19-11-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I wouldn't claim that animals act better than humans. I think we have to accept them as they are - I don't think we can subject them to human definitions of right and wrong.

I just enjoy sharing the world with them.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Nature is a higher and finer vibration, and one of the ways of raising our vibration and healing, is to seek nature and our teachers. The cosmos has blessed us with this abundant resource and we have done nothing but abuse it, with egos that do not even pause to consider that there has always been another way.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
This is the coolest thread!!

I've always been fascinated by insects, but have a slight phobia of spiders..which sucks because where I live/work is upstate NY on the St Lawrence river, and its orb spider haven here!! In our garage bays in the summer/fall there are literally thousands of them..it rains spiders at times and if you don't roll the windows up on the ambulance you can be in for a very rude awakening rushing into one at 3am just after waking up to go on a call!! (it is soo not cool lol).

But I've spent hours watching them make their webs and hunt. And they do seem to live in 'colonies', I've seen them crawl all over each other and they make this big tangled mass of webs they all live in sometimes coming down to make a nice pretty one somewhere.

To the one with the tarantula, have they ever bitten you? Do you have experience with handling many spiders? Are some naturally more aggressive than others (the orbs seem pretty docile, but the wolf(?i think) spiders we have seem more aggressive).

Also..LOVE preying mantises, I've never been afraid to catch and handle them..do they have the same 'mentality' of a lot of spiders?

I've been trying to reason out my phobia for a while lol

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Wildbob - this article is just for you:

www.wired.com...

Ever wonder how an insect with such a tiny brain can thwart your attempts to catch it nearly every time? Apparently scientists do, too.

To find out how the common blowfly manages to process visual images more than four times faster than humans, researchers have built the bug a flight simulator. After immobilizing each insect with a fly-sized harness and attaching electrodes to its brain, biologists from the Max Planck Institute for Neurobiology placed blowflies in front of a semicircular LED screen displaying various moving patterns.

As the fly responded to virtual objects flying around it, the scientists used a fluorescent microscope to watch how its brain processed the images. Compared to people, who can distinguish a maximum of 25 discrete images per second, blowflies are visual virtuosos: They can sense up to 100 separate images per second and respond fast enough to change their flight direction.

The German scientists hope what they discover about insect vision will help build better flying robots. And they’re not the only ones studying flies in a flight simulator — a group led by Michael Dickinson at the California Institute of Technology has used a similar setup, called Fly-O-Vision, to learn about muscle coordination and visual processing in fruit flies.

“Engineers would like to be able to build simple things that behave in complex ways, like a power grid or a robot, and one of the best ways to figure out how to get complex behavior from simple things is by studying biological organisms,” wrote Dickinson in a press release last year. “It’s Model Biological Systems 101: Study an animal that’s easy to study, and then extrapolate.”

DON'T LOOK, NIXIE !!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/58e04eb778da.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 19-11-2009 by berenike]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

*LAUGHS* thanks berenike. I saw the fly before the warning. Flies don't bother me, just huge hairy spiders.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I found this beautiful picture of a water flea - it won first prize in a photography competition.

This strange alien-like creature is not a character from a science-fiction blockbuster but actually from far closer to home. The eerily beautiful image is of a water flea with a radiant green 'crown of thorns' to protect it from predators.
It took top prize in the 2009 Olympus BioScapes Digital Imaging Competition, the world's foremost forum for showcasing microscope photos and movies.

The image reveals not only the exoskeleton, but also interior detail down to the nuclei within its cells, seen as tiny, glowing blue dots.

"The water flea's defensive 'crown of thorns' is induced in offspring only when the parents sense chemical cues released by their main predators, the tadpole shrimp" :

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4c3da98faa46.jpg[/atsimg]

www.dailymail.co.uk...

[edit on 23-11-2009 by berenike]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join