It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldier Skips Deployment to Care for Baby Woman May Face Criminal Charges After Missing Her Unit's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
news.aol.com...|compaq-laptop|dl3|link2|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Fmain% 2Fnc%2Farticle%2Falexis-hutchinson-refuses-deployment-to%2F769226

An Army cook and single mom may face criminal charges after she skipped her deployment flight to Afghanistan because, she said, no one was available to care for her infant son while she was overseas.
Spc. Alexis Hutchinson, 21, said she had no choice but to refuse deployment orders because the only family she had to care for her 10-month-old son -- her mother -- was overwhelmed by the task, already caring for three other relatives with health problems.
Her civilian attorney, Rai Sue Sussman, said Monday that one of Hutchinson's superiors told her she would have to deploy anyway and place the child in foster care.
"For her it was like, 'I couldn't abandon my child,'" Sussman said. "She was really afraid of what would happen, that if she showed up they would send her to Afghanistan anyway and put her son with child protective services."

I do not know how I feel about this really. I know that she signed a contract. Yeah, people would say she should have used birth control, etc. But the baby is now here and she is left with the responsibility of taking care of the baby by herself. I think sometimes common sense would have to factor in to something. There is a problem. The baby needs his mother. He no longer has a father. Would it really cause greater harm to just cut her loose to care for her baby and discharge her early? Would imprisoning her for taking care of her baby really be beneficial to society?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I agree mothers should be excluded from military duty I mean someone will need the kid to get cared to get care for

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

When did we become so barbaric we would even consider this an option?No, she should not be forced to abandon a baby.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Also from the OP source article:

Kevin Larson, a spokesman for Hunter Army Airfield, said he didn't know what Hutchinson was told by her commanders, but he said the Army would not deploy a single parent who had nobody to care for his or her child.

This is how this situation was (hopefully still is) handled when I was serving..

The article also mentions a deployment plan, which the soldier had in place when her mother decided she could not care for the child for a year.

That happens as well, it's called life, it changes everyday...

I don't like that she was put in confinement, which leads me to believe that something is amiss in either how her unit handled the situation or perhaps the soldier handled it incorrectly, that will come out in time, and hopefully all will be resolved in the best interest of the child involved.

We need more details before we start jumping to conclusions on how this happened..

IMO of course

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

A single-mom soldier who says she refused to deploy to Afghanistan because she had no family able to care for her young son will be discharged from the military instead of facing a court-martial, the Army said Thursday.

The decision still carries consequences for Hutchinson. She is being demoted in rank to private and will lose benefits afforded to military service members and veterans, Fort Stewart spokesman Kevin Larson said.

I am glad she isn't going to prison. That would not have accomplished anything really.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa
I am glad she isn't going to prison. That would not have accomplished anything really.

Sure it would have. It would have sent the message to others who think that they can pull this and get away with it.

She should have never let it get this far, but her inaction caused this.

Why is it we still haven't heard from the father in this case? Where was he and his family?

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but she should be dishonorably discharged and forced to pay government back for any specialized training she received prior to her becomming pregnant.

She signed a contract. She needs to fullfill the terms and conditions of it, period. If she can't, or won't than she is in breech and needs to provide remedy to the other in the contract which is in this case the US government. We either have a gender neutral system or we don't. If you want to suggest the biology is the defining issue here, then you are stating that women are not equals. You can't have it both ways.

If women don't like it then they should not sign up to play soldier. I'm not suggesting that there are not roles suitable for women in the military that could accomodate pregnant women or women with small children. There are and that is where women should be placed in the military. If they are in one of those jobs and become pregnant ther are things that can be done to accomodate that. If she signed up for a battle field role and becomes pregnant she has two options. Either have an abortion or get a dishonorable discharge

top topics

join