It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarah Palin rests her arm on the American flag! I'm calling for a formal apology.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Well, since this thread had taken a serious turn, I'll give a serious response.

The flag is a symbol. The Supreme Court has already ruled that desecrating the flag is a protected form of Free Speech, ruling against a Flag Burning Bill that was signed into law. Therefore, it is entirely an individual's Constitutional right to do with this symbol as they so chose.

However, that symbol is a powerful symbol to many Americans, especially to Veterans. To treat that symbol with disrespect, even though it is your Constitutional right to do such, can and will be construed as offensive.

When you are a Public Official, especially one that is shooting for the highest Public Office in the Nation, your actions are no longer as an individual citizen, but become representative of your Nation.

When Bush made a disparaging comment about Broccoli, he got a backlash from Broccoli farmers in America. Bush did the right thing and apologized.

When Clinton offended women and African-Americans alike, he got backlash from both groups. Clinton did the right thing and apologized.

When Obama offended Special Needs Children by making a distasteful joke about his own Bowling skills on Jay Leno, he got backlash from the Special Olympics and parents of Special Needs children. Obama did the right thing and apologized.

That's what those in Public Office do when they offend a group of people through their individual actions. It's the responsible, civic-minded thing to do.

As a private citizen Palin is allowed to do whatever she wants to an American Flag without owing anyone an apology. However, as a public figure making a bid for public office, then she needs to consider how her actions may deeply offend others, and she needs to do the right thing if she ever truly hopes of proving herself as worthy as her predecessors who have held public office. She does need to apologize, genuinely and sincerely, for offending the American people by showing disrespect to the American flag.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by reasonable
This is satire & pointing out the hypocrisy of the right.. In other words had Obama posed with the flag like this and rested his arm on it, it would be an unbridled hell storm of controversy running on fox news 24/7. But when the right's biggest fan does it.. no one says a peep.

PEEP!

Oh, you are wrong.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

I also wonder if that photo was taken when she was 8 months pregnant

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by reasonable

So what? Does it really matter that she rested her arm on the American flag? You know Borat/Sasha wore a flag as a shirt. I've seen a number of tea baggers over the last few months wear similar shirts. Some people wear it as underwear. Some people burn it. Some people wipe their rear-ends with it. Some do even worse things.

Thankfully, in this country, it's not illegal or immoral to disrespect an American flag - intentional or otherwise. While I don't condone such acts of disrespect, I see no reason to start a witch hunt over it either.

Perhaps if Palin were still a Government Official, I would be more prone to being upset about it... since they are in a representative position. Still, as ditsy and disorganized as she appears - I honestly cannot fathom her intending any form of disrespect or contempt. "Never attribute malice to that which ignorance can easily account for."

As it is, Palin is a private citizen of the US no different than any of us here. She can treat the flag in whatever manner she deems appropriate. If how she goes about it significantly changes your opinion about her... that's fine. But I think it's it's improper and juvenile to demand a formal apology.

There's plenty of reasons not to like her... or to be concerned about regarding the hints of a possibility of her going for the Presidency in 2012.

.... but this isn't one of them IMO.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lasheic

So what? Does it really matter that she rested her arm on the American flag? You know Borat/Sasha wore a flag as a shirt. I've seen a number of tea baggers over the last few months wear similar shirts. Some people wear it as underwear. Some people burn it. Some people wipe their rear-ends with it. Some do even worse things.

Thankfully, in this country, it's not illegal or immoral to disrespect an American flag - intentional or otherwise. While I don't condone such acts of disrespect, I see no reason to start a witch hunt over it either.

Perhaps if Palin were still a Government Official, I would be more prone to being upset about it... since they are in a representative position. Still, as ditsy and disorganized as she appears - I honestly cannot fathom her intending any form of disrespect or contempt. "Never attribute malice to that which ignorance can easily account for."

As it is, Palin is a private citizen of the US no different than any of us here. She can treat the flag in whatever manner she deems appropriate. If how she goes about it significantly changes your opinion about her... that's fine. But I think it's it's improper and juvenile to demand a formal apology.

There's plenty of reasons not to like her... or to be concerned about regarding the hints of a possibility of her going for the Presidency in 2012.

.... but this isn't one of them IMO.

Hhahahaha .. This sounds too familiar .. I think i remember seeing someone post something like this in an anti-obama thread... and the person that posted got trashed talk by the anti-obama people...

i am sure you will get a lot of stars ..

[edit on 17-11-2009 by Polynomial C]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Gah, this is POINTLESS.. Who really cares?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
What a foolish thread.... Iwon't waste any more time here

-E-

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Oh No.. Resting arm on Flag. That it.

That's the last straw! We should string her up right away!

Make it someplace public.. like Wal-Mart.

Oh wait.. look at the tag.. this flag is from wal-mart - It was made in China!

~~~~~~RIP~~~~~~~~~

Well folks all I have to say is I can't tell you how many flags I have seen trampled, burned, cut up to make costumes etc.. People make way too much of this stuff. It's one thing to respect an official flag in wartime but what Sarah is doing does not prove a thing to be that she disrespects the flag in her heart. Besides, the Flag is only a symbol. Look at the shape this country is in. Look at the corruption in government who take away the rights of the people. If that's what the flag stands for these days perhaps we need a new flag.

I have the Flag the government gave my Daddy when he died for the service he gave to this country in Korea. This Flag I respect. I proudly hang it on a wall for all to see. back when my daddy served this Flag still had meaning.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Polynomial C

i am sure you will get a lot of stars ..

Well super duper. Unfortunately I could give a crap about stars or whether or not my views are popular. That's not why I come here, and you're welcome to browse the posts in my profile to verify for yourself.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Personally I'd much rather Sarah Palin's mother apologize for giving birth to her. Or apologize for telling her she's intelligent, or apologize for not drowning her in a swimming pool. These are the apologies I'd like to hear. She's about as intelligent, tactful, or important as a box of down syndrome rocks.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   

if you want an apology maybe you should ask Obamao...he seems to be good at issuing BS apologies to people that don't deserve them.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Seriously?

I am American, and for all I care the American flag can rot, and so can the National Anthem.

If only people would get this riled up over something that actually matters...like say, protecting the Constitution/Bill of Rights/Declaration? Getting rid of the Federal Reserve, just like Andrew Jackson? Stopping a corrupt Federal Government that has overstepped its boundaries?

I suppose to be a good American all one really needs to do is worship the flag, scream the National anthem at the top of one's lungs, obey the President no matter what, and gobble over-cooked hot dogs to the spectacle of pretty-flashing colors on the 4th of July.

I mean its the flag that gives us all of our freedom right? Its our flag that protects us from tyranny? Its our flag that stands up and defends our right to free speech? To bear arms?

Shees, we sure are a lucky country, I mean, we've got this flag that defends us so we don't have to...and don't you dare disrespect it!

Please, I don't need a flag, I don't need a National Anthem, I don't need fireworks, I don't need the military...I'll just use the 2nd amendment to defend my freedom from that document that actually matters.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Good show on the satire.

If Obama did this they would be burning him in effigy on Pennsylvania avenue.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
yes, this is a little...uhh...."too much" to complain about

but it just draws a comparison to all of the same styled arguments put forth by Mrs. Palin during the elections when Obama didn't wear his flag pen.

I believe a few things come to mind:

What goes around comes around

If you can't take it, don't dish it out

and of course, tit for tat. But what would politics be without any of that?

etc..

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grandma

As for myself, I see nothing wrong with the photo. I do not believe it was intentional, it's just a photo shoot. Get over it!

Peace,
Grandma

I agree with grandma.
Get over it.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

Like her grandson? You are a complete rumphole for what you wrote. It was nothing but a tirade that insults more than just Sarah Palin with your remark.

We hate in others what we hate about ourselves or what we cannot obtain in our own lives. It is called jealousy and you certainly prove it with the witty remarks you post.

There is nothing wrong with the picture. There is no desecration. This is a subject reserved for the ones who fear those who speak the truth and can do little more than attack the family of those who have accomplished more than they could ever do with their own pathetic lives.

BTW--She is HOT in that picture
Maybe your wife/girlfriend looks like one of the moose she shoots for fun and you feel a little inadequate????

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris1953
She's about as intelligent, tactful, or important as a box of down syndrome rocks.

i'd say the same thing about you by your comments.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I wonder what would be the reaction if her boob was touching the flag? OMG!?!?!?!?
Some of you people are beyond saving.

I think Im saluting in my pants right now. Thats a hot pic.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71

You are a complete rumphole for what you wrote. It was nothing but a tirade that insults more than just Sarah Palin with your remark.

I can live with that. Have a great day.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris1953

Originally posted by esdad71

You are a complete rumphole for what you wrote. It was nothing but a tirade that insults more than just Sarah Palin with your remark.

I can live with that. Have a great day.

You can live with what? Yourself? No, lets dig a little deeper. First, it is sick that anyone would give you a star for making fun of some who has or lives with someone who has Downs Syndrome.

I have a great day every day so I do not need your blessing to continue the path that I feel I enjoy which is being open minded and not attacking those who cannot defend themselves. It is called having balls.

Please tell me, in all of your infinite wisdom, how the picture shows a person desecrating the flag or doing something to demean the country we live in and you feel so proud of. Please try.

I you can live with yourself being a rumphole I guess you answered my question on what type of person you truly are. The one who would tell someone to hit them and then sue them. the kind of person who would call the cops before settling an argument like a real man would, with intelligent conversation and coming to a conclusion that the world can live with.

[edit on 17-11-2009 by esdad71]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join