It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blinking stars among the midnight sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Recently I have noticed almost every night when I am out of the city I can see what appears to be blinking stars.
Is there any explanation for this. Is it some kind of phenomena?
So dark and quiet out in the country, no lights around, first time I have seen the milky way in a long time.

Most of these blinking stars appear normal white, sometimes reddish colour and appear 360 degrees to my view point but seem way out there.

I don't spot anything to close.
Have seen some shooting stars and sats whip through the sky also.

Anybody know what's going on.
All of this is occuring in northern SW Ontario.

thanks,
Nate

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Stars seem to blink due to the phenomenon called 'refraction of light'
when light from the stars travel through different layers of atmosphere of the earth, they undergo refraction for a few seconds or more which makes the light from the stars cut from our line of view. Once the light resumes its path, then the light reaches our eyes again and we are able to see the stars again-this cutting and resuming of the light path makes the stars twinkle

Or a ufo is watching you!

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
have you never heard the song twinkle twinkle little star?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
That's how I was taught the difference between a star and a planet. Stars blink like that, and planets are a steady light that don't twinkle.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
These guys are all liars.
light in sky that goes twinkle twinkle= Alien spirit and or mind orb.
Prett much if you see one of these you HAVE to shoot it down with a fire arm gun or you have to run away from it.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Its called scintillation...

Scintillation
Scintillation or twinkling are generic terms for rapid variations in apparent brightness or color of a distant luminous object viewed through a medium, most commonly the atmosphere (atmospheric scintillation).
If the object lies outside the earth's atmosphere, as in the case of stars and planets, the phenomenon is termed astronomical scintillation; if the luminous source lies within the atmosphere, the phenomenon is termed terrestrial scintillation.
As one of the three principal factors governing astronomical seeing, atmospheric scintillation is defined as variations in illuminance only, and so twinkling does not cause blurring of astronomical images. It is clearly established that almost all scintillation effects are caused by anomalous refraction caused by small-scale fluctuations in air density usually related to temperature gradients. Normal wind motion transporting such fluctuations across the observer's line of sight produces the irregular changes in intensity characteristic of scintillation. The primary cause of such small-scale fluctuations is turbulent mixing of air with different temperatures.
Scintillation effects are always much more pronounced near the horizon than near the zenith (straight up). Parcels of air with sizes of the order of only centimeters to decimeters are believed to produce most of the scintillatory irregularities in the atmosphere. Atmospheric scintillation is measured quantitatively using a scintillometer.
Scintillation effects are reduced by using a larger receiver aperture. This effect is known as aperture averaging.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I used to see stars dart left and right.
I`m presuming that it is my eyes adjusting focus. It did concern me at first.

new topics

top topics

join