It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Mortified By Obama's Bow

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by slatsmandu

That discription was from the article.
Not the thread poster.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by slatsmandu

Nobody is talking about that here.

Thank you for confirming what I said on page 4. A star for you. I'm in Iwaki, Fukushima.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
1) You don't bow and shake hands at the same time; that's a Japanese no-no
2) You don't bow that deeply unless you're apologizing
3) Japanese take their protocol much more seriously than the Brits so the "Won" looked like a fool

Q: Why did the American President bow so deeply when the rest of the world leaders politely shook hands?
A: Because we have an amateur in the White House

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
No, I'm not an Attorney but I hire them and produce the money to pay them. The system has been rigged by Attorneys so that we can't operate without them. It's all a con game. Please be an honest, reliable Attorney yourself as they are hard to find. Come back an talk to me after you have opened your own office (not gone to work for a Firm where it's all done for you) and met payroll on time, every time for 25 years. Even if you have to go without pay to do it at times.

Obama got an education on the "dole". I worked graveyard shifts while carrying a full load in school.

Obama's money came from the taxpayers and donors to the organizations he represented. He has never had to produce the money he spent. I started with $190 and groveled for every penny until I now support 7 families. He applied for loans and grants while I worked.

He is indecisive and inexperienced as is evidenced by the fact he voted "Present" on nearly every vote as a State Representative and now he can't seem to make command decisions where Soldiers lives are on the line.

He keeps making protocol mistakes because he was foolish enough to hire his friends and those he owed favors too instead of qualified people. I learned that lesson while still managing another persons business. Only a naive person hires friends or family. They will let you down every time.

I'd say yes he is unqualified and we will have to agree to disagree.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nutzoid
I guess you haters think he should have just said "Sup? while barely looking up from his iphone. Obama represents America, and he just tried to show him that America respects Japan and their cultures. It's not important if he bowed too low, or if he had bowed not low enough etc. If that emperor were to come to the states, would he not, as a guest, be inclined to bow to his host deeply, to show his respect in light of being invited to the other leaders Country?

Actually, no, they wouldn't bow low. I've met with many japanese, granted, at japanese gift stores but still. Some of them do know me, and yes they do bow, but NEVER have I seen them bow THAT low, not even on the same level. They would never bow as deep as say, a child would bow to a teacher. I think you honestly don't know squat about their culture and are now making up garbage to help defend Obama.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
He isn't even bowing properly! My sensei would push him over if he saw that.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Only the right-wing folks can really believe Obama's bow is "humiliating" to their country and only Fox News can spit out sucha massive lie without even blinking: Japan's "mortified" by Obama's bow? What did they do ? Conduct a nation-wide poll and asked millions of Japanese? And all of it, in like, 24hrs?

As someone previously said, all they do is bash Obama every opportunity they get. If they don't have the opportunity they fabricate one and that's what makes the whole thing even more pathetic.

I say, good luck and four more years Mr. president!

[edit on 17-11-2009 by BlackShark]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
People who get outraged by such trivial nonsense are an embarrassment to humankind, it's so pathetic. You have been so occupied by non issues you haven't realized that your future is gone and your country is no longer wealthy and stable. Soon you will be jumping the border to Mexico in search of a better life.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Jes

It is like toss what you can for four years, everytime you find something to chuck-

Yall would much rather have sociopath back in there I think-

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by benoni
YAWN...you conservatives are pathetic....

Sounds to me like your saying SuperPowers bow to no one....

Do you realise how shallow you sound????

Yes, super powers should bow to no one. Your point being?
Tell me one good reason why the President of the USA should bow like a school boy to the figurehead emperor of Japan.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
OMG... He didn't bow correctly!!... He is clearly unqualified to be president... Impeach!!... Geeze, at least he's not getting shoes thrown at him... Please guys....

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by thomas_

Besides the US once killed thousands of innocent people in Japan and became the first and only country in the world to drop a atomic bomb in another country.

I think you need to go back to school and learn who the aggressors were in the WWII Pacific war between Japan and America. There was a little event at Pearl Harbor that you might have heard about. You might also want to look up The Baatan Death March and learn about how the Japanese treated POWs.

You Tool..

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Ahh its no big deal to the Japanese. They will just smile politely and then laugh behind his back saying "baka gaijin....cho omoshiroi"

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
At least he's trying to show some respect.

Screw all those jap[anese] formalities. Seriously, who [snip] about what the japanese think about culture nowadays.

Bowing to show respect and gratitude is a universal thing.

(unless you're some stubborn american who thinks showing respect is a sign of weakness)

[edit on 11/17/2009 by die_another_day]

Removed a profanity and a racist term.

1b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content. You will also not use common alternative spellings or net-speak alternative for profane words.

2) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive, hateful, intolerant, bigoted and/or racist manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

[edit on 11/17/2009 by die_another_day]

[edit on 18/11/09 by masqua]

[edit on 18/11/09 by masqua]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
In different times, that bow would have cost him his head, he was in total submission.
You would never bow that deep, to someone unless father, master.
At least he still ,has head, and I don't know what was going on, on the other end.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Why do people keep citing their own articles on the examiner as a source? I can make up an article about the moon being made out of cheese and use to support a thread about why Tostitos should fund a lunar base.

The bow was all of two seconds but if you freeze frame it and stare at it all day, a kitty cat pops out of the picture like the old magic eye posters. I think it's hilarious that the neocons are so desperate to attack the man that he can't trip on the sidewalk without it becoming front page story at Fox News. If you want to maintain some semblance of journalistic integrity, why don't you choose your battles a little more selectively. This is laughable.

[edit on 17-11-2009 by andrewh7]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

Yes, but as has been noted, he wasn't prepped appropriately and that is a concern far greater than whether he botched a cultural norm. Have you been reading?

Screw all those jap formalities. Seriously, who gives a fu*k about what the japanese think about culture nowadays.

Tolerant much?

So, make up your mind. Is it respectful or is it a formality that "should be screwed"... your post contradicts itself and you appear to be confused, judgmental, intolerant and racist.
Are you?

[edit on 18-11-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
NO ONE is talking about this, let alone mortified.

They are talking about the bizarre reaction that the US media is having about it, though:

It's in Japanese, but you can see the way they're treating the story - it's all about the US coverage. This story, before the US press weighted in, was a complete non-event.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by googolplex
In different times, that bow would have cost him his head, he was in total submission.
You would never bow that deep, to someone unless father, master.
At least he still ,has head, and I don't know what was going on, on the other end.

In different times, a black man would not be the president of the United States and the emperor of Japan would actually have some type of authority rather than simply being a empty figurehead. If there were any justice in the world, some idiot would follow you around 24/7 to catch you on tape every time you pick your nose, scratch your crotch, or lose your footing. Is your life so empty that you have to fixate on every trivial mistake the man is said to have made by right-wing bloggers? You geniuses would rather have the president wear a cowboy hat and be despised by every nation in the world. Here's a tip: being respectful by making a good faith effort to honor the customs of another culture is far more effective than labeling anyone who criticizes you as supporters of terrorism.

I can't wait until tomorrow when Fox News gets a photo of Obama's shoes untied or some ketchup on his tie. I don't want to know about two wars, arab-israeli conflict, economy, health care, or anything that actually matters. Just feed me meaningless drivel, fearmongering, and hateful rhetoric. That's America putting its best foot forward!

Neocons are a cancer to this country.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Originally posted by die_another_day

Yes, but as has been noted, he wasn't prepped appropriately and that is a concern far greater than whether he botched a cultural norm. Have you been reading?

Screw all those jap formalities. Seriously, who gives a fu*k about what the japanese think about culture nowadays.

Tolerant much?

So, make up your mind. Is it respectful or is it a formality that "should be screwed"... your post contradicts itself and you appear to be confused, judgmental, intolerant and racist.
Are you?
[edit on 17-11-2009 by LadySkadi]

Why do you ask her to make up her mind? You don't care what her answer is because you intend to frame it negatively. You neocons manufacture a false controversy and claim it came from the Japanese. This never happened - the Japanese who did report on it were reporting on the absurd response of America's right wing media. Let me save you some time, and tell you what your responses will be:

If your opponent states that the bow is simply a sign of respect that should not be given all this scrutiny, you're going to say that we are denigrating Japanese culture.

If your opponent emphasizes the importance of the bow in terms of showing respect, you're going to say that the President should not have bowed because it shows weakness.

So, there is nothing Obama can do that won't be met with more "townhall" rhetoric. Neocons are a joke and your deductive reasoning skills are no better than a fifth grader's. Oops - now you're going to say that I hate kids!

[edit on 17-11-2009 by andrewh7]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join