It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Mortified By Obama's Bow

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
The problem here is that every US president mus have a good cabinet and an excellent public relations department.

Obama has neither.

He hasn't surrounded himself with the people that are supposed to know these things and keep him informed, prepped and ready. He has surrounded himself with enthusiastic, idealistic, idiots and yes men who dont care what traditional roles in politics mean.

How can he know what to do? His support team is telling him everything to do and they are mostly wrong.

Unfortunately for him, or fortunately if you like seeing him screw up, he doesn't know just how badly he has handicapped himself.

Or, of course, it's quite possible that he does these things because he thinks he knows better, in which case he gets what he puts into it.

[edit on 17-11-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
First of all President Obama has the responsibility to uphold the dignity he was given by the American voters when he took office and so far he is not doing an ace job when he refuses to hold his hand over his heart during the National Anthem, bows like a surf to the Middle eastern power brokers and now insulting the Japanese culture by bowing below the head level of those he wishes respect in return from.

You would think that he is simply nervous and self conscious, and that it is just being over the top with humility. But no he knows full well just as the majority of average US citizens that when you bow to the Japanese high Minister and his wife you don't bow as a common street peasant, he knew what he was doing and it was not out of humility!

The Japanese elites do not sit and negotiate with commoners, they cannot afford to debate with peasants!

S@F Slayer!

Is he simply looking for another country to take him in after he completes the final sale of America to foreign interests? If he continues to make these types of errors that is precisely what he will need to do!

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
He has surrounded himself with enthusiastic, idealistic, idiots

Oh man, you just graduated my lukewarm appreciation of Obama into a mild respect. We do need enthusiastic and idealistic people to drag this country of of the pit dug by cynical and cold-hearted crowd of the previous administration, who weren't good at anything anyway.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Did everyone forget this?

Or this?

I guess so.

I'm not a fan of Obama but I could care less about a bow he did. I doubt anyone else cares either except for Haters and bitter Conservatives.

(I love you Slayer but not this thread lol)

[edit on 17-11-2009 by GorehoundLarry]

[edit on 17-11-2009 by GorehoundLarry]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
A little lower and he might as well switch his name to Monica.

IMO, Obama screwed up. I blame it on the people who surround him and I am sure he gave them an earful as well.

Betcha that if he had to meet the Emperor tomorrow, his bow would not be as low as this one.

We all learn from mistakes and I am sure Obama has learned from this one.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

What is he suppose to learn? Not to bow too low? lol This shouldn't even be considered a big deal once so ever.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
It's not often i feel sorry for a politician, but i think with Obama it's a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't.

He'd have been slated whatever he did. (And no i'm not a fan)

CX.

i agree
it seems he just cant win whatever he does.
you can never please everyone

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

ROFLMAO!!!! now those were FUNNY moments...Not STUPID moments like this thread is all about.
How can you compare Bush dancing and trying to open a locked door, to Obama nearly giving the Japanesse 2 seconds of head?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good

ROFLMAO!!!! now those were FUNNY moments...Not STUPID moments like this thread is all about.
How can you compare Bush dancing and trying to open a locked door, to Obama nearly giving the Japanesse 2 seconds of head?

No you can't compare because Bush moments were amusing and worth discussing. Obama's bow however seemed to be out of great respect.....

Anything Obama does, you will make a deal out of it.

If McCain was president, liberals would make a big deal out of something he does.

Since 2000, I've noticed both sides and both parties have shown us their true sides: A bunch of crybabies who can't get over the fact their candidate lost the election. Get over it.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Those things that you posted Bush doing were just endearing. He looks like her really enjoyed his time dancing and drumming and genuinely liked those folks. And as far as the China thing, I am sure we have all tried the wrong exit before.

These things are nothing like being unprepared to exhibit the proper social graces when you meet foreign dignitatries. Maybe Obama should appoint a Protocol Czar before ends up taking one off the chin.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I tend to bow with my back turned and pants down around my ankles.

You think that would offend?

How does this even make the news? Who cares?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry

What is he suppose to learn? Not to bow too low? lol This shouldn't even be considered a big deal once so ever.

This needs to be considered from the point of view of Japanese culture interpretation. Just because an action isn't a "big deal" in the US does not mean it's not a "big deal" somewhere else. As has been noted already, bowing in Japanese culture is both respect and status oriented. It is a big deal, if one is unaware of the cultural perspective and what one might knowingly, or unknowingly be conveying. Like it or not, the Pres. is the face of the US and needs to be aware of the messages he's sending.

*also, it's not wise to assume that everyone who questions Obama's actions or decisions is a conservative who's "party lost the election"... in many cases, this isn't true at all*

[edit on 17-11-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Now those were some of W's more endearing moments! I can almost like him when he does something like that......

At least Obama did not puke on his host's shoes.....

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Of course it's relevant, because it distracts from things that are actually important. I mean what would you rather hear about? An American president not being completely tuned in to Japanese formality systems... or the fact the DOW is up by eight thousand?

Kinda the same train of thought that lets us know more about what goes on between Paris Hilton's thighs than what goes on in Iraq.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

HOW OTHERS GREET JAPANESE EMP...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/505de1e76dda.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Not to be the BUTT of all jokes.

Seriously, Obama is just like any President before him. They have had their share of embarrassing moments.

You call it him showing respect- I'm cool with that.

But as I said earlier, I bet he never takes a bow like that again.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cauch1

Originally posted by SLAYER69
One could only imagine the type of groveling that went on behind closed doors in Beijing.

You do know that Beijing is in China right, not Japan. They were at the imperial palace which is in Tokyo.

Just thought someone out to point it out.

-Cauch1

No!

REALLY???????

Star for you.

We could all use a laugh.

You are aware of his recent trip to china?
maybe not.

CX

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I reckon we should trade Obama for our Prince Phillip, then you'd really have something to talk about when it comes to cultural ettiquette and embarrassing moments.

This whole page, and more links at the side, are slips up's by Buckingham Palace's finest.

Prince Phillip slip-ups

CX.

[edit on 17/11/09 by CX]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink
I do believe bowing in Japan is a sign of respect, not a sign of submission. It's not like crawling on your hands and knees before a European King of the past. In fact, I would bet the majority of the Japanese people have greater respect for Obama for showing the courtesy.

Uh, you did read in the OP that this is what the JAPANESE think about the whole thing and they say they were mortified at obama's weak behavior..

What you think is a proper japanese bow irrelevant to the discussion - since how would you have a clue?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Now now, let's be fair, those situations weren't involving submission to royalty!

This is:

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join