It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Mortified By Obama's Bow

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
OK here we go...

When our Allies are embarrassed then you know there is something afoot. It's one thing to show cultural respect but too much Kowtowing makes one look weak. One could only imagine the type of groveling that went on behind closed doors in Beijing.

Some Say Obama makes Carter look like a tiger.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/505de1e76dda.gif[/atsimg]

Japanese Mortified By Obama's Bow

ABC's Jake Tapper reports that at least one Japanese newspaper is not printing the picture of the president's mortifying bow because the Japanese are embarrassed by his behavior. A scholar of traditional Japan tells Mr. Tapper, "The bow… did not just display weakness in Red State terms, but evoked weakness in Japanese terms… The last thing the Japanese want or need is a weak-looking American president."

Wasn't this president elected to restore our alliances and repair our images abroad? Now he's embarrassed the U.S. and one of our allies all at the same time. That takes real effort.

[edit on 17-11-2009 by SLAYER69]

+33 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Fox News will beat the crap out of Obama every chance they get. This is blown out of proportion IMO. The article you link has a terrible title and then quickly changes subject to Obama's health plan. I don't buy it.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Wormwood Squirm

OK here is another source.
SPIN METER: Did Obama grovel?

WASHINGTON — Some conservative commentators seized on President Barack Obama's deep bow to Japan's Emperor Akihito over the weekend, accusing the U.S. commander in chief of groveling before a foreign leader.

So did he?

While it may have been an awkward moment, it wasn't without precedent. And it appeared to be well within protocol guidelines that the State Department issues for foreign service officers working in other countries.

U.S. presidents from both political parties have often been criticized for their attempts at culturally sensitive greetings to high-ranking foreigners.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
That is certainly a terrible looking bit of "ojigi". I feel dirtied with the knowledge that not only did Obama bow so deeply but that he also shook hands at the same time.

I have to go and lie down now, the shock is almost too much... I might have to pour bleach into my eyes if the vision of Obama and the horror of the bow-kowtow does not ease soon.

(slow news day eh?)

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Obama bows to Japanese Emperor, and even the Japanese are embarrassed

Good grief.

Want a sense of just how jarring it was for Obama to prostrate himself before the Japanese emperor?

Well, even the Japanese are mortified and trying to minimize the embarrassment to the American Presidency.

According to ABC News, the Kyodo News – Japan’s equivalent of the Associated Press – has declined to publish and propagate the really embarrassing photo of the President of the United States bowing before Emperor Akihito and instead will use a photo of the less humiliating nod-and-shake Obama offered to the Empress.

+10 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wormwood Squirm

Fox News will beat the crap out of Obama every chance they get. This is blown out of proportion IMO. The article you link has a terrible title and then quickly changes subject to Obama's health plan. I don't buy it.

Uh... The OP quoted Jake Tapper from ABC.
I think you suffer from Fox Derangement Syndrome.

Back to the topic of the long awaited response from the Japanese. Clearly, Obama is being handled by rookies in the Protocol department.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I'm really wondering where the schmucks were when President Obama was wearing a yarmulke when visiting holy Jewish places. I think that was indeed a sign a weakness. Or was it? Why does the American President have to cover his head at all? Do you say "cultural sensitivity"? Why does it only work for Jews and not for the Japanese?

[edit on 17-11-2009 by buddhasystem]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

So Slayer, what is it you believe about this situation.

Is this really relevant news?

+33 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Were they "mortified" when Bush kissed the Saudi King? Were they just as mortified when Nixon bowed even more deeply to the Chinese Chairman? Somehow I seem to doubt it. It's only a big deal when it's Obama.

+7 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I am all for respecting the culture of a host nation. However, Obama's bow went far beyond the typical greeting in Japanese culture. This is why he is being criticized from both sides of the Pacific.

Comparing a yarmulke to a bow doesn't really jive. Imagine the shock if the Emperor gave Obama the traditional urban handshake or bumped his knuckles.

CX
+5 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
It's not often i feel sorry for a politician, but i think with Obama it's a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't.

He'd have been slated whatever he did. (And no i'm not a fan)

CX.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Alan watt i listened to yesterdya and he said john kerry called moon of the un, highness or something.

Now is that american?

Take that and what obama is doing, and you have to think what obama is doing, is on purpose. Are they trying to bring a sense of what real americans should feel towards these people, i.e americans have no history and you are not on the same level as some of these royals and un leader.

Wft is going on with this?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Star for you. And not just Obama, but virtually every politician will have a significant percentage of slaggers no matter what they do, just by virtue of it being a contentious game.

I doubt all Japanese were "mortified". Some were, some weren't. Had he dropped the Emperor with a forearm shiver then tapped him out with a rear naked choke, some would have been mortified, some would have thought it was a sign of strength.

Wait'll he shares kitten kebabs with Kim Jong-Il, then we'll have a story.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I know we went over this when the President bow to a Saudi King, he needs to fire his Protocal team. No US President needs to bow to anyone. A

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Wormwood Squirm

Look he bowdown to the Jap Emperor, He should not have done this, If he doesnt want his enemies throwing mud on him, then he shouldnt do crap like this.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Look, too many of us have perished so that our President would not bow to any king... so why the bowing... screw em....
if you owe the world 67 trillion and the world is only worth 64 trillion..
go for broke.... ask em if they want a few more trillion... and smile....

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It's all so racist.

"Oh look a China man. They bow, right? I better bow too......like a jackass."

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Well this isn't the first time he has prostrated himself.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a7be6d58a861.jpg[/atsimg]

In many Asian cultures bowing is very important no doubt. However a mutual bow shows respect, one that is very deep as what Obama has done signifies being submissive, inferior or less than.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/29d9bf77f5c4.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 17-11-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I do believe bowing in Japan is a sign of respect, not a sign of submission. It's not like crawling on your hands and knees before a European King of the past. In fact, I would bet the majority of the Japanese people have greater respect for Obama for showing the courtesy.

That macho man cowboy attitude that conservative seem to expect is simply seen as being rude by much of the world. What they may think is a sign of strength is seen as a sign of weakness to others. The America president is simply not the emperor of the world who can refuse to temporary adopt local courtesies.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I could be wrong but I though the Japanese bowed to each other as a form of greeting the same as Ameicans shaking hands.

If one were in another country I would think it to be normal to try to live or act within their customs.

If the customary greeting in the US were to give me a high five, then on the flip side, now down low...oh you're too slow....I would think the visiting envoy would atleast attempt it, and like Obama probably make an ass out himself doing it.

It seems like people are equivalating him bowing, to him being on his knees groveling for a hand out saying "I got these cheeseburgers...."

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join