It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiny Insect Brains Solve Big Problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Insects may have tiny brains, but they can perform some seriously impressive feats of mental gymnastics.

According to a growing number of studies, some insects can count, categorize objects, even recognize human faces -- all with brains the size of pinheads.

Despite many attempts to link the volume of an animal's brain with the depth of its intelligence, scientists now propose that it's the complexity of connections between brain cells that matters most. Studying those connections -- a more manageable task in a little brain than in a big one -- could help researchers understand how bigger brains, including those of humans, work.

I saw this and found it interesting. Now I know why bees chase me, and only me, when I swat at them...they recognize me.
Anyway, I wanted to share this story...It's amazing how complex even the smallest of brains can BEE

Enjoy!

SOURCE: news.discovery.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Just take ants, amazing little pests. Its amazing to think compared to our size brain, why would there brain be big enough like the article said to do all the things they can do.

I just wonder like our brains, do they also transmit and receive, and where do brains transmit and receive too.

Nice find, amazing, just look at the scale compared to us, and they still can do all those things, why is that?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I think most insects have collective intelligence , ..on
their own they're fairly dense , but in a group , display
an intuition way beyond their means .?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I have a pet tarantula. It's a pretty normal spider except for one little thing.

I can reach into her cage and snatch her right up. Sometimes she will try to climb the glass, I'll stick my hand in there and she will actually climb on to my hand and wait for me to take her out.

I can hand her to other people with no problems.

Here is the strange part.

I can reach in there and pick her right up with no issue.

If you where to reach in there... well.... you better pray you are faster than she is.

I give you Charlie, my tarantula. (sorry about the quality, was taken with a cell cam.)

[edit on 17-11-2009 by DaMod]

new topics

top topics

join