It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we even have war anymore?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
In the old days, there was a motivation for going to war...the spoils. Gold and glory. There was a definate "victory" in war when the opposing side gave up or were wiped off the face of the earth or forced to move to another geographical area. What is "victory" today in the wars that we are fighting? Is the US ever going to reap the spoils of war from Iraq? Some people on here would say that we have thru having to rebuild a society using our companies, but that really isnt the spoils of war here.

Also, Afganistan. What the hell is the point, honestly? In the old days, a revenge war would end in the annihaltion of your enemy. Today, people get all touchy feely of how we treat our enemies so much that it hinders the military to do its traditional job.

I honestly long for the old way of doing things. The stuff was much more clear. When we fought Germany and Japan there was a definate victory that was set and obtained. With the two wars that we are fighting now, I dont see a definate victory. I just see the US using its military power to show the world that we still have it. I could understand if we were actually fighting the wars like we are suppossed to which is going after everybody and everything that makes a move against us but we are binding our own hands. Every time a bomb drops and there is collateral damage (which is just a reality in war), its like the world has a heart attack. Yeah, its not cool to bomb children, we get that. But, there is no way in the world that you can make every bomb go exactly where it wants to be and only kill the "bad guys". It just doesnt work like that. The people with the loudest mouths go all huffy puffy when something like that happens in war but they dont realize that it is WAR and its impossible for it to be 100% clean.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
My opinion is that these days if there is war it is because someone or some group wants it that way.
I think the same thing of starvation in Africa...someone wants it that way.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Man has always fought wars over territory and resources. In past times, before advanced agricultural techniques created a surplus, if there were not enough resources to feed a population then people would do what they thought they had to do to survive. Warfare also kept poulations in check. Sadly enough, even with the advances in agricultural science, manking seems not to have lost it's appetite for war.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Why do have have war?

Money.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enrikez
Why do have have war?

Money.

Its always been the same.

Plus the people making the money where not the ones fighting, so why should they care?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I am really torn on the subject of the necessity of war. I feel like a true pacifist, however there are and probably will be (assuming nothing changes in the coming years) people who seek power and destruction in their lives, causing the deaths on countless innocent people. As Alfred the butler said in the Dark Knight: "Some people want to see the world burn". Whatever the secret motives or NWO plans behind war, it is painful to stand by and watch our brothers and sisters being mercilessly slaughtered and not do anything about it. This is why I support the war in afghanistan to some point; the taliban had a ruthless regime were any kind of opposition to their shia law resulted in unimaginable torture and torment. Starving children would have their hands cut off because they would steal bread from the market place. Men who were accused as being dissidents were decapitated. Women were brutally opressed to the point where it was against the law for them to leave their house, let alone speak to anyone who was not a part of their family. Regimes like these still exist today, and to support peace in the future, it may be necessary sometimes to abort it in the presence.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

In the old days the kings would be in the battlefield as well.
Do you think we would still have wars if little suit and tie wimps like Obama and Bush had to do that??

I personally would like to re-invent how we do war to suit the society of today.(its a sick society so don't blame me)
I think we should get the leaders who wanted it and throw them in a cage to fight til the death of one of them.
I bet they wouldn't be declaring war very quickly would they??

But there is still the loophole that people would just elect muscle bound presidents.

I would love to see a good ufc fight with the leader of Iran and the leader of Isreal to put an end to it.
Now THAT would be a good ppv.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Its still all about the spoils. They just don't bother lying about those spoils going to anyone but the hands dangling the strings anymore. No, these days its a moral victory for the people, and another economic conquest for the top 2%.

Except Afghanistan. I'm pretty sure we're staying there so we can nail Pakistan with a two pronged attack when India invades.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Enrikez

I'd also like to add religion.

Religion keeps people divided.

As long as you have a corrupt/greedy world that's divided, there will always be war.

top topics

join