It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graphic, Violent Images Can Curb Kid's Aggression

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Here's an interesting article, I copied it since I couldn't get the link to work.

Graphic, Violent Images Can Curb Kids' Aggression
Tue May 18, 2004 03:25 PM ET
By Alison McCook
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Showing children realistic and graphic images of the consequences of violence appears to quell some of their aggressive tendencies, new research reports.

After seeing pictures of people treated for gunshot wounds, including a man whose stomach was ripped apart by a bullet and a woman who lost her 8-month old fetus when she was shot in the abdomen, children and teens demonstrated an improvement in their attitudes toward conflict and aggression.

After looking at those pictures, participants showed signs that they would be "less likely to solve interpersonal conflict in a violent way," study author Dr. Edward E. Cornwell, III told Reuters Health.

Cornwell argued that some of the current problems of violence among teens and children may stem from the fact that they are often surrounded by media that "minimize the consequences of violence."

For instance, Cornwell described a recent rap video that includes a scene in which a singer is shot, but is followed by another scene in which he appears unscathed by the experience.

In response, the researcher said that he and his colleagues are currently putting together a public service announcement that holds the images of violence included in rap videos up to actual photos of trauma victims. "This is reality," said Cornwell, chief of adult trauma at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.

In the study, Cornwell and his team asked 97 boys and girls between the ages of 7 and 17 about their attitudes toward conflict and aggression. The researchers then showed the teens and children pictures of people who had been shot, and resurveyed 48 participants an average of 30 days later to see if their attitudes had changed.

All children and teens were participating in programs held at Police Athletic League (PAL) centers. PAL is a program designed to deter youth crime and violence.

The researchers saw a general improvement in attitudes toward conflict and aggression, and noted a particularly significant decrease in aggressive tendencies among the female participants.

In an interview, Cornwell noted that it is important to look at girls' attitudes toward violence, since many children and teens are raised by single mothers, and therefore likely get some of their attitudes about aggression from women.

Cornwell conceded that the children and teens in the study may not represent all youths. The fact that they were enrolled in PAL programs suggests they were motivated to get off of the streets.

He added that the best time to show kids the effects of violence may be early, before they have had a chance to experiment with drugs and crime. Waiting until it's too late can be equivalent to "offering swimming lessons from the bottom of the pool," he said.

The researchers presented their findings this month during the annual conference of the American Trauma Society in Arlington, Virginia.

� Reuters 2004. All Rights Reserved.

[Edited on 22-5-2004 by Star Eagle]

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I find that hard to believe, The Corpolital wants a culture foaming at the mouth hungry for more violence and blood lust.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   
have you guys seen Clockwork Orange.....?

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I think this is a shocking report!! When has aggression and violence been used to change bad behaviour or attitudes?? We know that violence breeds violence!! All that this is doing, of showing graphic details and images to children, is causing them to be shocked!! Shock can cause a kind of numbness, calming effect on the mind and emotions, but when this wears off [so to speak], then all kinds of anti-social behaviour and emotional disturbances will manifest!! This can happen weeks or even years later!! There is NO WAY you show graphic pictures of such gore and horror to children!! Its sick!!

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
when I see those kinds of pics, I just wanna go out and kill some bad guys.

Especially the Nick Berg video, that made me wanna enlist and go medievel on some iraqis. It gave me a surge of die-hard Nationalism.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
This has already been covered here: =)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by chazah
We know that violence breeds violence!! All that this is doing, of showing graphic details and images to children, is causing them to be shocked!! Shock can cause a kind of numbness, calming effect on the mind and emotions, but when this wears off [so to speak], then all kinds of anti-social behaviour and emotional disturbances will manifest!! This can happen weeks or even years later!!

Umm... I've been playing violent video games, watching violent movies, seeing violence on TV since I was like 5... I'm not going out and murdering fools. All I think violence does to young children is desensitizes them, which is still not a good thing, but I don't believe violent images cause people to become serial killers.

I hate when the media and general public rips on violent movies and video games (GTA and Matrix anyone? Those are always scapegoats). First of all, if this generation's parents actually paid some attention to their kids maybe they wouldn't be turning out so crappy. We shouldn't ask "what are these images doing to our kids." so much as "how are our kids being exposed to this stuff." Parents have the power to block MTV and other things from their kids, parents are the ones who have to buy movies and games for their kids, so just stop buying violent stuff, problem solved.

Oh, and about the argument that always comes up, "Well kids can go over other people's houses and see this stuff," those parents suck too. If my kid (I don't have one, I'm only 20 now) goes over some fool's house then comes home talking about blood and guts, I'm gonna go over there and give those parents a stern talking to. Parents need to start taking responsiblity for their kids and stop turning good entertainment (for adults) into the scapegoats. Before you know it games and movies with guns, that are entertaining or fine for adults, will be banned because they "turn our little kids into murderers." That's a bunch of bull.

Sorry for the rant, but as an avid video gamer and lover of action movies I feel strongly about this topic.

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   
It makes sense that scarring images would deter kids from violence.

The brain makes the connection that

violence=gaping wound in your abdomen

gaping wound in your abdomen=Bad

violence=Bad

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
This has already been covered here: =)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Right you are parrhesia. When I ran a search here on the 18th it came up empty, I was trying for a couple of days to get a link to work before I just decided to copy it. I guess I should have ran another search before posting this thread.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I think you are all missing a very big point:

There is no consequence to much of the violence you see in tv, movies, etc.

This shows the consequences.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Exposure to violence can also hardwire the brain so that the child will react in the
same manner he/she has been exposed to when provoked or stressed.

It may relieve the initial anxiety, but the repercussions outweigh any benefit.
If all they see is violence and destruction eventually they will emanate it.

3 million Americans in prison so far, and thousands of kids on psychotropic medications.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I dont get it

sounds like someone has a lust for slaughter if you ask me.

Violent images wont do anything for EVERYBODY,maybe the test subjects showed a change, but I have a feeling that someone wont be affected

top topics

join