It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miliband calls for majority of Taliban to be reintegrated into Afghan society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Miliband calls for majority of Taliban to be reintegrated into Afghan society

www.guardian.co.uk

Britain wants to find a way to allow the "vast majority" of Taliban fighters who are not Islamic extremists to reintegrate into Afghan society, David Miliband said today.

The foreign secretary said that "dividing the insurgency" was a key part of Britain's strategy in Afghanistan and he stressed that he did not see the conflict there as a war "without end".

Addressing the Nato parliamentary assembly in Edinburgh, Miliband said that the military surge in Afghanistan had to be matched by a "political surge" that would allow the country to become free of al-Qaida and have good rela
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
David Milliband is our Foreign secretary in the UK.For years we have been told that our presence in Afghanistan is what is preventing the UK from being attacked by islamic terrorists.
This lie has been repeated so often that the government hope no one will remember that we were attacked by what we were told were islamic extremists on July7th 2005.
So our presence in Afghanistan did not stop that-in fact the homegrown terrorists who we are told to blame actually cited the Afghan war as one of their reasons for bombing london.
So forget about that...and now learn to believe that if we reintegrate the Taliban into Afghan society,they will leave us alone-Hang on a second...we were leaving them alone on 911 too weren't we?
Now I am not sure who was really behind the 77 and 911 attacks,but I am pretty darned sure that our Government tell us 911 was planned in Afghanistan,under the Taliban who were helping Al queada.
Now they tell us if we just let those same Taliban get back on with life in Afghan society,they will drop thier Jihad against the west...
Sounds like a big steaming pile of poo to me.

Is it all all possible that the Government have realised that(A):We cannot win in Afghanistan,or
(B):That we cannot afford this war?
Sounds to me that the government lied to get us into the war,and are now trying to lie thier way out of it.

What good will come of leaving Afghanistan now?
Will the Taliban just say"Glad thats over"and kick al queda out of their country if we leave?
Personally ,I doubt it.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

The British prime minister has a difficult circle to square. It is this: if the war in Afghanistan is so essential to British domestic security, why the rush to leave? On the one hand, in his speech on Monday evening, he stressed that al-Qaeda must be defeated. "We must deny terrorists the room to operate which the Taliban regime allowed the 9/11 attackers. So that is why I say the Afghan campaign is being prosecuted not from choice, but out of necessity," he stated. On the other hand he wanted to suggest that this was not an open-ended commitment. The steady stream of coffins is having an effect. Framework for withdrawal The answer he proposed was to set a framework for British withdrawal. This will depend largely on handing over local security to Afghan forces. The handover, he suggested, should start with a conference in London in January and lead to "a process for transferring district by district to full Afghan control and if at all possible set a timetable for transferring districts starting in 2010".

news.bbc.co.uk...

There is no way in hell the insugency will be quelled by next year,IMO.So we hand back a destroyed country to a corrupt bunch of goons-What a way to honor our fallen soldiers Mr Brown.
I bet the Taliban are rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of us leaving next year...Imagine the propaganda they can create from this-"we kicked the Brits out again" they will say...

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
That is obvious, imo handing the Taliban the rule back would be a major mistake.

From America's point of view I can understand, America has already acknowledged defeat and just want's to get out of Afghanistan. The protests among US citizens now who themselves shouted war cries after 9/11 has a major role to play in it. They now just want to get the hell out, noone can blame citizens either..with inflation, rising body count, lost morale and lost interest.

From Afghanistan's point of view, their homes and families were once again bombed in "shock n' awe" and they are being left in the hands of same people who were ruling.

I am not saying withdrawing is wrong but withdrawing while including Taliban in govt. and not restoring Afghanistan properly is wrong. US has responsibility and can/should not shy away from it just because it does not serve the self interest any longer.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
I am not saying withdrawing is wrong but withdrawing while including Taliban in govt. and not restoring Afghanistan properly is wrong. US has responsibility and can/should not shy away from it just because it does not serve the self interest any longer.

It does sound like a total bail out...reintegrating the Taliban will just make them feel like they have won and can do whatever they like...all these hospitals and schools we are supposedly building will either get burned down or taken over by the taliban.
The country will be in a worse state than when we arrived there.

You watch,if we do this,we will be paying them millions in support and aid before long.The taliban will think christmas has come early...well ok maybe not christmas,but you get the idea.
A new "reintegrated"taliban infested government will make Karzai's bunch look like choir boys.

Great Idea UK Government.Again.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Here's an update to the story

Brown Vows to Finish Afghan Fight

new topics

top topics

join