It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defective HP Computers? Lawsuit Filed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Hi all,
Hoping this is the right forum to place this bit of info for those members about to or have already purchased a new Hewlit Packard Desk Top Computer. You may wish to read this FYI.
---

Lawsuit claims HP PCs suffer constant lockups

"...According to the lawsuit, HP's Pavilion Elite e9150t, e9180f, e9180t, m9600t and m9650f, when equipped with the "Truckee" motherboard from Pegatron Technology and Intel's i7 quad-core processor, crash or lock up soon after they're powered on..."

Reported by IT World Canada, Nov 16/09, please see LINK:
www.itworldcanada.com...

Decoy

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Decoy

HP computers locking up? Isn't that what they're designed for?
Just kidding.

Wish I had one. Could probably figure out the problem. I wish someone had booted Linux up and ran that and seen if it crashed or not. If it crashes in Windows and Linux, it's probably hardware defect like overheating or faulty add on device.

If it only crashes in Windows, probably a bad hardware driver like a video driver or chipset driver. Something that HP might need to issue an update for.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was a bad driver mixed with some the crap OEM software that HP installs before they ship the machine either.

Could be a virus or root kit too?. These people may have installed so many anti-malware programs trying to stop it from crashing that they just made it worse by causing conflicts and installing more malware cause so many disguise themselves as anti-malware apps now.

Never heard of the mobo before though. i7 is fairly new. Not really, but a small chance any new mobos that use it could still be complete crap. Wonder if anyone else knows anything about this particular mobo.

EDIT:
Lol, after reading the user posted comments on HP's site about these HP comps, it seems some people say it's a timing problem with the mobo, a bios problem, the video card is bad (regardless of if they have the NV or ATI card it. I found posters with both) a bad video driver which is also probably not it since using a completely diff vid card would most likely fix that, in theory, since it'd have to be a whole diff driver. And who knows what else.

So, it most likely is just a defective mobo and therefore defective by design like the suit says. All the other problems would just be symptoms from when you plug normally good hardware into a defective mobo.

The only other problem that would probably cause all that, is an under rated power supply which they have in my opinion. All those computers should probably be running about another 100 watts in the PSU at least. Around 550 instead of the 460. Especially the ones with real GPUs, but I go a little crazy with PSUs though. Some did say replacing their power supply unit stopped the freezes though.

When the comp isn't getting enough power it can make it seem like every other piece of hardware in a 30 foot radius is going bad, but it's actually the PSU.

Both would explain all their symptoms including their USB problems they mentioned. Can't tell which one though from here. Alright, I'm out.

[edit on 17-11-2009 by tinfoilman]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
If the lawsuit is won the lawyers will get tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars for their "fees" and you will get a $50 OFF voucher to buy another crappy HP computer. Its a Win Win situation isn't it?

Why even bother...

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Dunno a lot about the mobo and if it's used in other non-oem systems. But if class action is approved and it go's to Court (which I doubt as HP may rather settle OoC), depending on the number of PCs sold, it might be very costly should HP lose the case.

Decoy

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Lol, You know I always figured that HP would go out of business because their product quality was nonexistent. Even HPs that didn't lock up on boot usually ran with substandard performance.

Why do people buy HP again?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I've had an HP for nearly six years and it's been turned on almost all that time. I've never had a problem with it, except for a sticky DVD-ROM drive, which I rarely use anyway.

I have a brand new HP p6210f that's sitting in the box behind me here that I'll set up later this week. If it's as durable and reliable as the old one I'm using to write this, I'll be very happy.

Any manufacturer can produce a few lemons. I'm not that familiar with this case.

On the whole though, I'm sold on HP computers.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
HP's QA department went pretty downhill after the merger with compaq. I've had several friends with the newer HP dvt notebooks fry their motherboards after a little over a year. Same can be said with HP's digital cameras and printers, haven't seen many last too well after a year and a half or so. It's also funny when these same friends knock on dell and yet my dell notebook has been running great the 4 years i've had it so far, same with my dell desktop and netbook, all running windows 7 like a dream
I've heard better of HP's business level products, however. Especially their servers.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Never owned an HP PC, but have used them and they were pretty reliable but were the older models.
Running 2005 DT and New LT, both DELL products. Certain DELL stamped 2003-2006 Intel Motherboards contained some sub-std capacitors. I'm about to re&re four 1000uF16v leakers.

Decoy

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tinfoilman

You might send a note to HP, tinfoilman
Seems you know stuff HP may not, or perhaps they do but want to see how far it may go before sending different new model replacements?

Decoy

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

---

I once worked for a high-end test and measurement equipment Sale/Rental company and I had seen some HP stuff such as a device the size of a large old stereo receiver but insured for 720K USD, called a Spectrum Analyzer made by HP. In fact all there test and measurement equipment was aces. Far more respected than Tektronics or any of the others of same-use equipment.

That's pretty good, six years w/out a serious problem and left on most of the time.

Decoy

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
Lol, You know I always figured that HP would go out of business because their product quality was nonexistent. Even HPs that didn't lock up on boot usually ran with substandard performance.

Why do people buy HP again?

I made that mistake 2 years ago. I'm currently looking into a Macbook Pro. The HP i'm on now (Compaq 6720s) has been nothing but trouble for me. I've gone through 4 power adapters, one battery, and thats just the hardware. The physical shell of the computer is falling apart, I have half the screen duct-taped up right now. I've never been rough with this computer, I barely even move it out of my dorm.

Other problems include no sound when it comes out of sleep mode, and not coming out of sleep mode haha. The sleep mode just refuses to start back up, and I have to take the battery out and completely restart the system. I've learned to save my data a lot because of it.

Ugh.

new topics

top topics

join