It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leonids Meteor shower set to reach peak tonight, are you hardy enough to brave the cold?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Well I just noticed this, but it may not be too late for some members to catch a good show:

Meteor shower set to reach peak

The annual Leonids meteor shower is set to reach its peak.

The tiny high-speed particles come from the tail of Comet 55 P/Tempel-Tuttle, which was last in the vicinity of the Earth in 1998.

To the eye, the meteors appear to originate from a point in the constellation Leo.

This year, astronomers predict a strong peak of activity in the shower, with the best views from Asia.

On this continent, astronomers may be able to see 200-300 meteors per hour.

If the Leonid peak lasts longer than predicted, it may be possible to see the end of it from Europe.

North American observers may be able to view the shower from the early hours of the morning until dawn on Tuesday 17 November.

Viewing conditions are expected to be good this year in North America, because the Moon will not be lighting the sky.

A second, more intense outburst of Leonids may happen about 12 hours later, during the early morning hours of 18 November in Asia.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/50c70ea0ed1f.gif[/atsimg]

It's too cloudy where I am, but to any and all who manage to see it, have a good one!

[edit on 16-11-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Every year my family gets a real show from this shower. Nice news is that the moon will not be causing any trouble for us this year.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happyfeet
Every year my family gets a real show from this shower. Nice news is that the moon will not be causing any trouble for us this year.

Oh you're lucky, I live in the UK, haven't seen the sky since 2003, it was a Monday, I seem to remember, been nothing but clouds since then!

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
It's only going to be good if you live in Asia

In North America and Europe, only 10-15 meteors /hour are being predicted, that's like 1 every 4-6 minutes. Hardly a "shower" for us.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

I'm hearty enough, and this night it will only get down to 49 degrees F, so that's nice. Strange weather by the way; cold October and warm November. However, by the time the shower is in full effect, we will be under a cloud cover and having some rain to boot. Oh, well. Maybe next year.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Been looking but it isn`t very clear.
Yesterday was much clearer but did not see anything at all.
(Too early?)
I don`t estimate we will have much luck in the uk spotting the shower either.
Fingers crossed though.

[edit on 16-11-2009 by tracey ace]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Going to be out hiking around with the thermal imager and night scope, observing wildlife all night anyway and the skies are clear so hopefully it will be a good show. I usually keep one eye on the sky hoping to see something neat. Might see Atlantis catching up to the ISS.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Sky's been pretty clear that last few nights, might be able to observe 'em tonight, though with my luck it'll rain.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

.....though with my luck it'll rain.

Maybe you'll be extra lucky RuneSpider, and get to play in the rain AND see the Leonids. Hard to tell if playing in the rain would be a good thing, as I don't know where you live.

Here's to a great raindance!

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

If it does rain tonight, I will think of you every time I fill a bucket with ice water.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The paper says the best viewing time is 4am where i am.My girlfriend wants me to call her to wake her up for it.Bless her curious,scientific heart.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Picture clear skies here in Buffalo NY. I saw about 20 from 3:20-4:20am est. My hands are freezing! Had to walk back home earlier than I would have liked. I said "Wow!" outloud after every meteor lol.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
i will check it out, thanx for the info

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred

I'm hearty enough, and this night it will only get down to 49 degrees F, so that's nice. Strange weather by the way; cold October and warm November. However, by the time the shower is in full effect, we will be under a cloud cover and having some rain to boot. Oh, well. Maybe next year.

me too! Here in Germany we are at ca.15° which is very warm for a november day.

Lets hope its stays warm till xmas.

Ill also have a look tonight if no clouds come up but its rather bleaky here atm

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I'd gladly brave the cold if the cloud cover lifted.
Oh well, they'll be back next year.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   

I set my alarm for 4:30 hoping to catch the tail end. However, it was already foggy by then and I couldn't see anything.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Love it !

Best place I've found is the rise above the 'Hole of Horcum' for sky watching ... low light pollution being up on the moors.

I've seen some spectacular skies up there.

Woody

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by tracey ace
Yesterday was much clearer but did not see anything at all.
(Too early?)

Yes. They are due to peak very soon. So you might catch some if it clears up.

Here is a snapshot I took of the Leonids Live ZHR graph just now.

[edit on 17-11-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
No luck here,i am saddened.
It rained here 3 hours ago and looks like it may again.Every now and then a star is visible but then gets covered.I will keep checking just in case.
I am sure i saw 1 or 2 last night but it was a long way up at approx 2.30 am.Short streaks but very faint.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The cold isn't the problem. It is trying to get up in the middle of the night when you have to work the next day. The universe needs to get its act together and only do things on the weekends.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join