It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear watchdog: Iran may have more secret sites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
www.timesonline.co.uk...

Iran’s concealed uranium enrichment plant near Qom could be just the first of a whole series of secret Iranian nuclear sites, United Nations inspectors warned after visiting the bunkered facility for the first time.

The warning came in the latest International Atomic Energy Agency report on Iran, which includes its first assessments of the long-concealed plant following its inspection three weeks ago.

Iran claims the Qom site was conceived as a fallback to preserve its declared civilian enrichment programme if the far larger Natanz complex was bombed by enemies such as Israel and said it was intended to be up and running by 2011.

But inspectors said that Tehran had lied about when it began construction and had failed to provide convincing evidence that it was intended solely for civilian use, part of a pattern that has raised suspicions of other unknown nuclear activities.

Tehran belatedly informed the IAEA of the existence of the plant in September, reportedly after realising that the secrecy surrounding it had been breached and that Western intelligence agencies were monitoring it.

Western diplomats and nuclear experts say the Qom site's planned capacity - 3,000 centrifuges - makes little sense as a stand-alone civilian enrichment centre since it would be too small to fuel a nuclear power station around the clock. It could, however, yield fissile material for one or two atom bombs per year.

Iran told the International Atomic Energy Agency that construction of the bunkered site began in 2007, but inspectors gathered evidence that the project had in fact begun in 2002, before pausing in 2004, then resuming in 2006.

Tehran’s serial deception surrounding the plant has fuelled new suspicions about the extent of their unknown nuclear programme, they said.

“The agency has indicated that its declaration of the new facility reduces the level of confidence in the absence of other nuclear facilities under construction and gives rise to questions about whether there were any other nuclear facilities not declared to the agency,” the report said.

Iran's failure to inform the agency of its decision to build or authorise construction of a sensitive nuclear facility as soon as the decision was made was "inconsistent" with its transparency obligations to the UN watchdog, it said.

“Moreover, Iran's delay in submitting such information to the agency does not contribute to the building of confidence.”

Iran was yet to explain the discrepancy over the site’s chronology and had failed to provide answers proving the site’s civilian use, it added.

There we have it at last, and now come on IAEA, ensure that in future that they don't have 4 weeks to move things around from site to site before you inspect the damned places.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
UN watchdog orders Iran to disclose details about nuclear facility

Report by the International Atomic Energy Agency reprimanded Tehran over secret facility near Qom

The United Nation's nuclear watchdog today ordered Iran to provide more details about its secret nuclear facility hidden in a mountain near the holy city of Qom.

The watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency, in a report published today, reprimanded Tehran for failing to notify it of its plans for the construction of the new facility, a breach of its international treaty obligations. The agency said preparations were being made by Iran for the site to start up in 2011.

It said that the episode raised doubts about Iran's denials that other such secret facilities exist. "Iran's declaration of the new facility reduces the level of confidence in the absence of other nuclear facilities under construction and gives rise to questions about whether there were other nuclear facilities in Iran which had not been declared to the agency," the IAEA said.

The IAEA decision to seek further clarification about Qom's Fordow facility will increase the already strained relationship between Iran and the US, backed by Britain, France and Germany, and further complicates faltering peace talks.

It appears to be at odds with a statement last week by the agency's director, Mohamed ElBaradei, in an interview with the New York Times, in which he played down the significance of the previously undisclosed site, saying it was "nothing to worry about".

The US, backed by Britain, France and Germany, claims Tehran is intent on securing a nuclear weapons capability. Iran, which insists its nuclear programme is only for the generation of electricity, has so far not formally responded to a compromise offered by President Barack Obama aimed at ending the standoff.

Israel has threatened military strikes against Iran's nuclear facilities to prevent it from acquiring a nuclear weapons capability.

It was concern about just such an attack that prompted Iran to build the facility inside the mountain, according to a letter from Iran to the IAEA on 28 October. "As a result of the augmentation of the threats of military attacks against Iran, the Islamic Republic of Iran decided to establish contingency centres for various organisations and activities," the report says.

Revelation of the site came in September in the week of the UN general assembly, attended by Obama, the Iranian leader Mahmoud Amadinejad, Gordon Brown and other leaders. On the Monday, Iran disclosed to the UN that it was building the new facility but the US, Britain, France and Germany said Tehran had only done this to pre-empt planned disclosure by Washington at the assembly.

Following the revelation, IAEA inspectors visited the site late last month but today's report made it clear that failed to quell all suspicions.

Add to this the questions over the suspected warhead facilities as well.

[edit on 16-11-2009 by john124]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
What are the chances that the Israelis strike the Iranians before the year ends???

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminatislave

I have a feeling this is all political points scoring on all sides with no one actually doing anything.. just keep the population of the world on the edge of their seats awaiting a war that will never happen..

This screams another distraction to me...

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I've found the IAEA report according to Wired News: www.armscontrolwonk.com...

Section E appears interesting:

E. Possible Military Dimensions
31. As detailed in the Director General’s previous reports to the Board (most recently in GOV/2009/55, para. 18), there remain a number of outstanding issues which give rise to concerns, and which need to be clarified to exclude the existence of possible military dimensions to Iran’s nuclear programme. As indicated in those reports, for the Agency to be able to address these concerns and make progress in its efforts to provide assurance about the absence of undeclared nuclear material and activities in Iran, it is essential that Iran, inter alia, implement the Additional Protocol and provide the information and access necessary to: resolve questions related to the alleged studies; clarify the circumstances of the acquisition of the uranium metal document; clarify procurement and R&D activities of military related institutes and companies that could be nuclear related; and clarify the production of nuclear related equipment and components by companies belonging to defence industries.
32. The Agency is still awaiting a reply from Iran to its request to meet relevant Iranian authorities in connection with these issues.10 The Agency is also still awaiting Iran’s response to the Agency’s repeated requests for access to persons, information and locations identified in the alleged studies documents in order to verify Iran’s assertion that these documents are false and fabricated. Further analysis of the information available to the Agency underscores the importance of Iran engaging with the Agency in a substantive and comprehensive manner, and providing the requested access, so that the remaining outstanding issues may be resolved. In this context, it would be helpful if Member States which have provided documentation to the Agency would agree to share more of that documentation with Iran, as appropriate.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

Wouldnt surprise me if there was a whole complex, but then again, nothing really surprises me in this day, and dark age.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
A disturbing development:

UN nuclear chief in secret talks with Iran over deal to end sanctions

United Nations and Iranian officials have been secretly negotiating a deal to persuade world powers to lift sanctions and allow Tehran to retain the bulk of its nuclear programme in return for co-operation with UN inspectors.

According to a draft document seen by The Times, the 13-point agreement was drawn up in September by Mohamed ElBaradei, the directorgeneral of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), in an effort to break the stalemate over Iran’s nuclear programme before he stands down at the end of this month.

The IAEA denied the existence of the document, which was leaked to The Times by one of the parties alarmed at the contents. Its disclosure was made as the agency warned that Iran could be hiding multiple secret nuclear sites.

Despite the assessment, diplomats believed that Mr ElBaradei was hoping to agree the outline of a deal with Tehran that he could present to the US, Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany as a solution to the impasse.

It was thought that Mr ElBaradei was anxious to secure his legacy after infighting over his perceived weakness in dealing with Iran.

The plan would require the UN Security Council to revoke the three existing sanctions and five resolutions ordering Iran to halt its uranium enrichment — an unthinkable development at a time when the West is focused on how to impose more, not fewer, sanctions on Iran.

Russia and China, who have commercial ties with Iran and have been pressing for a compromise, may see merit in the plan, however.

Lifting current sanctions gives this crippled regime a lifeline to survive. Currently they are surviving on selling discounted oil at 50% discounts to Turkey, Venezuela etc, so this plan is obviously stupid as it would increase their capacity to make money and so take longer to collapse due to the massive internal revolt against the Islamic republic. Arguably this stupid plan could make civil war more likely, as it prolongs their length in power.

This idea by Baredei is just another desperate attempt which lets the regime buy more time, whilst the deluded baredei peace prize winner keeps hoping for the best while that never happens.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrath5639
reply to post by john124

Wouldnt surprise me if there was a whole complex, but then again, nothing really surprises me in this day, and dark age.

It doesn't surprise me either, I would be more surprised if there weren't other complexes.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by john124

Originally posted by Wrath5639
reply to post by john124

It doesn't surprise me either, I would be more surprised if there weren't other complexes.

I'm not surprised, but I do feel they have known about all these things all along, and it is just coming out in drips to feed the MSM machine.. economic breakdown, swine flu, Iran in a constant 360 degree cycle..

Right now I feel at a loss as to what to make of it all, what is really the truth or what is actually going on..

top topics

join