It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY eyes $1B tax slap on health

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

NY eyes $1B tax slap on health

www.nypost.com

It's enough to make you sick.

While the nation debates health-care reform, state Democrats are secretly considering $1 billion in new taxes on medical services, The Post has learned.

Although the taxes would be imposed on health-care providers, they'd be passed along to insurers or local governments. And it's ultimately taxpayers who'd be sucker-punched.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
This is nothing more than a money grab placed on the back of the national health care bill and added to an already imposed $8 billion in new taxes and fees approved earlier.

More prof this supposed health care package will only benefit insurance companies and state governments who regulate them.

Pretty soon even middle class families will have to rely on state aid for even the simplest medical visits, Check-ups and vaccines ETC.

If your woundering just how much money were talking about try this on for size.

For GHI's policyholders, premiums surged 30 percent. That means the monthly cost for an individual shot up to $2,277 for HMO coverage, a $526 increase compared with a year ago. The price tag now comes to a staggering $27,324 a year.

www.nypost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-11-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

And that is how the tax payer in the nation that doesn't make 300 thousand dollars a year will be taxed after the health care bill.

The states are left to come out with the rest of the money to pay for the health care bill in the individual states, so while the Federal government will not be "taxing" the regular joes, the states "will be taxing" the regular joes and the health care insurers.

And people still doesn't get it, mandatory insurance with mandatory taxes all in one bill.

And still no regulations for the private insurance companies, that can come out with all kind of devices to gouge the consumer at will.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Congress did say those who couldn't obtain through their employer or on their own would be eligible for subsidies...

Still I don't see how that fixes our national health care crises... All it does is line the pockets of big business without addressing why medical costs continue to spiral ever upwards...

You do know this will also effect job growth as well... Back when I ran my own company... Insurance was a huge part of my labor costs... So much so I had to keep my employee base small enough to be cost effective... I see a lot more jobs going to temps and contractors... people you don't need to insure as a small business owner

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Wow! Thanks. You just gave me a great idea. If this Healthcare reform passes I am going to start a temp staffing firm.

It appears that this entire healthcare reform plan is nothing but a way to raise taxes without calling them taxes.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce

Wow! Thanks. You just gave me a great idea. If this Healthcare reform passes I am going to start a temp staffing firm.

It appears that this entire healthcare reform plan is nothing but a way to raise taxes without calling them taxes.

I don't honestly know much about that business... but... I used to have pay $20 an hour for labor... the staffing company (Labor Express) kept $12 as their fee... It would have to be set up so everyone you have is an independent contractor otherwise you'd be on the hook for workmans comp... yet another tax imposed on small business owners and sure to go up as this plan unfolds... there's not a lot of new construction going on right now and the few contractors left in the biz are using day labor more than staffing firms

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

You do know this will also effect job growth as well... Back when I ran my own company... Insurance was a huge part of my labor costs... So much so I had to keep my employee base small enough to be cost effective... I see a lot more jobs going to temps and contractors... people you don't need to insure as a small business owner

You don't have to provide health insurance to employees do you? I don't know, just asking.

If you don't, then I can see a lot of employers going towards NOT providing insurance for their employees. Then those employees would then opt for the government insurance. It won't take long before we're in a single insurer (the government) situation. That is what I'm most concerned about.

[edit on 16/11/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
What?
New York is raising taxes?

Shocking !

I'd never have believed it.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

here in New Mexico I am required to have both Workman's and regular health insurance for any ""full time employee"" in the construction trades... See rules here it got so complicated there at the end my partner and I had to hire a full time safety officer just to keep up with the changing laws and rules...not knowing a rule was changed can set you up for a major law suit or having the enforcement jack-booted thugs just shut you down...

PS: you might not want to read that link... It gives me a headache whenever I do...

PSS: Workman's Comp is a form of Government insurance where employer and employee both pay into a fund... but is not considered to be a regular form of medical insurance

[edit on 16-11-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
New York a union corrupt state. That taxes every way it can.

People might make more in NY but the standard of living is probably lower than middle class in southern states because so much of the money those in NY pay has to go to taxes and fees.

Gas is 20% more, property tax is 30-200% more, pay tolls for highways and bridges.

cost of doing repairs from plumbers or electricians is a good 20% more.

These are just some of the added costs of living in NY, truly one of the most corrupt states in the union.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

Yes you may be right, but right now with all the unemployment extension in most states in the nation, many are running deficits in the billions, the southern states are the hardest hit because poverty levels.

Still when the health care bill comes individual states have to come out with the rest of the money to support the insurance for those that can not afford it, right now more than those that can, due to raising unemployment, more welfare money for those in need, and the ones to pay into are those that still are lucky enough to hold a job.

What a mess, but hey this is going to be the legacy of the Democratic run government, like the last Republican government gave us two trillion wars.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I still see it as unsupportable.... if we say a U-3 of 10% reflects about one quarter of the US able bodied population out of work then the remaining 2/3rds will have to pick up the tab. remember we're still on the crux of the baby boomers hitting retirement age taking more of that taxable income with them... very very soon the few with jobs will find these hidden taxes burning up maybe 50% 60% of take home???

Sure this is just New York for now... but all states are finding themselves in the same boat... how long before we all feel the effects???

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
If this crap healthcare reform passes, Obama will be a lame duck in 2010 and he might as well pack his bags after that. I for one won't be going out to vote for any of these democrat snakes in the grass.

But on topic, NY and NJ are probably the most expensive states to live in. New York is already ridiculously expensive, I feel sorry for those folk up there who have had their finances butchered by those crooks in Albany

new topics

top topics

join