It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain Cuts Down Forests to Keep ‘Green’ Power Stations Burning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Forget the carbon trading schemes that have robbed UK ratepayers, enriched traders and done nothing to lower CO2 emissions.

How about cutting down tropical forests, baking the trees, then shipping them across the ocean to fuel England's "green" power plants?

This makes sense in the the UK because the "scientific consensus" says it does.

Britain is set to plunder the lungs of the world to feed its growing hunger for wood to burn in power stations.

A series of biomass-fired plants are being built in the UK that will trigger a 150 per cent surge in timber imports from 20 million tonnes today to 50 million tonnes by 2015, according to the Forestry Commission.

British power plants are already shipping wood from Canada, Brazil, Scandinavia and South Korea.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

These are the same people who say carbon allowances and credit trading are the answer to AGW and that draconian remedies must begin today or all hope is lost.

And of course, our Energy Secretary Chu says we should be emulating the EU in our energy policies and pricing.

Deny ignorance.

jw

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
If we planted one tree for every human on Earth, all of CO2 release per year would be absorbed by those trees.

If TPTB cut down all the forests on purpose, what happens?

They are fracking devious are they not?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
"The idea of Wilderness needs no defence. It only needs defenders. Remaining silent about the destruction of Nature is an endorsement of that destruction." - Edward Abbey

At some point we must draw a line across the ground of our home & our being, drive a spear into the land, & say to the bulldozers, earthmovers, government & corporations, "thus far & no farther." — Edward Abbey

[edit on 15-11-2009 by mr-lizard]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Now the PTB's true motivations are starting to show. Same as people have been saying for quite some time: "How do we capitalize on the "Global Warming" fears?"

Even "Greenpeace" has shown their true colors, by opposing forest preservation and reforestation because it would deprive them of their share of the cash generated by carbon allowance trading:

"Forests Could Undermine Carbon Market:" Greenpeace .

When will the people wake up to the hypocrisy behind this?

Deny ignorance.

jw

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I thought something similar when I saw a large forest get cut down across the street. I read in the paper that a green building was going up. It was made from recycled materials. They leveled a whole forest and then put up a very large concrete building. Then they had an article in the paper touting how it was green because it was a green building (using their terms for what designates a green building). In reality what happened was a large forest was cut down, to be replaced by a dull drab looking but very large concrete building. I don't really see that much green in the process except what may be lining someone's pockets. I think that's what it all comes down to.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I'll be good. I Will not go off on another rant.

I'll be good. I Will not go off on another rant.

Ok, count to ten, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.

Now breathe out...

Aw heck! it's not working, so here goes....

Good G@d , is everyone in England off their rockers or what?

First, cap & trade to drive up prices for the little guy while doing nothing to reduce carbon emissions.

Then, they're serously thinking of wasting money storing CO2 underground. Under occupied cities nonetheless, risking massive asphixiation if leaks occur. Or even burying it at sea;

Burying our carbon dioxide at sea

Now they're seriously talking about major deforistation all in order to solve a problem that is just plain BOGUS!!!

It seems these wacko's who claim to want to save the environment are doing everything in their power to bring about the Global Cataclysm they claim they are trying to avert.

I know this is all just about fleecing us of our money, but how can people seriously be falling for this insanity?

AAAAARRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!

Ok I feel much better now...

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

If that didn't piss you off, then look at what the UK version of our EPA says:

A recent report from the Environment Agency stated that shipping timber from overseas could halve the potential carbon dioxide savings from biomass power.

Natural fuel

1% The amount of UK energy consumption from biomass

744 sq miles The size of forest needed for UK wood-fuelled power station growth in next three years

50% The rise in carbon discharges caused by long-distance transport and burning of wood over burning coal

30 years The time new trees need to absorb the equivalent amount of carbon released by cutting down and burning wood for fuel

Sources: Times Database; Massachusetts Environmental Energy Alliance; Biofuelwatch.co.uk

www.timesonline.co.uk...

GreenPeace must be thrilled.

jw

new topics

top topics

join