It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

pacman: world's all time greatest pugilist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
news.ph.msn.com...

Pacquiao makes history by thrashing Cotto
Manny is a national hero and the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world

Manny Pacquiao has made history as the first fighter to win seven world titles in as many weight classes with a stunning 12th round technical knockout of Miguel Cotto in Las Xegas.

Pacquiao looked unstoppable in his third consecutive fight. He ran his opponent ragged and knocked Cotto down twice in the early rounds on Saturday (US time). He the deliver the final blow in the 12th round to claim Cotto's World Boxing Organization welterweight title
7 titles in 7 different weight divisions? some he defended a couple times...that's phenomenal; unheard of. He is the greatest boxer ever.

he got them the hard way. he fought all the reigning champions in their weight divisions for them, going up the weight classes. he didn't just beat one person for them all.

even if mayweather junior beats him in a fight now, it won't take away from pacman's colossal achievement.

mayweather jr, doesn't even want to touch him. offering up lame excuses like division of the prize money. his father even besmirched pacman's reputation by alleging that he's been doping.

pacman is the bigger star than mayweather now. pacman is the biggest star of boxing ever. mayweather jr should consider himself lucky to split the purse 50/50.

is he afraid he'll no longer be undefeated if he fights the pacman?:shk:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b4685227a636.jpg[/atsimg]
[edit on 15-11-2009 by reject]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Manny is a beast he fights like a rabbid tiger he's strong and fast and throws punches from every angle. Mayweather thinks in dollar signs and he knows how lucrative a fight witrh pacman will be theres no doubt in my mind that the fight will happen. I can't wait to see this fight floyd wont be able to hang on the ropes and philly shell his way to a decision with pac will actually get to see mayweather stay in the pocket and fight.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomInChains
I can't wait to see this fight floyd wont be able to hang on the ropes and philly shell his way to a decision with pac will actually get to see mayweather stay in the pocket and fight.

Yes, the modern day rope-a-dope.
Mayweather's a master of it. Pacquiao will not let it happen. I really want to see the best Mayweather possible, I know Manny will be at his best.

If I'm Pacquiao and I win, I quit for good with my hundred(s) million and my head still intact knowing I was the best ever. There's really nobody else left other than Sugar Shane Mosley, and I think if Mayweather wants Pacquiao, he's gonna have to go through Mosley first.

Peace

[edit on 18-11-2009 by Dr Love]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

mayweather jr, doesn't even want to touch him. offering up lame excuses like division of the prize money. his father even besmirched pacman's reputation by alleging that he's been doping.

He never alleged that he was doping, he was just asking that Pac takes olympic style drug tests, shouldn't really be an issue if you are clean.
But greatest of all time????I do not think so
Jack Dempsey
Rocky Marciano
Joe louis
Julio Cesar Chavez
were all better fighters than him, should it ever be found out that pac was juicing he will be looked at as another Luis Resto.

[edit on 10-3-2010 by zaiger]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger

He never alleged that he was doping, he was just asking that Pac takes olympic style drug tests, shouldn't really be an issue if you are clean.
But greatest of all time????I do not think so
Jack Dempsey
Rocky Marciano
Joe louis
Julio Cesar Chavez
were all better fighters than him, should it ever be found out that pac was juicing he will be looked at as another Luis Resto.

[edit on 10-3-2010 by zaiger]

Dempsey? might have a shout but was a comparitively small boxer and would struggle against modern era heayweights.

Marciano? fought lots to pad out his record before becoming champion - not enough championship fights to be considered. Got caught and cut quite a lot and again would struggle against modern era heavyweights.

Joe Louis has a case, but pound for pound the best of all time? Not for me.

Chavez - dodgy record, fought lots of nobody's, incredibly lucky against Meldrick Taylor when Steele (yes, him) stopped the fight with 3 seconds left and taylor not in THAT much trouble after giving Chavez a 11.5 round boxing lesson.

Ali in his prime was untouchable.

hearns, despite his glass jaw (allegedly) was a supreme fighter and went from welter right up to cruiser winning world titles - a very difficult feat to achieve.

Maybe the most under-rated fighter of all time was Hagler and a true hall of famer, he was probably responsible for destroying more fighters careers than any other champ simply because he punished with every punch. Case in point would be John "the beast" Mugabi.

Jack Johnson has to come into the frame, as does Henry Armstrong.

Sugar Ray Robinson has long been considered the best pound for pound boxer of all time - but it is a subjective view. However he is still right up there with the legends.

For me Pacman is right up there and could easily lay claim to being the best of all time - he's certainly the best pound for pound in the world today.

[edit on 31/3/2010 by budski]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Dempsey? might have a shout but was a comparitively small boxer and would struggle against modern era heayweights.

I highly doubt that, Dempsey was 6 foot one (same height as jack johnson) and would weigh in at 187-205 pounds and would fight 15 round fights (although most of his wins were by knockout in the first round). Dempsey would have no problem taking out todays fighters, Areola and kevin johnson would be no match for him. He won the title from Jess willard and jess willard won it from Jack Johnson in the 26th round of a 45 round fight. I think all the fighters of back then could work the people we have today. Dempsey like pacman liked to fight as the smaller opponent. He even built a ring with a 4 foot high roof to train himself to keep his head down. His size was his advantage.

Marciano? fought lots to pad out his record before becoming champion

Ill give you that.

Ali in his prime was untouchable.

I always get flammed for saying it but ali was the most over rated boxer in history. He would cheat with illegal punching (holding one hand beind the head hile punching with the other) and would also use smelling salts in the corner to wake him up between rounds. And lets not forget the famos phantom punch.

hearns, despite his glass jaw (allegedly) was a supreme fighter and went from welter right up to cruiser winning world titles - a very difficult feat to achieve.

Maybe the most under-rated fighter of all time was Hagler and a true hall of famer

Yeah and i have yet to see a fight better than haggler vs hearns.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

When I say modern era, I mean from Ali forwards.

I don't think Ali in his prime was any dirtier than any other fighter, certainly not as dirty as Marciano or Tyson (to name but two)
I think that the most under-rated heavyweight was probably Larry Holmes, in his prime he had probably the best jab of any of them including Louis.

As much as I loved the Hagler Hearns fight, I would say that Eubank vs Benn (1) was about the most brutal title fight I have seen, and one of the best as well.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

I love the way lewis would jab, he would turn his right hand palm outward and bring it forward a little bit while keeping his head down. So comming over it with the right was pointless as was throwing a jab to counter it. All that could be done was to time a left hook off of it but Joe's speed made that almost impossible. But he had defensive flaws that Max Schlemming demonstrated to joe on his chin.
Larry holmes i would say had the best left hand in all of boxing history.

I think that Jerry Quarry was the most underrated of all time (most people do not even know who he is). He is still the only heavy weight to knock out all 5 of his oponents in the golden gloves tournament. George foreman refused to fight the guy.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Yes, I remember Quarry and he was unfortunate to be a bleeder, maybe as bad even as Henry Cooper.

The two best punches I have seen in boxing are (perhaps) the Holmes jab, and the Hearns right cross/straight right, although the Cooper left hook was a marvel for a relatively small guy.

The one boxer who I wish had made more of his skills was John Conteh - he pretty much had it all but wasted his talent because of his penchant for drink, drugs and women.
I've met him and he's a lovely fella - hands like bloody shovels lol

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Yeah hearns had a natural tallent. When most boxers see the other guy slip they either cover up and step back or wait for the guy to come back up. With hearns it did not matter you could slip, step back or duck but he would still get you with that right.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Well, he is PRESENTLY the best professional Pugilist,THAT we know of.

Pro Boxing is not open to all who wishes to pursue that ambition.There are boxing organizations,promoters,licenses to box etc. that a person who wishes to be part of has to negotiate through.

A person who is young does not have the funds to support himself and train to be a pro boxer.Rich people invest in young boxers just like they do race horses.

The pro boxing we watch today is NOTHING like the days of old.To many weight classes.There was half the number year ago.Boxers fought more fights per year too.

There are many people worldwide beating crap out of each other to earn an income and sport.Some for politically reasons we will never know of them.

There was a man who passed away recently in L.A. there was a special obit in the paper for him.

Boxing historians,consider him the best pound for pound boxer,EVER.

I can not remember his name but he boxed in the 1930's and 1940's.

He was fighting 5-6 times a month and was mostly fighting in the next higher weight class just to fight.And kicking all comers butt too.

His pro career he boxed like 300 matches and won about 275 or more.

This was a period when they used 8 oz. gloves not 12oz. like today.

He is definitely in the top 5.

But you cannot say of ALL time.

Up until now is even in doubt.

He needs to stop running from Meriweather and get in the ring and fight him.

His rapid weight gain and increased muscle mass is also suspect.

This person also was considered very good too.

Marion Lois Jones (born October 12, 1975), also known as Marion Jones-Thompson, is a former world champion track and field athlete. She won five medals at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, Australia but has since agreed to forfeit all medals and prizes dating back to September 2000 after admitting that she took performance-enhancing drugs

He needs to be tested to see if he is clean too.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude
He needs to stop running from Meriweather and get in the ring and fight him.

Pacquiao runs from nobody. He wanted the fight.

The Mayweather camp took the fight originally knowing they were going to create all this suspicion via the media of Pacquiao. It was the ploy of a punk. These guys get tested right after fights per the rules of boxing, same thing would've happened in this case.

Peace

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
For being such a smart fighter, Pacquiao really made the stupid ass decision of getting into politics.

Now he just became a Congressman and the only people that are benefitting from this bone head move are the constituents in his Congressional District and Mayweather. People of Sarangani, honor your hero, forfeit your bragging rights and impeach your newly elected Congressman.

He can't beat Mayweather unless he remains a full time boxer.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
He can't beat Mayweather unless he remains a full time boxer.

I see it as him being even more intense with Mayweather because of it. He's always proudly carried the weight of his home country on his shoulders. Now that he's a politician, I don't see any of that changing. If anything it'll make him more focused. He'll be given ample time to concentrate on Mayweather if and when the fight gets signed.

That being said, when he beats Floyd, I believe he'll hang 'em up for good, and he should.

Peace

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

More intense?
Ample time?
His training time just got reduced because of his new Congressional duties.
Unless I missed something, I'm really surprised Freddie Roach has remained silent on Pacquiao's Congressional win.
I'd be interested to know what Roach has to say about this and how being a Congressman will affect Pac. I know he was upset that Pac partied it up singing karaoke on a few occasions.
I hope I'm wrong and I hope being a Congressman in The Philippines doesn't take much work and effort but I still think it was a bone-head move to do this while in his prime.

Geez, why not wait till after he retires?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Even after winning the election for Congress, I'm not sure he's as much a politician as he is a figurehead/national treasure. He's nothing more than a political tool I'm sure.

Peace

top topics

join