It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does Atheist Richard Dawkins sound religious? After all he agrees with most religions on Jesus?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

Hi, can't quite read your name because the avatar is a tad busy....

Thank you so much for taking the time to post!

OT

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
.......But I realise that OT has an agenda against atheists ...

pls explain "agenda against"

do you see me as your enemy? why?

OT wears his heart on his sleeve...

I am not AGAINST anyone...

You, ATS-ers, are the smartest folks in the world...I count the opportunity to debate/get to know you...as a blessing, ok, priviledge...

I am not anti-anything....I am just so fortunate to KNOW TLJC (Jesus) for 4 decades (or so) and would like you to meet him, too. Is that a bad thing?

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

try again?????

Are you just being silly?

OT

No i'm really not. You've invented a thread where yo usay that someone who agrees with the kinder teachings of Jesus must therefore be religious. If you honestly believe that then you're way off the logical path.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

try again?????

Are you just being silly?

OT

No i'm really not. You've invented a thread where yo usay that someone who agrees with the kinder teachings of Jesus must therefore be religious. If you honestly believe that then you're way off the logical path.

that was not the point...he AGREES with EVERY religion in the world...except Christianity...about the person of Christ...that was the point...

u think that odd?

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schmidt1989

A lot of people were willing to be killed for Jim Jones, too... very powerful evidence that he was a prophet?

I think not.

Schmidt1989, thank you for joining OT's thread...

But I am struggling with your point...

No one was willing to BE killed for JJ...do you have evidence for this false claim?

The followers COMMMITTED suicide bro...stupid for sure, but a choice they made.

The followers of JC, were given the opportunity to deny...and LIVE...yet they rejected that knowing that someone else would KILL them.

Big difference, that you will see one day...

btw, Happy 20th!!!

OT's not your enemy here...

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schmidt1989

A lot of people were willing to be killed for Jim Jones, too... very powerful evidence that he was a prophet?

I think not.

Schmidt1989, thank you for joining OT's thread...

But I am struggling with your point...

No one was willing to BE killed for JJ...do you have evidence for this false claim?

The followers COMMMITTED suicide bro...stupid for sure, but a choice they made.

The followers of JC, were given the opportunity to deny...and LIVE...yet they rejected that knowing that someone else would KILL them.

Big difference, that you will see one day...

btw, Happy 20th!!!

OT's not your enemy here...

Nor am I your enemy. I just don't believe in a god or an afterlife. You must remember, morals were around before Jesus. I am an atheist, but not a close-minded one. If there were indisputable evidence for the existence of a higher power, i'd be down for it. But there isn't.

On a side note, I am curious as to why you speak of yourself in the third person.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

that was not the point...he AGREES with EVERY religion in the world...except Christianity...about the person of Christ...that was the point...

u think that odd?

Wait no no just stop right there. How could Dawkins, an atheist agree with every religion? That would require him to believe in god would it not? And anyway how would it be possible to agree with every religion, they all have different beliefs.

You're going to have to properly clarrify your statements because at the moment they are nonsense. Where does Dawkins agree with religions about anything except picking out parts that are about good morality? A good idea is a good idea you don't have to be religious to follow it. I mean i don't go around murdering people but that doesn't make me a Christian because it's one of the 10 commandments.

I'm still just slightly confused as to how you are saying that Dawkins agrees with every religion except Christianity.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Dawkins doesn't agree with any religion, he doesn't single christianity out.

Don't expect to make any sense of an OT thread- he quotes dogma as the absolute truth- verse after verse after verse of complete nonsense.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by lifecitizen

I'm well aware of his threads and i don't mind dogma, mindless as it is. I'm just deeply confused as to how the OP thinks Dawkins agrees with every religion except Christianity. This is so very wrong it's really difficult to see how he has come to this conclusion.

So a better explanation with proof of such claims would be handy.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

... most atheists never shut up about God , ergo ,

deep down inside ..... they are closet believers .

.... commonsense has a way ....

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Who knows how OT reaches his conclusions, probably from watching something on YouTube.

This whole thread is just a joke, I saw someone say on page 2 that Atheisim is a faith- and I guess they seriously believe that otherwise they wouldn't have posted it-

They also berated Dawkins for saying there is no god when he actually says no such thing- he says there is almost certainly no god as there is no evidence of one and that he doesn't believe in one- which is a whole lot different than saying there is no god.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   

OldThinker, hi there, long time no talk!

EVEN today’s famous atheists Richard Dawkins recognizes, “What was interesting and remarkable about Jesus was not the obvious fact that he believed in the God of his Jewish religion, but that he rebelled against many aspects of Yahweh's vengeful nastiness. At least in the teachings that are attributed to him, he publicly advocated niceness and was one of the first to do so!”

Yes, it was remarkable indeed.

It's more remarkable that pastors of today would listen more to this vengeful god than Jesus. After all, Christianity is about Jesus.

All he did was find it odd. That is all.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by radarloveguy

... most atheists never shut up about God , ergo ,

deep down inside ..... they are closet believers .

.... commonsense has a way ....

Closet believer of which god?

If you lived in a land where people believed in a pink unicorn in the sky, would you be more vocal? Would you never shut up?

Had you lived there, some people would say that you are a closet believer in the pink unicorn in the sky.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
My skeptics, I think you are on the ropes

No "dogma" here...simple logic. slow down and listen...ok, no bible verse either...

READY?

= = = = = = = =

You sure?

= = = = = = =

OK! I find it ironic that the world's most famous athesist has the same opinion....you listening?......same opinion.....

ON THE PERSON of Jesus Christ, His Divinity (or lack there of)

as every religious leader in the world OTHER THAN Christianity.

I think it odd, that all.

OT

Heck, had to throw one in...."broad is the gate to death and MANY there in find, but NARROW is the road to life and FEW find it" hmmmm???

[edit on 17-11-2009 by OldThinker]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Star & Flag

The fact that Jesus Christ ever existed seizes to exist.

But in the matter of discussion, if he did exist, sh*t even if he didn't,
there seems to be some correlation to whatever miracles he may
have conveyed on this planet, like you described, many others have
have done the same. Just like any of us, as human beings, from what i believe, all possess the same traits that these "deity's" have implied.
So according to my beliefs, I forgot your question....

Unless "ignorance is bliss" really does manifest

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Nope i'm still not getting you, mainly because you're misrepresenting Dawkins. Whether this is intentional or you are simply blinded by faith i am not sure. Dawkins position seems pretty clear, he believes the peaceful teachings of Jesus are good, but he thinks that those thinks are generally inherent in people. This is borne out by the fact that many atheists are peaceful, decent people.

Dawkins has no problems with many of Jesus's teachings apart fromt he whole being gods son/god himself bit. As to your weird idea that he seems to single out Christianity, have you ever heard him talk about Islam? He gets really quite viscious sometimes.

Nope i'm struggling to understand here OT, i think you have once again created a thread from a perspective of imagined persecution and it is severly clouding your thought process.

[edit on 17-11-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
Nope i'm struggling to understand here OT, i think you have once again created a thread from a perspective of imagined persecution and it is severly clouding your thought process.

[edit on 17-11-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

"imagined persecution"???

Why do you resort to personal attacks? It does nothing to help your credibility or persuasiveness...

Just answer this question...

Does Mr. Dawkins believe Jesus Christ was just a GOOD man?

By his writings, I'm gonna say, you'd answer 'yes'

Here's the OFFENSIVE parts for you...

You hate the fact that all religions agree with you...or that you agree with them...and it bothers you, sorry.

And it worries you that your conclusion may be wrong...

And you appear to take out that fear in expressions of personal attacks on me.

[edit on 17-11-2009 by OldThinker]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
well,Keith Ward really writes a book that picks apart Dawkins' book The God Delusion. Ward left me feeling that there is simply too much unanswered and too many puzzles remain for someone to say "nope don't believe". his language is also that of the Oxbridge academic [like dawking] so people who take comfort in talk about quantum physics,many universes and how beings can exist beyond time/space arent really that far fetched will be engrossed

but the main thrust of the book is that of someone of equal intellectual capacity [to dawkin] picking apart [bit by bit] Richard Dawkins' book. Ward also mentions that at some point Dawkins will have to face up to God in his own way. very thought provocking.

he also does all of this with humor and a friendly style. something dawkins cant always claim.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Why do we even have the word atheist?

We don't have a specific term for people who don't believe in fairies. We don't have a specific term for people who don't believe in talking puppies. We don't have a specific term for people who don't believe that OJ did it. We don't have a specific term for people who don't believe in the death penalty.

Why have a term for someone that doesn't believe in something?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Why do we even have the word atheist?

We don't have a specific term for people who don't believe in fairies. We don't have a specific term for people who don't believe in talking puppies. We don't have a specific term for people who don't believe that OJ did it. We don't have a specific term for people who don't believe in the death penalty.

Why have a term for someone that doesn't believe in something?

Good question. Consider that we have two words for people who don't believe in any god, atheist and agnostic.

An atheist believes further that there is no god. An agnostic leaves it at unbelief, and professes no belief about the existence of some possible god.

I think the main reason why we don't bother with a word for unbelievers in fairies is that nobody evangelizes their unbelief in fairies. Ditto talking puppies, and the nature of OJ's last exchange with his ex-wife.

The death penalty is a little different use of to believe. Everybody agrees that it happens. The disagreement is about whether it's a good idea. We certainly do have words for people who "don't believe" in abortion, in the "good idea" sense of to believe.

There are evangelists for the belief that there is no god. So, we need a word for what faith they evangelize.

I was wondering this morning whether it is even possible to be an evangelical agnostic. I'm still working on that one, but I think there's a logical disconnect somewhere.

I just can't imagine any audience sitting through an impassioned recitation of There is a god! Unless there isn't!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join