It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon bars release of photos allegedly showing detainee abuse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Pentagon bars release of photos allegedly showing detainee abuse

www.cnn.com

Washington (CNN) -- The Pentagon is blocking public release of photos apparently depicting abuse of suspected terrorists and foreign troops in U.S. custody, and urging the Supreme Court to dismiss a lower court ruling ordering the photos to be publicly disclosed, according to court documents.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates notified the high court late Friday that he was issuing an order to block the release.

The photos have been at the center of a years-long lawsuit by the American Civil Liberties Union. Congress last month gave the Obama administration specific authority to prevent any
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Well that's interesting isn't it?

We can't release the photos because it will endanger troops abroad. Aren't they already endangered? Since they've been fighting two wars for over 5 years now?

Come on now, this is just the administration attempting to save face by not having another torture fiasco on their hands.

I think this is just atrocious. War or not, soldiers and their commanders should be held responsible for acting like animals.

POW's or "Enemy Combatants" are people. I think we have forgotten that.

Another day in the US Military Industrial Complex.

Thoughts?

~Keeper

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Good find.

Consider:

... The Pentagon is blocking public release of photos apparently depicting abuse of suspected terrorists and foreign troops in U.S. custody, and urging the Supreme Court to dismiss a lower court ruling ordering the photos to be publicly disclosed, according to court documents.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates notified the high court late Friday that he was issuing an order to block the release.

There is no legal provision - except a state of martial law - that empowers the Pentagon to do ANY such thing.

The Defense Secretary is "urging" the Supreme Court to render him immune from the consequences of his outright statement that HE PERSONALLY was about to BREAK THE LAW, defying the courts ruling.

Since he can plead the Supreme Court, he is hoping his mojo is greater than that of the court ruling.

Who says this is a nation of laws? Certainly, some are clearly beyond it.

Keep a list....

You'll be surprised how it fills up, and with what names .....

[edit on 15-11-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I agree my friend. I don't know how people get into office without taking a 100 page test on the constitution and the rights of the INDIVIDUAL instead of sitting an office scheming of how to remove them.

This will be a very interesting week for Obama and his administration. And I wonder how the Supreme Court will react?

Bow down to the government or uphold their LEGAL ruling.

~Keeper

top topics

join