It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Low Carbs are killing us!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Is anyone us pissed off about the low carb lies that the Food Industry Companies are shoving down our throats?!? "Go ahead and eat 2 lbs of buffalo wings cause they are low carb" they tell us. The FDA doesn't have any set rules for what foods actually qualify for a "Low Carb" label. Now they put Net Carbs on the back of the label which is another complete lie.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I don't base my diet on what 'they' say is good or bad. I just eat what I enjoy, which so happens to be a variety of most of the 'food groups'.

Though, I would agree that the low-carb fad thing is getting annoying.
I saw an amusing flash the other day. Here it is.:

www.illwillpress.com...

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
I saw an amusing flash the other day. Here it is.:

www.illwillpress.com...

That was funny parrhesia I need to pass that on to my Atkins fanatic friend. I just try to eat a good varity from the different food groups and forget about counting carbs or fat grams. Life is too short

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
hehe, glad you liked it.

The other day I also came across something just as funny.
Avril Lavigne said that her diet full of carbs caused her to write angry songs.

What ANGRY songs?
LMAO

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 02:58 AM
link   
sure guys, lets eat pounds and pounds of meat to make up for base energy food groups

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I think mainly what we need to watch out for is processed carbs such as white bread and rice, things with high fructose corn syrup and stuff like that...back in the cave man days all we ate was meat, vegetables, and fruit...which is mainly protein, fat, and fibrous carbs, not much starch in diets back then. There have been numerous scientific studies about how naturally our bodies have been designed to more efficiently use fat as an energy source and not carbs, and that fat is better than carbs...the new medical research does show that carbs are the culprit for many bad things, but probably a good balance of carbs and fat is best, and it is good to just knock out the high-GI carbs such as sugars and white starches. JMO.

But, I am very sick of ads like one of the KFC ads saying "each crispy piece of chicken has over 40g protein and less than 5g of carbs. enjoy and lose weight..." Yea right, KFC is healthy then? It doesn't talk about the huge amount of saturated fat used in the breading...I think the low carb thing is partly a marketing ploy to get people to stop worrying about fat content of foods.

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by Shoktek]

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I'm sick to death of hearing about it too.

It's like this latest bandwagon that all the sheep just HAVE to jump on (like every other fad that comes around).

They seem to forget that not all that long ago, things like pasta, bread and potatoes were our friends because they are pretty much low-fat (it all depends on what you put on top of them).

Now all of a sudden I'm supposed to believe that these same foods are the bad guys ?

Not in this lifetime. Never come between THIS woman and her pasta.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Hey guys, low carb means eating lean meats & cutting back on wheat products & loading up on good carbs like veggies & fruits.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I think it's all dietary evolution. Diets are like religions... there's no absolutely RIGHT one. They all incorporate different angles of the same thing. I take what they all say and compare. Most seem to try and cut bread either down or out. Most also seem to look at fat and calorie intake. All say that you must exercise. I like the different "fads" though this Atkins has been around for a long time before it all broke out this past year or so. I still see Pritikin at the stores though I've heard nothing about it for years. It all depends on what works for who, I guess. I like having the alternatives pointed out, but I think people will fall into the same trap with low carb as they did with low fat.... eat enough of it and it's still not gonna help you!

What gets me are the fanatics. The ones who did Atkins, it worked, so now they say it's the ONLY way. I'd like to see a Battle Royale between successful proponents of all diets. A cage match like Ultimate Fighting to see which diet truly is THE MOTHER OF ALL DIETS!! *L*

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The only reason low carb diets work is because if you follow the rules you basically are forced to eat a low calorie. That's basically it. You eat low calories and burn high calories and it works. It's the people who hear that buffalo wings are low carb so they eat 3 pounds of it in a setting and think they can go watch tv for 5 hours that gain weight and ruin the diet for others.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Carbs can be good for you!

In fact, many atheletes use hammer gel. Hammer gel is just flavored carbs Its like 25g carbs and 10g fat, in addition to other things. Many cyclists and marathon runners use this.

www.e-caps.com

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Ok first to under the low carb diet, you really have to read the Atkins book, he knows far more then any other person on this,

I've done it works..

There is a difference between eating buffalo wings and then eating wings with sauce on them.

Carbs are needed to survive but his point was that people eat WAY TOO MANY CARBS EVERYDAY .

So only protein for two weeks, a cup of salad for your carbs, if you want sauce on steak or wings, a tsp in only a loud, and then every two weeks after the start you add the carbs, you should only have 50 grams of carbs per day.

An overload of carbs will cause health problems, only high protein will cause problems.

But to get your body into shock pretty much, the keytone thing, i'll have to go back and look it up, basically your getting the water out of your body, the built up carbs will dissipate within the two weeks and then after that you start small..

Thats the whole point, you do need carbs, but I highly suggest you read the Atkins book, you can get it for 5 bucks.

People are coming out of the wood work trying to slander his idea, but they are being to extreme in what they say. Low carb is very important..
Read the book.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I have done the low carb diet for over a year and yes, it have work for me, in a way, I think that the real way to keep weight off is eating less and exercising more, and like any other diet it does not sit well with all. So just do not jump into a diet just because is latest thing in the market.

If you tried a new thing and make you feel bad, it means that is not good for you so you stop.

top topics

join