It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Principia Discordia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The Principia Discordia: Or How I found Goddess & What I Did To Her When I Found Her (4th Edition)

Wikipedia

Principia Discordia is a Discordian religious text written by Greg Hill (Malaclypse The Younger) and Kerry Thornley (Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst). It was originally published under the title "Principia Discordia or How The West Was Lost" in a limited edition of 5 copies in 1965. The name, meaning "The Principles of Strife", deviates from correct Latin which would read Principia Discordiæ. The Principia is widely regarded as one of the most important Discordian works ever written.

Further introduction or commentary by myself is not necessary (or recommended).

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Hi there,
Never heard of the Principia Discordia until a few weeks ago when I started reading the Iluuminatus Trilogy! Ive just finished it and tried getting a copy of this but it was out of stock. Have you read it personally? Would you recommend it?

It would be nice to hear peoples opinions on this thread.

Peace

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by carlitomoore
Hi there,

Hail!

Never heard of the Principia Discordia until a few weeks ago when I started reading the Iluuminatus Trilogy! Ive just finished it and tried getting a copy of this but it was out of stock. Have you read it personally? Would you recommend it?

I've read it a few times over the years and would absolutely recommend it to you. How did you like The Illuminatus! Trilogy, by the way? If you liked that you'll most probably enjoy The Principia...

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
For those that do not know, what are these sets of books, for us that you recommend?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

The book I recommended to carlitomoore above was The Principia Discordia, which can be read by clicking whichever link in my first post suits you best. But you may also want to take a look at The Illuminatus! Trilogy aswell.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

But what i meant was, whats its purpose, and what did you find interesting about it, and why would you say to others to read it.

Did it help you in some way?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Thanks. I was trying awhile back to find a high quality PDF that included all the artwork.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

Thanks for this cadbury S & F. After all these years I'm ashamed to admit I've never got round to reading it. I no longer have any excuse.

In my view 'The illuminatus Trilogy' should be required reading for everyone here! The first 200-300 pages are a real mind [snip], but it's well worth perservering with. Also it's not a book that works well with reading a few pages here and there and then not getting round to read it for a while. You need to immerse yourself in it.

Hail Eris, All Hail Discordia.

PS and my favourite line; to me the one line that crammed so much meaning into so few words and then proceeded to explode my brain is:

no spitting, the mgmt

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
But what i meant was, whats its purpose, and what did you find interesting about it, and why would you say to others to read it.

Right, sorry. Yes... I implore you to read it, andy1033, and draw from it whatever conclusions of your own that you will. If you read it, I'll then discuss it with you, though perhaps not on thread. That may muddy the understanding of anyone else who might just happen to be reading.

Did it help you in some way?

It did, sir! It did. It also made me laugh, though that could, by some, be categorised as help.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sharps
In my view 'The illuminatus Trilogy' should be required reading for everyone here! The first 200-300 pages are a real mind [snip], but it's well worth perservering with. Also it's not a book that works well with reading a few pages here and there and then not getting round to read it for a while. You need to immerse yourself in it.

You have my eternal agreement. Also the two titles by the Wilsonian half of The Illuminatus! Trilogy authorship, Prometheus Rising and Quantum Psychology, must be considered required reading, if not more so than the first former.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I read it when I was a teenager and I found it clever and entertaining. I think "clever" is the word I would use. It didn't seem to speak any great eternal truths to me...lots of punning, spiritual name-dropping and inversions, wittty little logos and snippits, old-school xerox clip-art and blocks of actual type-cast letters...
]
Kind of cool in a hippie-era 'zine sort of way, but if you are looking for enlightenment of a more serious and meaningful sort I'd recommend picking something up with a bit more gravitas and age on it...a book of Zen Koans, say, or the writings of gnostic mystics.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lord Running Clam
Kind of cool in a hippie-era 'zine sort of way, but if you are looking for enlightenment of a more serious and meaningful sort I'd recommend picking something up with a bit more gravitas and age on it...a book of Zen Koans, say, or the writings of gnostic mystics.

The Principia Discordia is full of Zen koans and Gnostic mysticism. Discordianism itself has sometimes been dubbed "Zen for round-eyes," and is a tried, tested and proven foundation stone from which the budding aspirant can then step up to intermediate or perhaps even advanced levels of Zen training.

As a Zen Buddhist of sorts myself (albeit not a very good one, as I write this with quite possibly the worst hangover I've ever had in my life), I'm speaking from personal experience. And my relentless and unsustainable guzzling ought not imply that Discordianism has negatively impacted the fruition of my enlightenment. Not at all. Rather, it's lead me to the tools to finally do something about it.

Shouldn't try running before you can walk, what?

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
i have begun reading this, i'm impressed and very entertained!
will be back for discussion when i'm done!
thank you so much for posting this!

*added* and actually, i wouldn't have stumbled on this thread if you hadn't left me a comment. thank you.

[edit on 12/24/2009 by double_frick]

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
cadbury, i have to admit, i did not finish reading it. though i do intend to! i just haven't yet, its VERY interesting stuff. its easy to see how some would pass it off as nonsense but i see a lot of great truths being expressed, so far!

what are your thoughts?
where are the people who wrote it?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by double_frick
what are your thoughts?

Strange and numerous!

where are the people who wrote it?

Dead! Here's a little information on the pair:

The three-named Thornley had had himself quite the interesting life, as perhaps some may be aware. He was at one time good friends with Lee Harvey Oswald, actually writing a book about the man a whole year before he allegedly committed his now famous action. It may also be of interest to know, that the first edition of The Principia was apparently printed on Jim Garrison's Xerox contraption!

Well, then!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Hey cadbury...I have not read the book...I will tonight.

Reading the authors names gave me the heebeejeebees!

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Cadbury! I was thinking about the Illuminatus! the other day for some reason and remembered I had commented on it on a thread.... then I realised that I never replied! How rude! I have just read through your thread and it made me chuckle once again, I still havn't read Principia yet but I am definately going to. I have about a 1000 ebooks to read and never get round to them.

Hail Eris, all Hail Discordia!

Take care my friend!

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I've read it, and I don't believe a word of it...Well...except for that part on not trusting anything you read, that part seemed to ring true.

EDIT

Also, what's with all the pineal(and/or)fluoride talk in the forums? Now the "Principia Discordia" is popping up, what's next the Goddess herself? Something fishy is going on, I swear...

edit on 9/22/2010 by adigregorio because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

.. thanks for the Thread .. I will be looking over it .. and God Bless You and Yours .. it is nice to see you on ATS ... and again .. Thanks for the thread...

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I read the Principia years ago and loved it! I even went through a period where a few friends and I had an entire secret dialogue and tons of inside jokes based upon it.

To me it's kind of like "What if the Monty Python guys started a church."

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join