It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Treasure in the Ozarks Yocum Silver Dollars?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Let me start off with a little of my personal knowledge..

Mods move this to the proper forum, if this is not the right one..started to put it in ancient civil...but I think this is more proper.....dunno...

YOCUM SILVER DOLLARS
www.garycoderproperties.com...

The claims of the mine, and many other theories, are not my concern, I am looking at this like a treasure hunt, I am following the idea that, not where the silver they had, came from, whether through, mining or trade.

But where the part they had came to rest, the minted, or bulk part.

There was a shortage of silver in the nation around the early 1800's...the gov't evan limited coinage/production..

One of the many rumoured theories to this is, that the Osage & or Delaware Indians, took control of a Spanish convoy going up the White River, and attained many thousands of pounds of silver. Which later became the Yucoms through trust & trade.

The other is that they had a mine that is now lost, but many claim to have found the mine.

It is known that they had a silver mine,
www.argenweb.net...
but as to the actual knowledge of it being productive, is another story!

Little more info.....here....
thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org...

I have been interested in this subject for 15-20 years now and have my own thoughts, maps, and theories.

I have met much of the family, and some school friends, "If they have a big stash of silver, they are keeping it hid, because they were known throughout 1870-early 1900's as being extremely poor, most of the childeren, had no shoes"

The story takes many paths, including the one I tend to follow...
Although not the most popular..My theory is that they had, some silver...
Most likely Mexican silver IMHO
And they made an alloy out of that silver, "although many claim that their coinage was more pure" than the U S coinage.
Using lead, and Mexican silver dollars, melting them and using a specific ratio to stretch their dollars..lead is shiny and resembles silver when polished and/or mixed with silver.

That theory, imho gives the source for the origins of the silver, and would also follow the reason for the denial/secracy of the coins after the gov't got involved!

Any ways.... I have much more info. on this subject and just wanted to see if there was anyone else that had heard of this or had any new info.

So basically I just want to know if this is of interest to others!

[edit on 15-11-2009 by Doc Holiday]

[edit on 15-11-2009 by Doc Holiday]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I have always been fascinated with "Treasure" stories and this one is one I have never heard of..

So to answer your question, yes I am interested..

I would love to read more on your theories and thoughts about the subject.

Semper

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The location I believe this took place is where the James River met the White River prior to the dam and the lake of course.
Right where the Marmaros name is located, "which the old town is now under the lake"

maps.google.com...,-93.454514&spn=0.186176,0.307274&z=12

It is said that the brothers lived on apposing banks, on top of the bluffs there. And could talk/communicate, across the distance

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Hey, this is very interesting information to me personally as I have grown up fishing and floating the upper white river.
I've also heard rumors of silver in the area, but never anything definative.

Where does the James River meet the White River? I'm gathering it is in Missouri somewhere.

Ummm... I've also heard rumors that after the natives were thrown off of the land here and relocated in Oklahoma that they had a treaty that allowed them to come back into the area once a year for a little while and that upon their return they were bringing back vast amounts of silver that they picked up somewhere along the *Kings* River.

I've been interested in that one for quite some time as well, but never really got too involved with it.

If you have any specifics I would love to hear them as I actually spend a fair amount of time out and about on both of these rivers.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Just tried to use the google link I posted above, I messed it up,
Jay put Marmaros in the search on GM and that's where the two meet.

I myself float the Jame river down to white river no less the 10 times a year.

Now knowing your a local, Breadtray Mountain, is the next local that this stash was supposedly moved to.

You been there or know of it

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

So it's up there on Table Rock?

You know, that's the problem with anything like a silvermine or whatnot being located along the White River. The Federal Government all but owns the entire upper half of the river.

Nah, I've never heard of the Mountain you speak of. I do most of my stomping around South of the Missouri/Arkansas border. But this isn't a long drive for me. I used to spend a lot of time on Table Rock as a youth.

I grew up in Berryville.

Anyhow, have you heard any of the rumors that I mentioned earlier about the Silver being found on the Kings somewhere?

[edit on 15-11-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Star and a flag, Doc, because I love treasure stories! Had a girlfriend in Alberta whose father used to head out to the weekends to hunt for the Lost Lemon Mine. Never came back with ore...but always had fish. Never did figure out how that worked...

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Very interesting, I never heard of that story. I've always been interested in Treasure stories also.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The kings is new to me.
But I will be looking into it, I hope its floatable...I have been trying to find a new place to float, the James is stinky/dirty.

The mountain I speak of, is 20 miles south of state line below Branson west/Blue Eye....Thats as close as I will tell for now. It can be seen from MO. but its a long ways away.

I never had any problems with the feds or any water patrol either.
They have given me tips on diving locations "although diving is not needed for this search"

I have been to the old town, Mararso, "under water" and seen the old banks safe, and a few of the old stone/brick buildings.

That as I have been told held a large # of these Yucum dollars...

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
You know, for some reason I had never put this together with the Silver Dollar City theme park.
I have been there more times than I can count and it always seemed to be an odd theme for a theme park.

Now I know. I really appreciate this info, Doc.
Gives me something to look into.

But, back to what I was saying about the Kings River - in geographical proximity, the tailwaters of the Kings and the James aren't too far apart. Or maybe there is more than one source. Something to consider.

Where is this mountain you speak of anyhow?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Yeah I hate that place....Steel your Dollar City!!!!

The old church there....is the old Mararso town church....
Hauled up there by a mule team. They claim it is not the same church, but my grandmothers old pics say that it is, as do many of the old locals.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Ah, the Kings is a fantastic river to float.
Deep and blue in many places. Wonderful scenery to boot.
That is if you aren't floating the tailwaters. Move up river some and it is a wonderful river to float. And fish.

The fishing is really good down near the 86 bridge, but the water is a little murky there as it is getting close to tablerock at that point.

20 Miles south from the Blue Eye area, you say?
Well heck, those are my stomping grounds. I'd almost bet it has another name and that I have been there.

I may be able to be of use to you, if you are interested.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
It is like most mnts except that it is long and looks almost like two peaks with a solid in between them making it one peak and resembling a bread tray. I have been there 5-6 times and it has a firetower or a big ladder accessable construction on one end, the easterly end.

I have heard it called only as bread tray, by the locals, that is how I came up with the name, when I started looking into it I called it a pain in my ^$$
Do to its steep sides and almost in accessable top, it has a shelf that goes around it, that is about 2/3 rds the way up.

Its as hard to get to as going into himded in hollow, if your familiar with it...

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

It is weird how people name mountains. If it is the same mountain I am thinking of, I have always called it "cookie monster" mountain. Since I was a kid.
If it is the same mountain, you will know why I called it that.

And yeah, I've been to hemmed in several times. My avatar pic was taken very near there.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Because of its flat top and resemlance to a trash can"from a distance", just waiting for him to bust out, muwhahh "Cooky Monster" if not I'm lost.

If I had to guess your avatar came from a place not to far from hwy 7 between hemded in an the Ole Dogpatch, or could be from around Mt Judea.....the placce I found some gliphs. Up around Sam's throan...

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Nah, the Avatar Pic was taken about 1 mile SW of Hemmed in on the Goat's Trail.
Big Bluff.
Whatever you want to call it.

You know, I still have never gone to Sam's Throne. I've been meaning to for years, but I just fell in love with the Ponca area and do a LOT of my hiking there.

Okay, if we are speaking of the same mountain, and admittedly we may not be, I have a buddy that lives at the base of that mountain. No joke. Pretty odd coincidence that you would bring this up.

Anyhow, you can access it somewhat easily (although it is pretty danged steep and goes up quite a ways) from the North Side of the mountain.

If it is the same mountain, you will be coming off of the highway there.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Sounds very similar...
You got a metal detector?

The place I'm going has 10-20 acres "on top" not counting the shelf and the sides, not to mention all the info. I have just gives me this as a landmark, with no details....its a lot of ground to cover...

If you really are interested and that really is your buds house and it is the same place OMG.....I been sneakin in there, yes from the north.

I have dreams of getting a "hit" on the detector and finding a coin, or Jesse James old stash/revolver, anyways the last info. I got has me going toward that place/landmark, due to it being the last place the Yocums holed up before, returning home, and claiming "what silver?" to our gov't!
If its true U2U me or I'll ...send one to you

Its worth lookin into?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

You should have a U2U in your box now.
Umm. Well, just check the U2U.

Speaking of Jesse James, I can guarantee that much of the story.
If you go to Saunder's Museum in Berryville, Arkansas you can learn much of his exploits in the area. They've got some of his pistols there as well.

[edit on 15-11-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
And in regards to the Yokum (sp?) family, they are still around in the Shell Knob area.
Bunch of mean SOBs from what I hear.
My father has told me a story of when he was younger how they would have the Yoakhum sister (1 girl, 10 boys) lay out in the road as if she were injured and when someone would stop to help her, the boys would jump out of the bushes so they could all beat the hell out of them.

Also that one of the boys of the family used to plow the garden area by pulling the harness himself.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Hey Doc,

You said that the Yokums holed up in order to hide from the Gov. Do you have any idea how long they holed up? Years?

Do you expect to find a homestead if and when you find this place?

Myself I am still interested in the parts about how you think they got ahold of the silver in the first place. You mentioned Mexican Silver. Are there any stories of a convoy losing track of their silver nearby?

Very interesting indeed.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join