It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

obama refuses to salute the flag...AGAIN!!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by LibertygalAllow me to enlighten you, there are Federal laws about the flag.
www.ushistory.org...

§4. Pledge of allegiance to the flag; manner of delivery
The Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag: "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.", should be rendered by standing at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. When not in uniform men should remove any non-religious headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and render the military salute. [See Congressional Notes re use of "under God."]

There is more to it than just some silly custom.

(Emphasis mine)

All you have proven here is that Congress has declared in public code what the tradition and custom is. In all legal situations, the legal word should is not a mandate, but a description of propriety. Should and May are loophole words, meaning you don't have to do the act being described. If this was a legal requirement, the word would be MUST.

[edit on 11-17-2009 by rogerstigers]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by BATZNRAZ0RBLADEZ

i read your post but all i heard was YEEEEEEEEEE-HAWWWWWW

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

The point being, it is not just some silly custom.

The President and Commander in Chief SHOULD (emphasis mine) be the one to uphold the honor of the flag above all others. Of course there are not penalties for it not pledging the flag other than disprespect in the eyes of the nation you represent and others observing that nation and president from abroad. That point is moot, however, as there are links posted showing the original photo was mirepresenting Obama.

The point of my reply was to show that *most* people in this country hold the proper addressing of the flag in high priority. It is not just "some piece of textile", else there would not be laws about how it is to be flown and properly cared for.

For *most* people in this country, for the sitting president to show disrespect for the flag would indeed be a huge issue to them.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

I understand. Sorry if I came across wrong. You are correct, of course, in that the customs are clearly spelled out and some things are definately expected of a commander in chief. *shrug*

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
In the United States, it is now "legal" for veterans "out of uniform" to salute the flag. Civilians should continue to hold the right hand over the heart.
However, if you are holding a flag (always in the right hand), that in itself is considered a "salute" and no hand-action is required.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
As much as I dislike him, I'm pretty sure saluting is for member of the armed forces only. I think it might have been considered even more offensive had he saluted.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by praxis
I hope someone can identify and authenticate the pic. I can't imagine why *anyone* in the military would support a politician that refused to pledge allegiance to the flag. This sets off more red flags than I can count.

Pledging allegiance is the antithesis of a government for the people. I can see now why you have so many red flags.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Have you ever considered Obama may not be saluting because he believes its not the same america? Maybe he was told things when he became president that made him believe that america is no more thats its the corporations that are running america not the people. Hence his quote "another nail in the coffin for democracy". So maybe he is telling the people that by not saluting he is actually saying this isnt america no more and I am just a puppet.

just a thought....

[edit on 8-2-2010 by loner007]

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I find it amusing that people have a problem with others not saluting the US flag at the same time being seemingly oblivious that theyre nearly all made in communist China.

Teaching children that we supposedly have a government of, by and for the people becomes nullified when they are shown to salute and pledge allegiance to the flag. The act outweighs the lessons learned.

Pledging allegiance to the state is exactly what is forced in totalitarian countries like the one who makes the majority of our flags now. The fact that most of you dont get this is exactly why this country has strayed so far from the ideals it was founded on.

You prove that the act outweighs the lessons.

Obama and the rest of the government offcials in all three branches should be pledging allegiance to our children and us. Every morning. Not the other way around.

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Funny, things have gotten so bad for this president that no matter what he does any more he will always piss off a lot of people.

He can't win.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join