It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US blocks release of detainee abuse pics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   

US blocks release of detainee abuse pics

au.news.yahoo.com

Defence Secretary Robert Gates has blocked the public release of 44 pictures of foreign detainees abused by their US captors, saying their release would endanger American soldiers.

The Obama administration filed a brief with the Supreme Court late on Friday saying that Gates has invoked new powers blocking the release of the photos.

The American Civil Liberties Union had sued for the release of 21 colour photographs showing prisoners in Afghanistan and Iraq being abused by Americans. Federal courts had rejected the government's arguments to block their release, so Congress gave Gates ne
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I would like to say this is beyond belief, but unfortunately it's something I have come to expect from the US government.

What a ridiculous excuse they used too - that it would endanger the lives of American soldiers and others. Hmm. They are in a war zone - that in itself puts them in danger doesn't it? What are they afraid of, that people will actually be able to SEE what human rights abuses occur behind closed doors?

This is nothing more than a government cover-up in order to avoid being seen as just as bad as the people they are supposedly fighting.

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
The courts agreed the pictures should be released and the president and congress found a way to usurp the courts decision. This is clearly messed up. It is so clear that the president and congress are being lead as pawns by the real powers that are in control of this country. Overthrow the government, it won't matter because the true powers will just put their stooges back in place to run our lives. This is really a sad sad country we live in.

I think someone should buy a big island someplace and we should all tell the American Government to go screw itself an leave never to return. I am sure we could form a happy Liberty and freedom loving government if we were able to try. problem is then the American government would call us all traitors for no good reason and nuke us all to hell.

We cant fix it from within, and we cant leave. This is truly a Prison Planet.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

I think someone should buy a big island someplace and we should all tell the American Government to go screw itself an leave never to return.

I agree, except replace "American Government" with "The governments of the world".

Someone already beat us to it though!!! Check out this place....

Sealand

Sealand was founded as a sovereign Principality in 1967 in international waters, six miles off the eastern shores of Britain. In late June of 2006, the island suffered a devastating fire which destroyed much of the country's administrative centre and the main power generation facility which serves its population and industries. Fortunately, back-up systems exist which permit its activities to continue but the disaster has compromised significantly the quality of life of its inhabitants and the continued development of the island's economic and social growth.

The history of Sealand is a story of a struggle for liberty. Sealand was founded on the principle that any group of people dissatisfied with the oppressive laws and restrictions of existing nation states may declare independence in any place not claimed to be under the jurisdiction of another sovereign entity. The location chosen was Roughs Tower, an island fortress created in World War II by Britain and subsequently abandoned to the jurisdiction of the High Seas. The independence of Sealand was upheld in a 1968 British court decision where the judge held that Roughs Tower stood in international waters and did not fall under the legal jurisdiction of the United Kingdom. This gave birth to Sealand's national motto of E Mare Libertas, or "From the Sea, Freedom".

The official language of Sealand is English and the Sealand Dollar has a fixed exchange rate of one U.S. dollar. Passports and stamps have been in circulation since 1969 and the latter decade of the 20th century saw an impressive expansion in its activity both socially and industrially as it began to develop a growing economic base which underscored its long-standing membership of the international community of States.

There is also a story I heard years ago of a family somewhere here in Australia that set up their own "Kingdom" somewhere over in Western Australia. The Aussie government can't touch them as far as I heard. I tried to find some information on it but given that I can't even remember the name they gave the Kingdom, then my searches have proved fruitless.

[edit on 15/11/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

I would like to say this is beyond belief, but unfortunately it's something I have come to expect from the US government.

Unfortunately true.

They document torture, murder, the rape of children and God knows what else. Then they hide it with security classifications or other nonsense. Our government was never meant to have this kind of power. They have morphed into something that is massively evil.

This government's criminal behavior make me ashamed to be American.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
www.asylum.com.au...
There's a start. He did this in the 70's. I remember it. He calls himself HRH Prince Leonard & it's Hutt River in Western Australia. There's a bit about it as a comment down the bottom.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Mummu

Ahah! Cheers mate, ever since I wrote that post that name (HRH Prince Leonard) has been sitting on the tip of my tongue annoying the hell out of me hehe.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

something to think about people. For a long time now there have been conspiracies. conspiracies on aliens,ufos,kennedy assassanation's,taxes etc. etc. are all these just attempts at entertainment to keep you pegged in front of your tv or computer. we live in a democracy a govt run by the people for the people do we not? we all agree on one thing cynical or not. We want answers right? Well unity and great masses are the only way to get answers in this country we are entitled to them under the laws that our four fathers brought forth 250 years ago. If we feel threatned by something our govt is doing we have the right to bring it forward and retain answers. Perhaps a million man march on area 51? something to think about. perhaps a print out for us as hard working americans as to where excactly all our tax dollars go. Did we not fight england to gain our own independent nation based against there high taxation and laws. Well I see the same thing coming right back. the point is people unity great masses of people who want a change who want answers need to get together and legally get our answers? Please I beg your feedback

new topics

top topics

join