It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should guns be allowed in airplanes for example?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Guns don't kill people, people do. If everyone carries guns, it'll deter the criminals. Those are the usual arguments from the right wingers. I understand about the right to bear arms, but I'm not sure that it's a good idea to let everybody to carry guns everywhere.

This is one odd example. Will The Public Recoil From Guns In Parks?

Same thing with the park story, if guns are allowed in airplane, will it prevent incident like 9/11?

[edit on Sat, 14 Nov 09 by Jazzyguy]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
no, only US marshalls should carry guns on planes.....or maybe the pilot.

(and I'm a gun owner BTW)

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Its a bad idea on airplanes. There were be no easy way to ensure caliber, bullet weight or powder charge.

The fed marshalls that are on the planes carry special ammo that will not go through the hull of the plane.

Joe Average shooting a regular round that through the hull of the plane at 30,000 feet would likey not be a good thing.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Hi, investigative persons.

The 9/11 murders where NOT done by terrorists.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And the planes that did some of it, where radio-controled.

Blue skies.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
if they allowed guns on planes, then ANYONE perceived as a threat would get gunned down. also it would require SO MUCH more security such as making sure the person who has the gun is the owner, making sure it has a lock, making sure its not loaded and the ammo is probably stored or whatever, etc...

it would be a nightmare. its easier without them.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
As was pointed out many rounds are design to travel through a target, and could pierce the hull (they are very lightweight and weak).

Not to mention one even going off by accident in a pressurised area would destroy the ears of every one on board.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
The only real problems I see is that bullets punching holes in the airplane body's thin skin will lead to depressurization and possible loss of life. People are not trained and even if a terrorist were to get up, the person shooting would potentially be able to kill several bystanders with a single bullet if he misses the terrorist.

IMO we need more air marshalls and more training.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy
Guns don't kill people, people do. If everyone carries guns, it'll deter the criminals. Those are the usual arguments from the right wingers. I understand about the right to bear arms, but I'm not sure that it's a good idea to let everybody to carry guns everywhere.

This is one odd example. Will The Public Recoil From Guns In Parks?

Same thing with the park story, if guns are allowed in airplane, will it prevent incident like 9/11?

[edit on Sat, 14 Nov 09 by Jazzyguy]

If one believes the OS 9/11 nonsense, perhaps being armed would of been helpful. Ref Air Marshals .... there aren't that many so not much help there. I suppose the OP and folks that offered their thoughts are to young to recall, when ANYONE could simply board a commercial airliner with a pistol in ones pocket. As I recall aircraft were not raining out of the sky due to unintentional discharges. Personally, I would pay extra to fly without all the TSA silliness. They serve no purpose what-so-ever other then systematic harassment of the traveling public. It would also be convenient to carry my favorite pocket knife onboard. I believe the flaw in your statement is with " Everyone". I wouldn't want "Everyone" to board an airliner drenched in Old Spice cologne.
PS
I am not a Right wing anything, just a guy who is attempting to use a little common sense.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
To shoot the gremlins???

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I think a clever idea would to have a non-lethal beanbag gun behind every seat.

You wouldn't have to worry about innocents getting killed (for the most part) and windows wouldn't be shattered.

Hey, if 30 passengers have to get knocked out to save the whole plane from a terrorist or whatever, then it sounds pretty good to me.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Yeah but, one child kicking my seat gets a face full of bean, his parents shoot some half-assed bean parenting back at me, hits somebody else, soon theres a whole bean bag war!

...not that that wouldnt be the best damn plane ride ever!

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Oh I can see it now..........

Someone thinks he sees a drawn weapon, so he pulls his own gun.

Five more people also draw weapons, and a shot is fired.

Then twenty more people start shooting not knowing who started it.

The aircraft then falls out of the sky because of all the broken wiring and leaking hydraulics.

By the time the aircraft spears into the ground, everyone on board has been shot several times anyway.

Welcome aboard, have a nice flight............

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Let me put it this way.

With the exception of elite organized crime, the "casual" crimes occur when certain ideas are publicized.

If people could carry guns on planes, more than likely it will be all over the news. When that happens, all the loons will get the idea of bringing their gun on the plane, and then one of the loons will get an even brighter idea of shooting people.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
What're we talking about here? Guns on planes or guns in parks?

Guns on planes are a bad idea for the same reason that a lit cigarrette is a bad idea when you're pumping gas... one errant spark and the whole thing goes up in smoke... or in the case of planes, down in a blaze of de-pressurized agony.

In state parks? Well, the occasional drunk baby's-daddy drama with an intoxicated redneck aside, I'd rather face a hungry black bear with a gun rather than a stick...

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Just to add this to the discussion...

This was a pretty impressive episode of mythbusters where they busted the idea that a bullet will cause explosive decompression of the aircraft cabin...

Still I don't think people should have access to their guns on a flight (but it's OK to have them in the hold if the airline has that policy)... Sky marshells and maybe even the pilot is a different matter... At the very very most possibly a tazer but even that could have problems.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Explosive decompression is not going to happen, unless someone has a shotgun or an RPG..

But damage to the flight controls that run the length of the aircraft might be potentially a lot more serious.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
no, only US marshalls should carry guns on planes.....or maybe the pilot.

(and I'm a gun owner BTW)

I agree. I'm all for gun rights, but we have to respect how much power they have, and that it is substantially increased in places like an airplane at 40,000 feet. Many of the TSA's restrictions are pretty silly and just for show, but the restrictions on firearms are quite reasonable, and I support them as well as the Air Marshals. Most people would not be a problem, but it would only take one to cause a very serious problem.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
It would be interesting to conduct a poll.

Would you feel safer if................:

A/ Everyone was armed, loaded hand guns being compulsory for every passenger
The airline will hand them out at the departure lounge..

B/ Strictly no guns for anyone on board.
X ray and body search of everyone before boarding.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Meh.. I think I would get a little nervous if everywhere I went people were strapped and loaded.

Think about it people -- that's a disaster waiting to happen.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Is it? There are an awful lot of people with legal concealed carry permits these days. With the rare exception, they're not the ones committing crimes, either.

As for guns on airplanes...no. The chances of damaging the aircraft itself is too great. On the other hand, I have no problem whatsoever with allowing guns in public parks. It would almost certainly save some of those people that get killed by anything from coyotes to bears while in our parks every year.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join