It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4000 post count limit- question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
ATS member LunaCognita has told me that when he tries to post in a thread he is only being allowed 4000 characters per post.

right now he has 38 posts and i thought after a new member posted more than 20 posts they could start threads but how can he start a thread if he is limited to 4000 post count ?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

what does he have to have to get to the 10,000 character post limit ?

does anyone know the answer to this ?

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Nope. I don't know the rules. All I know is I can post 10,000 characters maximum. Anyway, what one can do to thwart the maximum character count is to post in parts. First start the thread. Then, if one runs out of characters available, then post more on an answer to the thread. I've seen it done many times. It's not a problem, really, unless one wants it to be a problem. Just my .02 New World Units worth.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Hey, wouldn't it be cool if members of ATS could do what members of congress do? You know, say, I give 2 minutes of my time to the respected represenative of mumbo jumbo state to use. Only ATS members could designate characters to other members.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Character counts in posts come in waves. 10,000 characters come once you have made 1000 posts total. 8000 comes after 500 posts. 6000 after 250 posts. etc.

Bear in mind this based on a foggy memory and a few years of being a member, so actual character limits with post counts may be off. I am sure there is a mod that can give a more accurate (and perhaps less outdated character limit to total post count) listing.

The 10, 000 character kimit is a nice bump. I hit the 8,000 limit a couple of times being particularly wordy in a reply. I have not hit the 10,000 limit yet, but came close a few times.

There is no shame in making a multi-post opening thread. It happens from time to time.

[edit on 14-11-2009 by Ahabstar]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

I believe you are correct, or it is something like that anyways. I always run out of room(even with 10,000), so I split the thread or reply into parts and post them immediately after each other, works well.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

thanks for the help kyred ,

i am obviously asking for a friend to help him out and he has been not saying as much as he would normally because of the limit and i am guessing that he doesn't like making multiple posts just to say what he needs to say. i don't think using congress for any kind of example is a good idea , just look at how screwed up they are...lmao

reply to post by Ahabstar

thanks Ahabstar for that info,

i really don't remember having to go threw those same hoops to get to the 10,000 limit. you might be correct though and the rules have changed or something ? i don't know but i hope someone can tell me if that's how it works or is it a problem with just his account ?

i haven't hit the 10,000 mark myself too many times so it isn't a problem for me but i know LunaCognita is holding back from saying as much as he normally would. he kept asking about this so i thought i would try and help him and find out for sure. thanks i appreciate your reply and like you said, hopefully a mod will be able to tell me what's up.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Hmm, I just learned something new in this thread.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Is this the same LunaCognita that made this video?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by easynow
i don't know but i hope someone can tell me if that's how it works or is it a problem with just his account ?

It's not a problem with his account, that's how it works. I can confirm seeing my limit go from 4000 to 6000, 8000 then 10,000 as I made more posts, but I didn't note the exact number of posts at which that occurred but Ahabstar's numbers look about right.

I'm not sure why it's a problem to make multiple posts, unless he's not using a word editor like Wordpad to write the post. Use Wordpad, then just paste it and see where it truncates, scale back a little and paste the rest to the next post, it's not hard at all.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Off topic @ 2:55 its ours, isn't she a dream.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

It's not a problem with his account, that's how it works. I can confirm seeing my limit go from 4000 to 6000, 8000 then 10,000 as I made more posts, but I didn't note the exact number of posts at which that occurred but Ahabstar's numbers look about right.

ok thanks for the info. like i said previously i don't remember having to jump threw the hoops and that might be because i just wasn't saying enough to find that there was a limit.

I'm not sure why it's a problem to make multiple posts, unless he's not using a word editor like Wordpad to write the post. Use Wordpad, then just paste it and see where it truncates, scale back a little and paste the rest to the next post, it's not hard at all.

well i can't speak for him on why it's holding him back but i know it is. i'm guessing that maybe putting it in a word document first is just more work and a pre planned type of reply isn't his cup of tea ?

i don't know but i will relay the info to him and he can take from there. thanks everyone for the help and just to note to the staff....this is not a complaint , only a question to help a fellow member who asked me a question.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

It isn't a question of word processors', it is post level. The aforementioned member has simply not made enough posts to achieve a 10,000 character count level.

[edit on 11/15/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

yes i already know it has nothing to do with a word document. i mentioned that because it was suggested in this thread the he could use a program like that to have a long post broke up into different parts and then post them.

if i am going to post a new thread it's a good idea but if your just discussing something in a thread already started and you like to say alot like LunaCognita does then it not as sensible in my opinion. he has said in alot of his posts "sorry gang but i am limited to 4000 characters"

that means he would have said more if he was not limited and sure he could just post another response but it would be nice if he didn't have to do that.

the only reason i started this thread was to find out exactly what the requirements were to have a higher post count limit and let him know. that's all my friend, thanks for your reply

[edit on 15-11-2009 by easynow]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I would suggest the member contact staff directly:

ATS Complain/Suggestion

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

why is it a big secret or something ?...lol (i'm joking)

i will let him know what to do, i just thought this was a simple question that would have a simple answer ?

thanks GEL

top topics

join