It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

31 Quotes that everyone should read.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
These are some quotes ,I Have ran across in the last year or two and saved.I find them very inspiring ,and important that should never be forgotten.The following are not in know particular order.

#1 “When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.” Thomas Jefferson

#2 "Give me liberty or give me death" Patrick Henry

#3 "Goverment is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."George Washington

#4 "I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they ever that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men. "
Robert Green Ingersoll

#5 "We need men with moral courage to speak and write their real thoughts, and to stand by their convictions, even to the very death." Robert Green Ingersoll

#6 "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." Albert Einstein

#7 "Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." Albert Einstein

#8 "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein

#9 "The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." Albert Einstein

#10 "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" Albert Einstein

#11 "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. " Albert Einstein

#12 "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." J.F.K

#13 "We need men who can dream of things that never were. " J.F.K

#14 "Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it. "
Martin Luther King Jr.

#15 "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
Martin Luther King Jr

#16 "Let no man pull you low enough to hate him." Martin Luther King Jr.

#17 "Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity. Hate destroys a man's sense of values and his objectivity. It causes him to describe the beautiful as ugly and the ugly as beautiful, and to confuse the true with the false and the false with the true." Martin Luther King Jr.

#18 "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." Martin Luther King Jr.

#19 "We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools. Martin Luther King Jr.

#20 "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." Martin Luther King Jr

#21 "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. " Voltaire

#22 "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. " Voltaire

#23 "Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers. "Voltaire

#24 "It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong." Voltaire

#25 "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." Socrates

#26 "I am not an Athenian or a Greek, but a citizen of the world."

#27 "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs." Thomas Jefferson

#28 "You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you. " Eric Hoffer

#29 "For every action there is an equal and opposite government program." Bob Wells

#30 "Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere" Albert Einstein

Last but not least #31 "CONDEMNATION WITHOUT INVESTIGATION IS THE HEIGHT OF ALL IGNORANCE" Albert Einstein

Feel free to post any quotes that are important to you.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I consider Martin Luther King Jr to be a phenomenal influence upon my personal world paradigm. So much more than a human rights advocate and activist he possessed an innate poetic aptitude in the words that he spoke.

We must come to see that human progress never rolls in on the wheels of inevitability... We must use time creatively, and forever realise that the time is always ripe to do right.

My personal favourite:

Somehow we must be able to stand up before our most bitter opponents and say: "We shall match your capacity to inflict suffering by our capacity to endure suffering. We will meet your physical force with soul force. Do to us what you will and we will still love you... But be assured that we'll wear you down by our capacity to suffer, and one day we will win our freedom. We will not only win freedom for ourselves, we will so appeal to your heart and conscience that we will win you in the process, and our victory will be a double victory.

Every man lives in two realms, the internal and the external. The internal is that realm of spiritual ends expressed in art, literature, morals and religion. The external is that complex of devices, techniques, mechanisms, and instrumentalities by means of which we live. Our problem today is that we have allowed the internal to become lost in the external. We have allowed the means by which we live to outdistance the ends for which we live.

And various other inspirational phrases:

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions,
even though they have been held in honour for many generations
and in diverse places.
Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it.
Do not believe on the faith of sages of the past.
Do not believe what you yourself have imagined,
persuaded yourself that a God inspires you.
Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests.
After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable,
and conform your conduct thereto.

Buddha

For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.

2 Corinthians 4:17-18

Unless our minds are stable and calm, no matter how comfortable our physical condition may be, they will give us no pleasure. Therefore, the key to a happy life, now and i the future, is to develop a happy mind.

The Dalai Lama

P.S. My fav in the OP is #10 - Einstein. So very true..

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by pretty_vacant

Thanks for the post .I see a few more in there Im gonna have to add to my collection.And yes M.L.K. was defenely one of a kind.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I like this quote:

"If man makes himself a worm he must not complain when he is trodden on". -Kant.

new topics

top topics

join