It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Bombers' Secrfet UK Missions 'Not A Friendly Act'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   

RUSSIAN BOMBERS' SECRET UK MISSIONS 'NOT A FRIENDLY ACT'

www.express.co.uk

BRITISH passenger jets are being endangered by long-range Russian bombers flying secret monthly missions around UK skies, the Government has warned.

The Ministry of Defence fears a catastrophic collision between civilian airliners and Russian “Bear” bombers, which have been heading towards Britain without notifying air traffic controllers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit - All Caps Title.

[edit on Sat, 14 Nov 2009 20:12:39 -0600 by MemoryShock]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
It seems as if the Russian have been checking to see how close they can get to the borders of countries lately. This thread is what influenced me to investigate further...Russian Bombers Near Alaska
I wonder what the Russians are trying to do here?

www.express.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Flying Russians will no longer be tolerated.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

He said: “If nobody knew the Russians were there, they would be a threat to civilian traffic, but in fact they are monitored right from take-off.

“In fact, it’s good training for our people—and for theirs. I wouldn’t say they are a threat to civilian flights.”

I doubt there is any greater risk of a collision - in fact those Bears will probably be watched much more closely than the normal traffic - this seems like more of a political argument really...

It would be dangerous if Russia started using stealthy aircraft I suppose - but you can't hide those Bears when they are flying! - for one thing they are so loud the pilots in the fighter jets that intercept them complain about the engine noise - they can hear it over their own engines! - In the cold war submarines could track them from hundreds of miles away - to start off they had no idea what the noise was they were picking up

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cadbury
Flying Russians will no longer be tolerated.

The bombers, which the Government concedes do not pose a military threat, have been intercepted repeatedly in skies classified as the UK’s Flight Information Region – a corridor of international airspace 12 nautical miles from the British coast.

Andrew Brookes, an aviation analyst at the International Institute for Strategic Studies, downplayed the risk.

He said: “If nobody knew the Russians were there, they would be a threat to civilian traffic, but in fact they are monitored right from take-off.

“In fact, it’s good training for our people—and for theirs. I wouldn’t say they are a threat to civilian flights.”

Awww, they just want to play!

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifENcircleS

Conduct military exercises in a realistic environment maybe? It is not like Russia is the only country is the world that conducts military exercises outside of its own borders. UK and their American friends aren't really on any moral high ground when it comes to things like this.

It's either that, or Russia is getting ready to bomb Scotland in oblivion, with two whole bear bombers. One of these days these bombers won't turn around like that always do, but will continue on to Edinburgh, meanwhile on the other side of the globe two more bear bombers will dump their load on Anchorage. And then the Russian world domination will be complete.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
If I was playing a lot of Call of Duty 4, Modern Warfare 2 and I was an adviser of some obscure military intelligence between US and UK I would just suggest to take one of these UK airliners, strap it with some remote controlled device and put it to a collision course with one of these Russian bears, which notably, are taking of from geographical locations that is very easy to be monitored by NATO and of course as another poster mentioned, their size and noise makes them a very distinguishable target. You might know where they are without you having to look for it. Maybe even a blind pilot could avoid them.
Putting a noisy behemoth as this to do this job, probably implies that Russians might be aware of the chance of a false flag scenario occurring but somehow they have to push with their overfly plans.

But it would all for the greater good I suppose if I believed that the "greater good" would indicate that a war between Russia and NATO should start, like some key advisers of Mr. Obama is being repeatedly reported that they believe.

[edit on 14-11-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by maloy

I wouldn't worry too much about the bombs - it's the cheeky sucker punch delivered by a cruise missile deployed too close to be taken down... Those things can carry a few cruise missile can't they?

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by maloy

the Russian world domination will be complete.

HAHAHA Yes Alaska and Scotland bombing will secure their world takeover ambitions
Maybe they need to think on a grander scale...like maybe 34.7°N 85.7°E considered by most to be the most remote place on the planet... Link To Map Click Satelite If You Don't See It

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacebot

But it would all for the greater good I suppose if I believed that the "greater good" would indicate that a war between Russia and NATO should start, like some key advisers of Mr. Obama is being repeatedly reported that they believe.

[edit on 14-11-2009 by spacebot]

If a war between NATO and Russia happened I pray for the Russians because we would decimate them
poor Russia

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
I wouldn't worry too much about the bombs - it's the cheeky sucker punch delivered by a cruise missile deployed too close to be taken down... Those things can carry a few cruise missile can't they?

My point is that getting all worked up worrying about a few bear bombers is absurd for a NATO member country. It doesn't matter if it's one or one hundred bombers, or if they are carrying missiles, bombs, or toilet paper - none of that is going to make much difference in an all-out conflict that would result from an attack.

There is nothing inherently threatening about these exercises. The US has their carrier fleets with dozens of ships and jets roaming in international waters at all times. Russia periodically sends a few bombers into international airspace, which at most times don't even carry armament. When UK or US airforce sends intercepts out to greet them, that too is training - and there is usually a mutual understanding and no ill intention from pilots on both sides.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Muscle flexing by Russia, the same rhetoric they have been at for the last 40 years, move along here nothing to see

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

If a war between NATO and Russia happened I pray for the Russians because we would decimate them
poor Russia

What about poor 100+ million people in NATO countries who will be reduced to nuclear dust if such a scenario was to happen? Are you seriously suggesting that there would be any winners in a nuclear war? As far as non-nuclear war goes, US and its allies are having a tough time "decimating" a bunch of ragtag militants in Afghanistan. So your chest-beating is really overplaying the reality factor here.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the level
Muscle flexing by Russia, the same rhetoric they have been at for the last 40 years, move along here nothing to see

Muscle flexing is what large countries have been doing since their existance. US and UK included. The rhetoric is mutual, and they are all pots and kettles.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

poor Russia

What about poor 100+ million people in NATO countries who will be reduced to nuclear dust if such a scenario was to happen? Are you seriously suggesting that there would be any winners in a nuclear war? As far as non-nuclear war goes, US and its allies are having a tough time "decimating" a bunch of ragtag militants in Afghanistan. So your chest-beating is really overplaying the reality factor here.

NAH there will be no winners in this hypothetical war! I'm not chest-beating here thou...I am a Russian by birth and have much family and friends there. I would never want a war between us! I only said this because after the event in Georgia last year it became evident that Russia's conscript army(for which I served 2 years) is not up to a modern war. True we(America) can't win in Afghanistan we have more sophisticated weapons and real world training...In nuclear war nobody will win. I apologize for "chest-beating" I don't wish for war anywhere. I was only applying my opinion that NATO is a force greater than Russia due to the fact that if all the NATO countries applied their military strength combined against Russia (without nuclear weapons) then Russia would stand no chance.

LifENcircleS

[edit on 11/14/2009 by LifENcircleS]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I wonder how many American and NATO fighter long range reconnaisance missions fly over northern russia each day?

I dont understadn why people get worked up on this when almost every country considered a super power does it....or is it just that you Americans dont like commies?

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

I only said this because after the event in Georgia last year it became evident that Russia's conscript army(for which I served 2 years) is not up to a modern war.

This is off topic, but there were barely any conscripts in Georgia conflict. It was mostly the ragtag veteran militia from Chechnya serving under the GRU who took part in the fighting. Also from the limited scale of operations, the Russian forces were largely successful in achieving their objectives quickly. The Georgian war doesn't really tell much about Russia's military capabilities. Russian forces that took part in that operation are from the North Caucasus military district, which hardly had modern equipment. Also there have been sweeping reforms initiated in the Russian army recently. Truth is that no one really knows the true extend of Russian military capability, since they have not been involved in large scale war since Afghanistan.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

No offence intended to the brilliant Maloy, but I've never trusted a Russian that's gotten so high up into the air that I can't properly see it any more. Call me crazy, but it's always good to be mindful of Russians who have gotten that high up into the air.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LifENcircleS

In case you haven't noticed they have revised their strategic dogma that would require only an outside conventional attack for them to respond nuclear. Also something called "dead hand" or "hand from coffin" as the meaning is in Russian that would assure a mutual no win situation for the attacker and the defendant. They now rest very assured that something like the whole NATO attacking them won't happen. Unless of course something really really extraordinary happens.
Watching their mindset I noticed 3 things:
They know how to play chess.
They can use their disadvantages for their own benefit.
They use defensive strategy yet they get the same benefits if they used aggressiveness.

If only US would be capable of that they would had ruled the entire planet 3 times over. Plus I am afraid that whoever design the US strategy, helping the US acquire full dominance is not one of their goals.
So I would be careful what I wish for.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I only said this because after the event in Georgia last year it became evident that Russia's conscript army(for which I served 2 years) is not up to a modern war.

This is off topic, but there were barely any conscripts in Georgia conflict. It was mostly the ragtag veteran militia from Chechnya serving under the GRU who took part in the fighting. Also from the limited scale of operations, the Russian forces were largely successful in achieving their objectives quickly. The Georgian war doesn't really tell much about Russia's military capabilities. Russian forces that took part in that operation are from the North Caucasus military district, which hardly had modern equipment. Also there have been sweeping reforms initiated in the Russian army recently. Truth is that no one really knows the true extend of Russian military capability, since they have not been involved in large scale war since Afghanistan.

OK you win. I am sorry. I do not wish to make an enemy of you maloy. My opinions are torn between Russia and America and that is obvious to anyone who reads these posts. I also seem to be less knowledgeable than you when it comes to military issues. Please take no offense. There will never be a war between my/our 2 countries. России-замечательная страна! and so is the United States...

LifENcircleS

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join