It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois prison top contender to house Gitmo detainees, official says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Illinois prison top contender to house Gitmo detainees, official says

www.cnn.com

Washington (CNN) -- A prison in northern Illinois is the leading contender to house some detainees transferred from the federal facility in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, two Obama administration officials told CNN Saturday.

Officials from the department of Defense, Justice and Homeland Security and federal Bureau of Prisons will be will be visiting the maximum-security Thomson Correctional Center, about 150 miles west of Chicago, on Monday, the officials said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Well isn't this interesting? Wasn't there some place in Montana or something where they were vying for the spot?

Something about a private military force that would take care of them and a prison which is vacant at the moment?

In any case I am sure whoever gets it will get tons of government money and a no fly zone to go along with their new neighboors.

Thoughts anyone?

~Keeper

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't really matter where these guys go. Once the inmates hear that they're terrorists, they'll be hunted and executed in hardly no time at all. I'd imagine they'd be viewed along the same lines as child molesters or rapists behind bars - innocent or not. Anyone who has seen Shawshank Redemption can tell you that everybody behind bars is innocent

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
This is somewhat disturbing news for me. That prison, Thompson prison, is only 30 miles away from me. So glad I may be living near former Guantanamo prisoners

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

When I first read about this in the news, I couldnt believe it. Obama wants suspected terrorist prisoners in the state that he was a senator in, hmmmm.....then once all the prisoners are there, how many trips a month will he take back to "visit" his home state???

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by rangersdad
reply to post by tothetenthpower

When I first read about this in the news, I couldnt believe it. Obama wants suspected terrorist prisoners in the state that he was a senator in, hmmmm.....then once all the prisoners are there, how many trips a month will he take back to "visit" his home state???

I think it has more to do with payback...heard on the news the state/local government will get a billion dollars in federal money over the next few years...The fact that Obama chose his home state to send the billions of dollars too isn't very surprising...Chicago politics afterall...

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Another thing I just thought of that I'd like to add to this, that prison is only 25 miles from one nuclear power plant and 30 from another. I can't speak for anyoneelse, but I'd rather not have Guantanamo prisoners that close to those plants.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
What troubled me about this story was that this prision was built for... "what reason"?? It has been setting there empty for a couple years. Why was it built? Why not build a school to help prevent crime . Possibilities are endless. Maybe for those apposed to being chiped or taken a shot...hmmmm

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

Haven't really figured that one out myself, all they've said locally about it is "It presents a lot of economic opportunities." What opportunities they may derive from a prison, I have no clue.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

They built the prison intending on opening it to reduce over crowding in other prisons in the state. At the end of the day they could not afford to fully operate and staff the facility so they never opened it. A few things to consider along with the prior post that informs that there are in fact two nuclear facilities near this prison, O'hare airport is not too far away and this particular prison was built for low end offenders and has an open format. It will require a ton of dough to make it secure enough for the boys in Cuba. This has boondoggle written all over it. Political paybacks. Oh well, since the star power did not bring the olympics to Chicago to pay back the machine, something had to be done. Prison's bring a lot of jobs. All of the workers in the facility (all union) as well as all of the ancilliary businesses that support it.

Lastly, the largest Muslim area in the country is, I think in Dearborn, MI and that ain't too far away.

I would not want to live close to it.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by warbird03

Haven't really figured that one out myself, all they've said locally about it is "It presents a lot of economic opportunities." What opportunities they may derive from a prison, I have no clue.

People have to staff the prison, bring food and supplies into the prison, upkeep the prison, motels for people visiting the prison, restaurants, laundromats, etc. etc. etc.

All of that generates money within a community.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Looks like the prison was picked for Guantanamo "detainees", after all.

AP sources: Ill. prison to get Gitmo detainees

Quote from : WASHINGTON (AP) -

Taking an important step on the thorny path to closing the U.S. detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, the White House plans to announce Tuesday that the government will acquire an underutilized state prison in rural Illinois to be the new home for a limited number of terrorist suspects held at Guantanamo.

Sorry, I do not want these prisoners, or "detainees" on American soil.

I preferred them off in some place like Cuba, before they would jeopardize American lives if a potential escape happened, or before either Bush or Obama decided to start rounding up American's as "terrorists" for speaking their mind freely which is exactly where I see this prison facility heading eventually because I have no faith in Obama to not abuse his power as President.

I guess the Michigan prison was turned down?

Mich. Prison Assessed For Possible Gitmo Transfers

Quote from : STANDISH, Mich. (AP) -

Federal and state officials visited a maximum-security prison in rural Michigan on Thursday to begin assessing its suitability to house Guantanamo Bay detainees.

top topics

join