It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lethal CO2 to be stored under towns and villages to prevent climate change

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Have people in this world lost their ever-loving minds?! This, for sure, goes in the WTF category!

Lethal gas may have to be stored under villages, says adviser

Millions of tonnes of potentially lethal carbon dioxide may have to be stored deep under towns and villages to prevent climate change, according to a senior government adviser.

The storage sites would have to be closely monitored to detect any leaks and an alarm system would be needed to warn nearby residents of the danger of asphyxiation. New bylaws might have to be passed prohibiting bedrooms on the ground floor because of the risk of CO2 poisoning as people slept.

So now they're willing to risk the lives of hundreds of thousands (presumably) to hazardously store CO2 from power plants to prevent a naturally occurring cycle. All I can say is this is just plain insanity. God save us from these people.

“The worst-case scenario would be a situation where people were unaware there had been a leak,” he said. “In particular weather conditions or in confined spaces, those people could suffer asphyxiation.”

He said that Britain would need to learn from Ciampino near Rome, where CO2 leakage from the ground was a natural hazard controlled by monitoring and alarm systems. “People do make mistakes,” Dr Riley said.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Dr Riley, who advises the Government on carbon storage, said that the areas of Britain with suitable geology for carbon storage included parts of Dorset, Hampshire, Gloucestershire, Cheshire, Norfolk and Lincolnshire.

I'm sorry for these people. I hope the geology where I live isn't suitable.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
couldnt they just you know.....convert the CO2 into some harmless or less harmful?

or plant some more trees to suck up the CO2?
hell...launching the CO2 into the sun would be a better choice than creating stores of deadly gas.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

The proposed offshore storage sites in the North Sea and Irish Sea might not be practical for all the carbon produced by power stations, he said. “Onshore storage can be much cheaper because you don’t have the transport costs or the problem of building long pipelines, but then you have to persuade people it is safe.”

I suppose that this is so the corporations can pretend that they are "in line" with the Kyoto agreement or some other such proposal.

This is big businesses way of covering their tracks. Just like the way they found a solution for fluoride pollution---just put it in the drinking water and "persuade" them it's beneficial.

This is all a tactic for big businesses to hide their trash and pollution at the expense of the people's lives.

Bury the methane and say "they have complied with regulations of reducing emmissions".

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

That's a rather complacent attitude. And also very selfish.
"It's OK as long as it doesn't effect me."

That's exactly why they get away with doing things like this!

[edit on 14-11-2009 by Alethea]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I just went to a seminar about CO2 sequestration and if it breaks free from the storage hold it will kill everyone in the town! It happened in remote mountains near lakes that released ancient CO2 deposits and thousands were killed! it is a bad idea but they are doing it anyways...It is already happening Here Is The Company Doing It

LifENcircleS

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
This global warming BS has gotten way outta control!

Now they're seriously planning to put whole towns in danger to appease the environmentalist wackos. Insanity truely rules the world.

If they really have to do something with their CO2 in order to lower their "carbon footprint"
Why don't they pump it into a greenhouse or a forest where it will do some good and be transformed into oxygen by the plants?

Oh yeah, that would make sense. Can't have any of that, it's against the law in most states.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Don't worry everyone, this is all just a lead-up to when were all forced to live in giant domed acropolises high up in the air like in the Jetsons. Personally I'm waiting for the flying cars.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I'm astounded by this. It sounds like an asinine stupid idea.

How do they manage to come up with these flabbergasting ideas?

I'm waiting for the next study to come out that shows that c02 storage in the ground actually helps purify drinking water and makes grass greener. Don't laugh, it's coming.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Here is a map of some proposed storage sites in Texas.

These large-volume injection tests are designed to demonstrate that CO2 storage sites have the potential to store regional CO2 emissions safely, permanently, and economically for hundreds of years.

These large scale injection tests will occur over several years.

Sources of CO2 may include natural deposits, ethanol facilities, natural gas processing plants, and even capture from power plants to give a idea of the potential sources.

www.netl.doe.gov...

There are several key technical risk features, events and processes for geologic CO2 storage and these include:

The release of CO2 from its storage location (e.g., via wellbores, faults or fractures, etc.)
Potential injection pressure increases or seismic events
Gravity-driven CO2 movement or residual trapping
Displacement of brine or other fluids

www.netl.doe.gov...

BURIED CO2 WILL PRODUCE MORE OIL??????

As a value-added benefit, when CO2 is injected into a mature oil reservoir, it can produce additional oil. This process, enhanced oil recovery (EOR), begins by injecting CO2 into an oil reservoir. A small amount of the injected CO2 dissolves in the oil, increasing the bulk volume and decreasing the viscosity, thereby facilitating flow to the wellbore.

www.netl.doe.gov...

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dashen
Don't worry everyone, this is all just a lead-up to when were all forced to live in giant domed acropolises high up in the air like in the Jetsons. Personally I'm waiting for the flying cars.

I want a flying car can you let me know when Area 51 starts their production line?

LifENcircleS

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

That's a rather complacent attitude. And also very selfish.
"It's OK as long as it doesn't effect me."

That's exactly why they get away with doing things like this!

[edit on 14-11-2009 by Alethea]

Did you not read MY OP?

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea

The proposed offshore storage sites in the North Sea and Irish Sea might not be practical for all the carbon produced by power stations, he said. “Onshore storage can be much cheaper because you don’t have the transport costs or the problem of building long pipelines, but then you have to persuade people it is safe.”

I suppose that this is so the corporations can pretend that they are "in line" with the Kyoto agreement or some other such proposal.

This is big businesses way of covering their tracks. Just like the way they found a solution for fluoride pollution---just put it in the drinking water and "persuade" them it's beneficial.

This is all a tactic for big businesses to hide their trash and pollution at the expense of the people's lives.

Bury the methane and say "they have complied with regulations of reducing emmissions".

This is being done for one reason and one reason only... MONEY. They are risking people's lives to save money while they make money. Your quote below is an excellent one and proves my point:

As a value-added benefit, when CO2 is injected into a mature oil reservoir, it can produce additional oil. This process, enhanced oil recovery (EOR), begins by injecting CO2 into an oil reservoir. A small amount of the injected CO2 dissolves in the oil, increasing the bulk volume and decreasing the viscosity, thereby facilitating flow to the wellbore.

www.netl.doe.gov...

MORE OIL.... to do what with? I thought that their whole argument was burning fossil fuels created a problem with CO2, yet they try to sell injecting CO2 into the ground to the public with the statement that they will be able to increase oil production??!!

This just gets more and more insane!

[edit on 14/11/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... carbon dioxide is a 'deadly gas'? When did this happen?

People, stop and think for a moment. You have been breathing CO2 since the day you were born! Your breath when you exhale contains CO2... and a lot of it! Every animal which has ever existed has produced CO2 through respiration.

CO2 is what causes plants to live. Cut the amount of CO2 too far, and all green plant life will die. All of it. No more food. Don't bother worrying about disturbing the food chain any more, because there won't be one to disturb!

Has anyone ever bought a plant form a nursery? Almost all of them use CO2 pumped into the greenhouses to promote growth and health of the plants. CO2 is to plant life like oxygen is to us.

Has anyone ever bought dry ice? Dry ice is solid CO2. It is also used in a lot of theatrical productions; it makes that eerie cold foggy mist that flows across the floor. That's almost pure CO2 when it forms... and yet to date no one has died from 'theatrical production sickness'.

This is just another silly media attempt to paint CO2 as something it is not. Don't fall for it! Deny ignorance!

TheRedneck

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Have people in this world lost their ever-loving minds?! This, for sure, goes in the WTF category!

I had the exact same thought before I even opened the thread. Good God, what the hell is the matter with these people?

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Carbon Dioxide is a toxic gas which is odourless and colourless. Rising levels of Carbon Dioxide affect the human body, but what level is dangerous and how do you know you are suffering from carbon Dioxide poisoning?

Confined spaces such as cellars or dispense gas stores come within the regulations of many countries. You may need to do a risk assessment and certainly, for your own peace of mind, you need to ensure the health and safety of you and your employees. One of the best ways is to install an Analox 50 carbon dioxide detector.

Where this everyday gas is stored in high concentrations people have died.

And this...

www.lenntech.com...

Carbon dioxide and health

Carbon dioxide is essential for internal respiration in a human body. Internal respiration is a process, by which oxygen is transported to body tissues and carbon dioxide is carried away from them.
Carbon dioxide is a guardian of the pH of the blood, which is essential for survival.
The buffer system in which carbon dioxide plays an important role is called the carbonate buffer. It is made up of bicarbonate ions and dissolved carbon dioxide, with carbonic acid. The carbonic acid can neutralize hydroxide ions, which would increase the pH of the blood when added. The bicarbonate ion can neutralize hydrogen ions, which would cause a decrease in the pH of the blood when added. Both increasing and decreasing pH is life threatening.

Apart from being an essential buffer in the human system, carbon dioxide is also known to cause health effects when the concentrations exceed a certain limit.

The primary health dangers of carbon dioxide are:
- Asphyxiation. Caused by the release of carbon dioxide in a confined or unventilated area. This can lower the concentration of oxygen to a level that is immediately dangerous for human health.
- Frostbite. Solid carbon dioxide is always below -78 oC at regular atmospheric pressure, regardless of the air temperature. Handling this material for more than a second or two without proper protection can cause serious blisters, and other unwanted effects. Carbon dioxide gas released from a steel cylinder, such as a fire extinguisher, causes similar effects.
- Kidney damage or coma. This is caused by a disturbance in chemical equilibrium of the carbonate buffer. When carbon dioxide concentrations increase or decrease, causing the equilibrium to be disturbed, a life threatening situation may occur.

Read more: www.lenntech.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I think you are mixing up Carbon-Dioxide with Carbon-Monoxide. Carbon Dioxide is not lethal, after all we produce it naturally. Now Carbon-Monoxide is very lethal, because it gets into your bloodstream and prevents your body from absorbing oxygen, which will cause you to slowly suffocate over time. Which does not happen with Carbon-Dioxide, the body simply pumps it out of the lungs.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Choronzon

Google it... CO2 is very dangerous.

The Dangers of Carbon Dioxide
1000ppm 0.1% Prolonged exposure can affect powers of concentration

5000 ppm 0.5% The normal international Safety Limit (HSE, OSHA)

10,000ppm 1% Your rate of breathing increases very slightly but you probably will not notice it.

15,000ppm 1.5% The normal Short Term Exposure Limit (HSE, OSHA)

20,000ppm 2% You start to breathe at about 50% above your normal rate. If you are exposed to this level over several hours you may feel tired and get a headache.

30,000ppm 3% You will be breathing at twice your normal rate. You may feel a bit dizzy at times, your heart rate and blood pressure increase and headaches are more frequent. Even your hearing can be impaired.

40,000-50,000ppm 4-5% Now the effects of CO2 really start to take over. Breathing is much faster - about four times the normal rate and after only 30 minutes exposure to this level you will show signs of poisoning and feel a choking sensation.

50,000-100,000ppm 5-10% You will start to smell carbon dioxide, a pungent but stimulating smell like fresh, carbonated water. You will become tired quickly with laboured breathing, headaches, tinnitus as well as impaired vision. You are likely to become confused in a few minutes, followed by unconsciousness.

100,000ppm-1,000,000ppm 10-100% Unconsciousness occurs more quickly, the higher the concentration. The longer the exposure and the higher the level of carbon dioxide, the quicker suffocation occurs.

Also, consider what happens when CO2, under pressure (as it would be if it were pumped into the earth), explodes.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
why on earth are there monkeys in high places making these kinds of decissions,... fools gold or pearls before swine ?

earth is getting colder and there is no evidence that the meak 1% of carbon we emit is in anyway even contributing to any sort of global climatorial change.

most of the so called "proof" documents are in fact "hear say" papers based on a paper based on a paper based on a paper which does not even talk about climate change but about trees and how hockey stick these days are brittle compared to thouse made in the 50-70´s ,

fact is planet earth has done the opposit of what these carbon computer simulations have shown , some scientist claim that by the carbon that we produce the weather gets warmer and a h2o haze gets created over our oceans "trapping" the warm rays of the sun making this place a little bit warmer, when in fact it dosent.

there is no proof of global warming but there is evidence of global cooling according to the data.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
why on earth are there monkeys in high places making these kinds of decissions,... fools gold or pearls before swine ?

there is no proof of global warming but there is evidence of global cooling according to the data.

There is quite a bit of evidence of global greed too.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join