It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How low will he go? Obama gives Japan's Emperor Akihito a wow bow (Updated with video, pic)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
the fingers on the left hand of the emperor are in the same position in both photos, tet I dont think that it is the same person. I think the person cheney is shaking hands with is a decoy. And the woman in the top photo is a maid. So far Ive seen the president hug a native american chief in ful head-dress and now this..come on man. I respect the presidency and have stuck up for this guy on several occasions. I wonder what moron did the research. He might as well have dropped onto both knees and presented him with all of our nuclear launch codes , in true Samurai fashion. At least it would have seemed more honorable. The no eye contact part is what really gripes my a@#.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
He is in the same bloodline as the British Roman Empire , carrying out the same plan that has been set in place for centuries , just in more surreptitiously perspective.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I'm no Obama fan, but come on - this blog is pushing it by suggesting that showing respect to another culture by bowing is demeaning or hypocrytical by any means. This is part of the far right that us true "conservatives" would like to see detach themselves from conservative ideology.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
It looks more like a submissive bow to me and that seems to be most people's issue with it although some seem to believe it's a sign of submission regardless, which it's not. I don't believe it would bother some people as much if it weren't for the fact that Obama's been on the "Apology For America Tour" for awhile now.

To add a different take, I read an article about it last night.

On President Obama's Bow to the Japanese Emperor, An Academic Friend Writes That Both the Left and the Right Are Wrong
November 15, 2009 2:53 PM

An old friend -- an academic with expertise about the Japanese Empire, and in general a supporter of President Obama -- sends me the following note, relating to photographs of President Obama bowing to Emperor Akihito of Japan.

"This picture shows two things," my friend writes.

"1) The 'right' is wrong about Obama's bow.

"2) The 'left' is wrong about Obama's bow.

"His bow is neither (1) unprecedented nor (2) a sign of cultural understanding.

"Obama's handshake/forward lurch was so jarring and inappropriate it recalls Bush's back-rub of Merkel.

"Kyodo News is running his appropriate and reciprocated nod and shake with the Empress, certainly to show the president as dignified, and not in the form of a first year English teacher trying to impress with Karate Kid-level knowledge of Japanese customs.

"The bow as he performed did not just display weakness in Red State terms, but evoked weakness in Japanese terms....The last thing the Japanese want or need is a weak looking American president and, again, in all ways, he unintentionally played that part.

"BTW, Obama's bow at Suntory Hall was much better. Correct angle, slight bow. His hands were wrong but the physical tone was correct and appropriate.

ABC News on "The Bow"

It sounds to me as though he was attempting to show an appreciation for the culture but was not well informed on how to do it. I'm no Obama fan but it just sounds to me as though he just botched it, not that he was intentionally showing weakness or submission. I'd liken it to a batter without timing or adequate hand-eye coordination. He knows what he's supposed to do(Swing the bat and hit the ball) but it doesn't turn out the way he expects it to when his time comes.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I wonder if anyone can find a story covering how this story was reported on in the land of the rising sun ? Be interesting to see how they have spun this .

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I think the main reason people are paying attention to this is because of the new political reality America now faces. With record defict spending and no balanced buget in sight nations like Japan are more or less keeping the US federal government running. American exceptionalism is of a past era and in the new reality America is not number one, even Americans no longer think they are.

No doubt the past was glorious and the modern world owes America much more than most are willing to admit. Will people remember the great deeds and inventions after the seemingly inevitable fall? I hope they do but as is human nature I feel many will forget and it's more likely that only the misdeeds will be remembered.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

It sounds to me as though he was attempting to show an appreciation for the culture but was not well informed on how to do it. I'm no Obama fan but it just sounds to me as though he just botched it, not that he was intentionally showing weakness or submission. I'd liken it to a batter without timing or adequate hand-eye coordination. He knows what he's supposed to do(Swing the bat and hit the ball) but it doesn't turn out the way he expects it to when his time comes.

So Obama botched something as simple as a bow, when millions of visitors does it right, and you STILL TRUST this man to lead a NATION?

What makes you think he won't botch the health care reform, the foreign policy, and the whole she-bang?

He botched it all right, all of it.

The Japanese themselves are embarrassed and refuse to watch this clip, I AM embarrassed and had to turn away every time it's played. Again, those of you who think it's just a sign of respect, well, I guess now I know whey Japanese thinks foreigners are crude and rude, because you have ZERO idea about the subtlety and nuance of asian culture.

Obaka, a new term for the tool of a prez, embarrasses his host country, and even perceived as mocking the culture when he does things like this.

Incompetent study even at such matter, he proved once again, he is just an empty suit.

Get this clown and his draq-queen-wife out of USA and to where they belong; Cuba, China, or Kenya. IF those countries even want them there ruining and apologizing on behalf of citizens there to the rest of the world.

I leave you with a chinese proverb: "The most dangerous person is a naive person with the best intention."

edited for spelling.
[edit on 16-11-2009 by 317258186]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by 317258186

So Obama botched something as simple as a bow, when millions of visitors does it right, and you STILL TRUST this man to lead a NATION?

What makes you think he won't botch the health care reform, the foreign policy, and the whole she-bang?

He botched it all right, all of it.

The Japanese themselves are embarrassed and refuse to watch this clip, I AM embarrassed and had to turn away every time it's played. Again, those of you who think it's just a sign of respect, well, I guess now I know whey Japanese thinks foreigners are crude and rude, because you have ZERO idea about the subtlety and nuance of asian culture.

Obaka, a new term for the tool of a prez, embarrasses his host country, and even perceived as mocking the culture when he does things like this.

Incompetent study even at such matter, he proved once again, he is just an empty suit.

Get this clown and his draq-queen-wife out of USA and to where they belong; Cuba, China, or Kenya. IF those countries even want them there ruining and apologizing on behalf of citizens there to the rest of the world.

I leave you with a chinese proverb: "The most dangerous person is a naive person with the best intention."

edited for spelling.

Where did I say I trusted him? I didn't vote for him and it was only the second time I've not voted democrat for president in 32 years.

"Millions of visitors does it right?" Without evidence of millions of visitors executing the bow properly, I'd say that's somewhat sensationalistic. I wouldn't be surprised that for every visitor that gets it right, there's another who doesn't. While a president should be held to a higher standard, he's already embarrassed this country in the short time he's been in office, therefore I don't expect much from him and it just doesn't surprise or upset me. I doubt this will be the last time he embarrasses this country but I still don't believe he was intentionally trying to convey inferiority. That was my point in saying he botched it.

Bursting into histrionics on a message board over it surely won't accomplish anything. Vote these people out of office when the time comes, that's the only answer. Don't listen to the rhetoric they spout and research what they've done in their careers, what they stand for and make your decisions according to what best suits your way of thinking. Unfortunately, once they're in you have to live with the choice that has been made until a change can be made.

That goes for both democrats, independents and republicans. It's long overdue that people quit voting based on the letter next to a candidate's name or a perception of who or what they represent.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

japanese.about.com...

Ojigi (bowing) is an essential part of Japanese daily life. People bow when saying hello, thanking someone, apologizing, saying good-bye and introducing themselves. Although shaking hands (akushu) has become accepted as a form of greeting, many Japanese still are not used to it.

Shaking hands is rare among non-westernized Japanese, who usually do not engage in physical contact when greeting someone.

I wonder if Japan has an idiot parade railing into the emperror for actually engaging the American President in a handshake?

Or is it only in the USA where hacks take pride in their cultural ignorance and expect their leaders to show cultural disdain for the rest of the world?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Again, Japan, China, Korea all have traditions and basic BUT strict ways of observing public courtesy gestures. A BOW HAS MANY LEVELS. A shallow bow, a medium bow, and a DEEP BOW like what Obaka has done.

Respect can be shown in simple and DIGNIFIED way without the possibility of being misconstrued as GROVELLING by, yes a shallow bow or a handshake. But that's not what he has done is it?

Next time you greet a Japanese, why don't you give him a deep bow, practice what you preach, hypocrites.

And just for laughs, Ramirez, a 2 time Pulitzer prize winner cartoonist for the investors daily.

Obaka...

Source:
www1.ibdcd.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by 317258186
Respect can be shown in simple and DIGNIFIED way without the possibility of being misconstrued as GROVELLING by, yes a shallow bow or a handshake. But that's not what he has done is it?

Next time you greet a Japanese, why don't you give him a deep bow, practice what you preach, hypocrites.

You are speaking ignorance as if you are not.

I have studied Japanese culture and history extensively in college and almost majored in Asian studies. I have studied in the martial arts for decades...Obama's bow was appropriate and frankly anything less when meeting the Emperror of Japan would have been construed as flat out insulting....the equivelant of the Emperror refusing to shake his hand.

IGNORANCE...For efs sake, a Japanese Samurai would offer a full down on your knees, face on the ground bow to a dignified opponent before standing up and chopping off his head....respect is not grovelling.....just so much prideful stupidity in this country.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I've tried to see it from both points of view and I just can't make the "looking weak" argument stick. I really think Obama either did this as a sign of respect or he was seriously kissing butt because he wanted something. But what U.S. president hasn't done the very thing at some point with a foreign official?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   

you are completely right.
Obama is this and that blah,blah, but he has manners. and i respect him gor that.
first US president that isn't hillbilly after long time

yeah, the first ghetto one if we want to indulge in silly uncle tommery

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
So those diplomats in the late 1800's when we first tried to open up diplomatic relations with Japan wouldn't have done the same thing. I don't see anything wrong with this it's just respect. Has anyone ever been in a dojo. Has anyone seen "The Last Samurai" or the "Barbarian and the Geisha" or the "Shogun" miniseries. It's just respect for the culture and for diplomacy. Trivia question. Guess who the actor was on "The Barbarian and the Geisha" Hint. Red States and the Republican party revere the man. or look it up on Wikipedia.

[edit on 20-11-2009 by theEXxman]

[edit on 20-11-2009 by theEXxman]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

Does this matter ? Does this bother anyone to have there leader bowing to Royalty ? Is this , the bowing president , the only president that has bowed to royalty while holding office , or were there others that have done so but nothing was made of it ?

I could be wrong but I think I can remember Presidents bowing to the Pope on occasion , no ?

latimesblogs.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Every President who has done anything that looked like a bow has been criticized, and rightly so!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Thanks for the post. Although, I don't think there is anything wrong with the way the pres. bowed. He may have overdone it, but I suspect the Japanese are used to that when dealing with foreigners. Also, the emperor doesn't seem to mind either judging by the smile on his face.

What will be really interesting is their next meeting... Will Obama repeat this "bow heard around the world", or will he scale it down a bit...

I mean, he has advisors to tell him how to bow doesn't he? I thought the president had protocol lessons before venturing out into the world... I could be wrong... I'm not American, so I can't say for sure.

Anyway, interesting, but I wouldn't be too hard on the guy. I don't think he 'shamed' America at all, or appears to be grovelling... He didn't hang his head for more then a brief second afterall... I could see if he bowed, stayed there until encouraged to stand back up... That would be kinda embarrassing...

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
My teacher is asian and took classes about it and why it's such a big deal is this: HE was saying WE'RE SUBMITING TO YOU in that bow. The are of equal stature they both rule a country so neither of them should be bowing, or both at about the same angle. Neither Should be going as obama. That is why it's all sorts of Bad. Also This is all proper etiquette here: library.thinkquest.org...

[edit on 5-12-2009 by Staatsman]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Staatsman

I also had an Asian teacher once. He could not pronounce the letter "E" correctly. He always pronounced it as the letter "I". So when he would try to say "sheet", it sounded like "sh!t".

Every Chemistry lab, he would go over the experiment of the day, and it was every bit the international experience when he said "look at this sh!t right here", pointing to the page he was on. It was hard to contain the laughter, and from that day forward I knew that people from other countries were as full of crap as we are.

In other words, your argument that Obama was submitting to an Asian because he bowed lower than normal doesn't mean anything.

What do you think they will do? Attack Pearl Harbor again? I don't think they have that in mind. Maybe they will see this gesture in a positive way.

No, we can't think that.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

its true,
in my country, its perfectly normal to bow, everyone bows to everyone, i guess its like shaking hands in the west to some extent, its sad that americans see it as a sign of subordination, because its not, thats just a cultural misinterpretation, hes just showing a common sign of respect to the monarch of one of america's closest allies in asia, end of story.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join