It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How low will he go? Obama gives Japan's Emperor Akihito a wow bow (Updated with video, pic)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Welcome to planet earth!

Divide and Conquer!

It's all a sham. O'how the media will do just about anything to stir sh*t up to divide civilisation

I gotta hand it to em tho, it's working... even on this forum

Pitiful!

[edit on 15-11-2009 by Tek-Neek55]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I cant believe the amount of narrow minded responses to this thread. Saying Obama should not bow to anyone is the kind of answer I would expect from Bush!

The man was showing Traditional Courtesy according to the Country he was visiting, nothing more.

I can tell you right now that any foreign burinesses who deal with Japan try and show this respect as much as possible and it has a huge benefit for them as their respected for it by the Japs.

Obama is a man. Not a God or someone who is so high and Mighty that he does not have to respect Tradition.

Give the guy a break for being down to Earth.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I'm can't really be considered an expert but I do watch tons of Anime!!

As much as this health bill sucks I still can't blame Obama for trying to show some respect in Japan to an emperor lol. Respect is not a slight formality, like it's considered by many here in the USA, in Japan. It's a part of life over there still.

I do have to say that Obama needs to fire his Japanese relations cultural advisor tho because you are not supposed to shake hand while you bow lol. But all in all He did show an attempt of respect, even if is was in a funny way.

Izzy.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Izarith
reply to post by Max_TO

I do have to say that Obama needs to fire his Japanese relations cultural advisor tho because you are not supposed to shake hand while you bow lol. But all in all He did show an attempt of respect, even if is was in a funny way.

It's the thought that counts. Having had many business dealings with Japanese over the years, I have made a few mistakes in my attempts to be respectful to them. The Japanese understand this and would brush it off as being a silly mistake, and that the overall thought of showing respect for Japan in Japan as is required by Japanese custom is still conveyed.

[edit on 15/11/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Aw man you must have wondered why every one was giving you their business card so enthusiastically LOL.

I used to be a cab driver and I just loved getting Japanese passengers. I was in the process of learning Japanese and would always ask them if I could practice with them. They were always thriled to.

I'm a big fan of Akira Kurosawa's films and I'd always try to impersonate Mifume while speaking the little Japanese I knew to them. Ah fun times.

They are really cool people.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Here's the two cents from someone looking from the outside.

I'm not American, nor Japanese. I have no clue whatsoever about the customs in Japan or other far-off places or strange cultures. But I'll tell you what it looked like to me; someone got his leg humped real good

That might necessarily not be a bad thing. When two dogs meet, one often gets humped by the other. It's a way to ward off trouble (or to show respect, as the underdog would put it). No big deal.

[edit on 15-11-2009 by Koyaanisqatsi]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
What is wrong with an American president showing respect to other leaders? Don't get me wrong. I love my country. I just don't see what all the fuss is about. "Wow, he bowed in Japan! OMG! Japan owns teh U.S. now!" Don't we have enough real problems in this country right now without you Glenn Beck fans making crap up to cry about?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Def Youth
What is wrong with an American president showing respect to other leaders? Don't get me wrong. I love my country. I just don't see what all the fuss is about. "Wow, he bowed in Japan! OMG! Japan owns teh U.S. now!" Don't we have enough real problems in this country right now without you Glenn Beck fans making crap up to cry about?

I believe that you'll find that this is all a non-issue. The only ones who are "whining" about it are the same ones who go around finding fault in everything Obama does. They claim their viewpoint is the only patriotic one. As an American it's actually quite embarrasing. No wonder we have this meatheat stereotype.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
This is just priceless!

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I wasn't going to post, but I just realized something,

I have never bowed to anyone in my entire 60 years of life.

Insert bow,

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 103030p://bSunday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

It's not so much the bow that bothers me it's what I take as a "submissive" bow BO did, bowing with his head below the person he's bowing to.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Kryties, Obama has enough PR men, are you out of work and looking for employment?

A nod of the head is sufficient in Japanese culture to show respect.

Do you think maybe this whole thing was staged to show the world that the US has learned its lesson?

Sometimes initial response is the absolute right answer. If Obama bows like this to foreign leaders, it is showing his handlers incredible intelligence.

A sign of weakness a servility is exactly what his handlers want.

Go on a 4 year fracking tour Obama and stay the frack out of Washington. That may be the only to keep his handlers from further destroying our country.

Divide and Conquer, just more steps toward one world governance.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
How Bush does it.

How Nixon does it.

How the Emperor Akihito does it.

Someone should dig up that photo of Reagan bowing to the Queen.
Conclusion: Looks like a lot of people here bow to hypocrisy instead.

[edit on 15-11-2009 by Regenmacher]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

The Emperor in fact could have in fact had him decapitated for the insult on the spot and the only legal recourse would have been declaring war on Japan. The world is not actually one great big Wal-Mart people.

Really?

hmmmmmmmmm

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
Seriously showing respect to someone, anyone as a matter of fact could also be taken in bad light is quiet disturbing. What a sad article.

He was showing respect to the emperor. People are equating respect for weakness, that is why us americans are so hated, we don't respect anyone that doesn't look like they can beat you up. We expect other people to show deference to our societal norms.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Obama can bow down and give unzip the dude's pants with his teeth for all I care. Why this obsession with bowing down to people?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

I dont think Americans are hated, they are infact ridiculed for being stupid which this kind of thread shows in great depth.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I'm just amazed that so many people don't see the difference in a respectful bow and a submissive one. That, I believe, is the issue here. I personally don't give a rats behind if he gives other world leaders a respectful bow, but to be doubled over with his head hanging down is not respectful it's submissive. He is the leader of a country for cripes sake, other world leaders are his equals not his betters.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

The top photo is clearly a bad photo shop, and in the rest President Bush is not bowing with his head lower then the other leaders.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join