It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How low will he go? Obama gives Japan's Emperor Akihito a wow bow (Updated with video, pic)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chastral
this is really superficial. It doesnt say or mean anything. So what Obama bows to people... he is also supposedly going to force vaccinations (when he wont take one). Really, does this matter?

Yes, it does matter. I would rather have Mickey Mouse as President at this point, although I doubt ol Mickey would be more entertaining.

Would it bother you if Obama was to have given the Japanese Emperor a hummer during their meeting? Thats about how I look at what he did. Call me crazy, but dont submissive dogs bow their head? Is that what you want out representing the US to other Nations? I bet you could have knocked that Emperor over with a feather at his surprise at that gesture. There IS a reason for that. There IS a reason people are upset about it.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by treemanx
Is that what you want out representing the US to other Nations?

What "the other nations" want is for America and Americans to stop lording themselves over the world and acting like you shouldn't have to pay respect to anybody.

What "the other nations" want is to see America making an effort to rid itself of it's bully image, it's "we are better than you" claim.

What "the other nations" want is for America to stop acting as if we should all bow down to you simply because you happen to be a large nation who has successfully fought a few wars. WHOOPDIE DOO, so have we all - many WELL before the US existed, yet you don't hear us bragging about it or big-noting ourselves to get attention.

[edit on 15/11/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Whats the big deal? He's just showing the guy a little respect.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

What "the other nations" want is for America and Americans to stop lording themselves over the world and acting like you shouldn't have to pay respect to anybody.

What "the other nations" want is to see America making an effort to rid itself of it's bully image, it's "we are better than you" claim.

What "the other nations" want is for America to stop acting as if we should all bow down to you simply because you happen to be a large nation who has sucessfully fought a few wars. WHOOPDIE DOO, so have we all - many WELL before the US existed, yet you don't hear us bragging about it or bignoting ourselves to get attention.

Dang! Your right! I didnt realize it before, but since you put it THAT way, now I must hang my head in shame for the error of my thinking.

NOT

Do you think that there may be other, maybe better way to show respect to other leaders than to bow submissively? Ive never been to Australia, do you guys do a lot of *** kissing over there? Alot of bowing to make other people think you are not such a bad country? There are better ways to improve opinions of America abroad than this. This is an absolute travesty to say the least, and none of your whiny, ridiculous posts will change my view on that. Thanks for trying though!

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Inquiring Mind
Whats the big deal? He's just showing the guy a little respect.

OK, have you read any of the posts here, or are you just reading the OP and posting your opinion. Maybe flick back a few pages and do some reading, and you may find the answer to your question. Thanks!

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   

What "the other nations" want is for America to stop acting as if we should all bow down to you simply because you happen to be a large nation who has successfully fought a few wars. WHOOPDIE DOO, so have we all - many WELL before the US existed, yet you don't hear us bragging about it or big-noting ourselves to get attention.

Oh by the way, remind me where I said that I gave a crap what "the other nations want"? I DONT CARE WHAT THEY WANT! Maybe thats the point your not getting! This has nothing to do with what other nations want. This has to do with an American President bowing to other world leaders.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Do you think that there may be other, maybe better way to show respect to other leaders than to bow submissively?

There is a difference between bowing submissively and bowing respectfully. A BIG difference.

Ive never been to Australia, do you guys do a lot of *** kissing over there? Alot of bowing to make other people think you are not such a bad country?

For someone who has never been to Australia, and obviously knows nothing at all about us, you certainly do make a lot of unfounded claims.

There are better ways to improve opinions of America abroad than this. This is an absolute travesty to say the least, and none of your whiny, ridiculous posts will change my view on that. Thanks for trying though!

Riiiight.......

So the rest of the world telling you that the bow was respectful, not weak or submissive, doesn't mean anything to you? You appear to be so worried about how America is seen by the rest of the world, but when that world tells you what you should be doing to earn our respect, you turn the other cheek?

Blind patriotism at it's finest.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Oh by the way, remind me where I said that I gave a crap what "the other nations want"?

Right here.....

If you didn't care what the "other nations" thought, why the need for this sentence then?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

So now you are the "rest of the world" telling me this was a "respectful bow"? I had no idea you represented that many other people! Because I personally know ALOT of people who are VERY upset about this, and some are Japanese/ Americans! I also am a member at other forums that have discussed this at length, and Im not finding a whole bunch of people who are OK with this.

Also, your right, I have never been to Australia, and dont know much about YOU. But I did like Crocodile Dundee, and worry that you poor souls cant own guns for your own enjoyment and protection. I also know that your Country pushed the islands natural inhabitants, the Aborigines, around for quite a while. Not even giving them a voice in their own Country until like the 1970's or something.

By the way, I wasnt making assumptions, I was asking questions.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Hahaha...Remember when Dubya went to Pakistan like 6 years ago, and accidentally shook the prime ministers hand with his left hand!!

Left hand=the hand you wipe with, and also an insult in Muslim societies

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by treemanx

I know for a fact that many people agree with what I say. I was attempting to avoid this turning into an Australia vs America argument by stating "the rest of the world" as I know for a fact that many people from many nations agree with my perspective. I know this as fact because I have spoken at great length with people from all over the globe in the course of my business.

Funny though, how in your post you only see the claims that side with your perspective, leaving out the many others in this thread that do not (remember now, I am not the only one in this thread with this point-of-view).

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Oh by the way, remind me where I said that I gave a crap what "the other nations want"?

Right here.....

If you didn't care what the "other nations" thought, why the need for this sentence then?

Thats hardly a strong case for my giving two ****'s about what other Nations think.

Tell you what, your so impressed with Obamas actions? Do you really, really like him? OK, cool, you can have him. I would love nothing more for him to be the leader in your Country, than the leader in mine. Fair enough?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   

reply to post by Kryties

Also, your right, I have never been to Australia, and dont know much about YOU. But I did like Crocodile Dundee, and worry that you poor souls cant own guns for your own enjoyment and protection. I also know that your Country pushed the islands natural inhabitants, the Aborigines, around for quite a while. Not even giving them a voice in their own Country until like the 1970's or something.

I do hope you are not forming an opinion of our entire country based on three 1980's Hollywood movies

I like how you forgot to mention that our government made a formal apology to the Aboriginals, one which they accepted - and now we are doing our utmost to undo the damage our forefathers caused to them. Funny how that gets forgotten when it does not fit ones argument eh?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   

reply to post by treemanx

(remember now, I am not the only one in this thread with this point-of-view).

Neither am I friend, neither am I. I dont expect you to understand what being a proud American is. Even though I may not always agree with what we do, or the choices we make, I have much more than that to be proud of. I enjoy freedoms that you likely never will. My family and extended American family has shed blood on distant battlefields for other humans to be free, and for my freedom.

While you, an Aussie, may look at the American Flag and see all the things you dont like about America, I look at it and see all the things I do. And if other Nations dont feel that way also, then p**s on them.

Thats what your not understanding. Its not blind patriotism at all. Ive got my eyes wide open, and still love my Country and would die any day for it.

Can you say the same..........truthfully?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

I dont expect you to understand what being a proud American is.

I understand pride in ones country. I am a proud Aussie. But the difference is I am not blinded by that pride or patriotism.

I enjoy freedoms that you likely never will.

See, this is where Americans have it SO damned wrong. I enjoy just as many freedoms as you guys (maybe not the guns but then again we aren't a nation of people who like shooting things). I can walk down the street and buy whatever I want (subject to availability of course), I can travel anywhere in my country that I choose, I can watch what I want, eat what I want, I can go and see a doctor without being lumped with a large bill and the list goes on. You guys seem to be under the impression that you are the only free country in the world. This is wrong on so many levels.

My family and extended American family has shed blood on distant battlefields for other humans to be free, and for my freedom.

As did mine, for my freedom.

While you, an Aussie, may look at the American Flag and see all the things you dont like about America, I look at it and see all the things I do. And if other Nations dont feel that way also, then p**s on them.

I look at the American flag and see two things: 1. A wish that America would stop being Worlds PoliceBully, and 2. A nation that is blinded by patriotism.

And that's a great attitude to have, if other nations don't like it then the "p@#$ on them". And you are having a hard time wondering why those same nations think you guys are bullies?

Absolutely, 100% I can. We Aussies fought just as hard for our own freedom (without your help), and yet we don't stand apart from the rest of the world and bully it just because we think we have a right to.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

I dont expect you to understand what being a proud American is.

I understand pride in ones country. I am a proud Aussie. But the difference is I am not blinded by that pride or patriotism.

I enjoy freedoms that you likely never will.

See, this is where Americans have it SO damned wrong. I enjoy just as many freedoms as you guys (maybe not the guns but then again we aren't a nation of people who like shooting things). I can walk down the street and buy whatever I want (subject to availability of course), I can travel anywhere in my country that I choose, I can watch what I want, eat what I want, I can go and see a doctor without being lumped with a large bill and the list goes on. You guys seem to be under the impression that you are the only free country in the world. This is wrong on so many levels.

My family and extended American family has shed blood on distant battlefields for other humans to be free, and for my freedom.

As did mine, for my freedom.

I look at the American flag and see two things: 1. A wish that America would stop being Worlds PoliceBully, and 2. A nation that is blinded by patriotism.

And that's a great attitude to have, if other nations don't like it then the "p@#$ on them". And you are having a hard time wondering why those same nations think you guys are bullies?

Absolutely, 100% I can. We Aussies fought just as hard for our own freedom (without your help), and yet we don't stand apart from the rest of the world and bully it just because we think we have a right to.

So you arent a Nation who likes to go around shooting things? Wow, there you go again, representing your whole Country. What about Rodney William Ansell? The real Crocodile Dundee? Was he one of those people you were talking about? I know your Country has more people like him then you might want to tell.

As far as you other points, I could easily argue them.....but why? Apparently you have your opinion, and I have mine. Too bad you and I cant have this discussion over a frosty Coors Light, but right now, I'm getting tired. I have been arguing with you, when I should have been working on other things, and it's awfully close to bed time.

Edit to remove extra "the's"

[edit on 15-11-2009 by treemanx]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   

So you arent a Nation who likes to go around shooting things? Wow, there you go again, representing your whole Country. What about Rodney William Ansell? The real Crocodile Dundee? Was he one of those people you were talking about? I know your Country has more people like him then you might want to tell.

Sure, we have people in our country who like using guns, just as in every country on Earth (with the exception of maybe Tibet for obvious reasons). I had a feeling you were going to pick me up on that point and I should have explained it a bit clearer. We have our own issues with our government about gun control, we are fighting them about it - but that's an issue between us Aussies and our Government and has nothing to do with this topic, so I didn't go into detail I just left it.

Too bad you and I cant have this discussion over a frosty Coors Light,

I prefer Victoria Bitter or Carlton Draught thanks, and if it comes to that it's my shout ok?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
are you guys done?
Can we get back to the topic?

How low will he go? Obama gives Japan's Emperor Akihito a wow bow (Updated with video, pic)

Does this matter ? Does this bother anyone to have there leader bowing to Royalty ? Is this , the bowing president , the only president that has bowed to royalty while holding office , or were there others that have done so but nothing was made of it ?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilBat

As some people in this thread would have you believe, the topic of Obama bowing to the Japanese Emperor and the topic of "America is the Greatest and should bow to nobody" are one in the same. I have simply been arguing my opinion along these lines because one topic was assimilated with the other.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join