It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How low will he go? Obama gives Japan's Emperor Akihito a wow bow (Updated with video, pic)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by HotSauce
No American President should bow to anyone. EVER!

Originally posted by Carseller4
The President of the United States of America should bow to no one.

THIS is why the rest of the world detests Americans. You wanted a reason - LOOK.

The "We bow to nobody cause we are all so damned important and full of ourselves that we shouldn't have to respect other countries THEY SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY RESPECT US" line of thought. Guess what Americans - it's that thought process that keeps the rest of the world rolling it's eyes at you.

This is, by no means, directed at ALL Americans, just the ones who think that Obama shouldn't bow to anyone cause America is the Greatest, The Best, The Bully.....oh....wait.....

This is why Americans are losing grip on our Country. You have no pride in your Country.

Now before you go and dredge up all the wrongs you think America should be held accountable for on a national and global scale, you remember a few things:

First: America has had dark times that we are not proud of, but so has EVERY other Nation in the world past or present. If you are so pessimistic as to look only at the dark times our Country has experienced, rather than all the GOOD things we have done as a Country, then shame on you. Because you are leaving out so many great, respectable contributions our Country has given to it's Nation and the rest of the world.

Second: You trample on the memory of great thinkers, scientists, AND SOLDIERS, who have contributed greatly to our Country and the world in knowledge, compassion, and protection of peoples weaker than we.

Third: One only has to think of our hero soldiers when reading your filthy disgraceful posts, who have fought and died in wars to protect your freedom to have that arrogant and pessimistic attitude.

I respect your RIGHT to have your opinion, but do NOT respect the actual opinion at all.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by HotSauce

Ahhh, the ignorance just keeps shining through.

You just don't get it do you? You know, keep this up for too much longer and you will have successfully alienated every country on Earth from you. Then you can sit there all by yourselves and talk about not bowing to each other all bloody day - and the rest of the world will leave you behind.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

You know we could pull of our troops from around the world, stop buying all of your worthless products and make our own, and be perfectly happy. If left to ourselves and not sharing our research the rest of you would be screwed.

We have knowledge in our black projects that is 20 years ahead of anything the rest of the world has. We have perfected stuff your scientist haven't even imagined yet and if they did they moved here so they could get paid.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by treemanx

This is why Americans are losing grip on our Country. You have no pride in your Country.

Ummmm....

I am Australian (as is clearly written - albeit upsidedown - under my avatar), so this assertion that I "have no pride in my country" is completely wrong and way off the mark. I am looking at this topic from a third-person perspective and giving my opinion based upon how US - THE REST OF THE WORLD - see you Americans.

Oh and the "stop having a go at us because we have suffered too" argument doesn't cut it with me - ALL countries have had their suffering in one way or another - but America stands alone with the loudest voice saying "Look at what we did, we are so damned important" and therein lies the difference.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Go learn your history mate, not just what you read on the signboard at the local supermarket.

Over here we say their face winds up on a milk carton, but who's counting.

You ausies are awesome. We apprieciate your support.

Don't worry bout this guy, you can read about him on one side or another.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce
reply to post by Kryties

You know we could pull of our troops from around the world, stop buying all of your worthless products and make our own, and be perfectly happy. If left to ourselves and not sharing our research the rest of you would be screwed.

OK, go right ahead and do that - I cannot tell you how many millions of people would be glad of this arrangement. Oh and by all means, stop buying things like Uranium off us - although you may want to find another source of nuclear material for your reactors and missiles - oh wait thats right you aren't buying from any country but your own.......

Good luck with that.

We have knowledge in our black projects that is 20 years ahead of anything the rest of the world has. We have perfected stuff your scientist haven't even imagined yet and if they did they moved here so they could get paid.

You had to hire Nazis to do most of your scientific work. Wrong again mate.

[edit on 15/11/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Ummmm....

I am Australian (as is clearly written - albeit upsidedown - under my avatar), so this assertion that I "have no pride in my country" is completely wrong and way off the mark. I am looking at this topic from a third-person perspective and giving my opinion based upon how US - THE REST OF THE WORLD - see you Americans.

Oh and the "stop having a go at us because we have suffered too" argument doesn't cut it with me - ALL countries have had their suffering in one way or another - but America stands alone with the loudest voice saying "Look at what we did, we are so damned important" and therein lies the difference.

Right. I just noticed that you arent an American, your one of those Aussies. Sounds to me like you think your more important than anything we're discussing here.

Oh, and if you were intelligent enough to ACTUALLY READ my post, and understand it, I wasnt saying "stop having a go at us because we have suffered too". Not even a little. I said LOOK AT THE GOOD CONTRIBUTIONS the US has made to the world, rather than the not so good. Oh thats right, we cant all be as perfect as "you Aussies" right?

Go wash up and hit the sack kiddo, the adults are trying to have a discussion here.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000

You ausies are awesome. We apprieciate your support.

We offer our support and friendship to anyone who asks, that's what us Aussies are about - we literally do look after our neighbours

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Right. I just noticed that you arent an American, your one of those Aussies. Sounds to me like you think your more important than anything we're discussing here.

Wrong. My intention here is to provide a third-person view on the situation, one that you seem not to be getting.

Oh, and if you were intelligent enough to ACTUALLY READ my post, and understand it, I wasnt saying "stop having a go at us because we have suffered too". Not even a little. I said LOOK AT THE GOOD CONTRIBUTIONS the US has made to the world, rather than the not so good. Oh thats right, we cant all be as perfect as "you Aussies" right?

Go wash up and hit the sack kiddo, the adults are trying to have a discussion here.

That's it? Your whole post just attacks my intelligence then asserts that I am a child? I will not even bother to respond to this disrespectful diatribe except to say ATTACK THE POST - NOT THE POSTER.

But thanks for giving us all an insight into your level of maturity.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I'm getting confused here.
Are we talking about Obama's bow or how great America is? I'm having a hard time seeing the correlation...

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon
Are we talking about Obama's bow or how great America is? I'm having a hard time seeing the correlation...

They appear to go hand in hand. If you read the whole thread you would see where the conversation diverted then assimilated with the original topic.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by xEphon

They are one in the same. Obama should not bow because America is so great. How do you seperate the two? I wouldn't even bow to the emperor of Japan, or some Shiek because I would feel like a disgrace to my country.

[edit on 15-11-2009 by HotSauce]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Wrong. My intention here is to provide a third-person view on the situation, one that you seem not to be getting.

That's it? Your whole post just attacks my intelligence then asserts that I am a child? I will not even bother to respond to this disrespectful diatribe except to say ATTACK THE POST - NOT THE POSTER.

But thanks for giving us all an insight into your level of maturity.

You know, if I gave a snip about your opinion, that may bother me a bit. Let me say, you slander the US anywhere I can read it, and youve got my hackles up.

I have no problem with Australia, you guys have been in many support roles for the US in many of the great things we have accomplished. But you, with your backward opinions and spiteful attitude, must be a great contribution to your Country. Thanks for your "insightful" contribution to this discussion. Have a nice day!

Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Sun Nov 15 2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

You are one of the reasons i don't support nationalism and patriotism...

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by 317258186
I'm sorry, as a person very familiar with asian and Japanese formalities, this is a total faux pas. Bows like what Obama has done is done not to show respect, (unlike most of you who think you know the culture), but a sign of acknowledgment of a superior. It's is both inappropriate and embarrassing.

Not to mention his actions overseas represent not only himself, but the US. I don't think I'd bow to anyone.

It's not a a bow of respect, a shallow bow would have been suffice for that, even a handshake considering Obama is a foreigner outside of the culture. Any bows in such a culture that place extreme importance in the minutest of gestures has great significance, and again, those of you who posted here thinking he is just showing due respect as a "non-hillbilly" prez is just ignorant. He has exhibited again an over-eagerness and naivete to make nice.

I am an asian American and I am freaking upset and embarrassed, Obama's bow don't represent me or any self-respecting free Americans.

What a tool.

How familiar are you?

I'm an American, but lived in Japan for 12 years. I'd expect Obama to bow to a drug store pharmacist if I thought he was doing it right!

The deeper and longer the bow, the more sign of respect is as basic as I can put it.

The emperor is NOT a government official. He is merely a symbol that the United States has LET to stay alive after Japans defeat in WWII.

As a matter of FACT, the United States Army WROTE the Japanese Constitution and ALLOWED the EMPEROR'S place to REMAIN AS A SYMBOLIC GESTURE. They could have totally disallowed the Emperor to remain as a symbol of the state!

It is FACT, that when Obama meets the Emperor of Japan, that he is meeting a MAN and not the Japanese Government, but a symbol of such with certain duties. Read the Japanese constitution.

The United States of America OVERTOOK and DEFEATED the JAPANESE GOVERNMENT in WWII.

We could have MADE IT A STATE if we wanted to.

Consider that, and then think about what that bow really means.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Polynomial C

You are one of the reasons i don't support nationalism and patriotism...

Wow thanks. Glad to know I could have such an impact on your life just by typing something on a discussion board.

I guess if Obama promises to stop bowing we could be big enough to forgive him for being an embarrassment to his fellow citizens.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by treemanx

You have completely missed my point haven't you? Totally and utterly - with a hint of absolute completion.

I can see I have your hackles up (as is evidenced by your numerous mistakes in your post - evidence that you typed it way too fast with way too much emotion), well bloody good show!!

You are letting your patriotism cloud your logic here. You are saying that Obama shouldn't have to bow to anybody. The "rest of the world" is making the point that it is a sign of respect, not weakness, to bow to the Japanese Emperor. Are you so ignorant and blindly patriotic that you do not heed the words of the rest of us who are simply trying to tell you HOW to improve your image to the world?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
this is really superficial. It doesnt say or mean anything. So what Obama bows to people... he is also supposedly going to force vaccinations (when he wont take one). Really, does this matter?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon

The appear to go hand in hand. If you read the whole thread you would see where the conversation diverted then assimilated with the original topic.

Yeah, I see that ... how unfortunate. So much for humility. Apparently, to some on here, America has no room for that in all of it's greatness. Heck, Akihito is lucky Obama didn't dethrone him on the spot and declare Japan a US territory.

[edit on 15-11-2009 by xEphon]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Do other world leaders bow to the various royal families ? Lets see if Vladimir Putin bows on his next state visit to a country lucky enough to have a royal family .

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join