It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Ways Darwin got it wrong - The Conspiracy of Evolution

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

Stop twisting the context. You have been spewing generalities about "Christians" for several pages now. Not all Christians believe exactly the same thing and not all Christian behave in the same way. Your rhetoric thus far has been very simuliar to racist rhetoric. There is variation and difference in EVERY grouping of people and the more people you add to it the more variation and difference you will see.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NatureBoy
obeying without question the rules of an out dated and violent system

Outdated rules you say? Hardly. Considering you can go down the list of Christians Ten Commandments and then with little to no effort see that several are the laws of man as well, written laws punishable in court or civil laws that we should adhere by in order to be...well...civil.

Here we go:

#1&2-(SPOOKY LANGUAGE ALERT!!!) No Gods before Me & No Idol worshiping (This is the only two of the Ten Commandments that commands obedience directly to God. I agree.)
#3-No misusing the Lords name/no swearing (not a law of man in most places I have been but just good manners.)
#4-Observe the Sabbath (God commands us to take a day off from labors! That TYRANT!!! )
#5-Respect your parents (not a rule/law punishable in court but not a bad rule. It should be followed until the parent fails to uphold their parental obligations. Agreed?)
#6-No murdering (obvious and a law we can find ourselves in the courts of man for breaking.)
#7-No adultery (while there is no jail time there as far as I know a spouse can have you in a court of man over this.)
#8-No stealing (law of man as well punishable by jail time)
#9-No false testimony/no lying (you can get in a heap of trouble with lies and if you do it in a court of man you are committing a crime)
#10- you shall not covet (which is not a crime in the courts to want what others have.)

So what I see personally is eight rules that still apply today and only two that are, as George Carlin said, SPOOKY LANGUAGE!!!

Now here is where I will try and stop posters from saying "But the Bible didn't teach us those lessons, my parents did". Ok, you got me on a technicality. But my rebuttal is this: Has every generation of your family tree dating back to the apes you claim to have evolved from been non-believers? Chances are the answer is NO.

And apologies to the thread creator for getting a tad off topic.

[edit on 15-11-2009 by ch1ldofthe70s]

[edit on 15-11-2009 by ch1ldofthe70s]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

but is that not in itself a problem for you? don't you find that the very fact all you folk who have been given the only correct answer by god don't agree sorta worrying?

so, are you now going to tell me that you DO or DON'T follow the bible? I asked you before but you forgot to mention, is it only a deist god which you prefer? what would be the point of that?

Scripture says that it is the actual word of god - the actual word of a divine infallible creator... now call me a racist or unreasonable or close minded or any of the other snide ad hom's you've been making so that you don't have actual state which god you subscribe too..... the infallible one which wants people in africa to get aids instead of wear condom? the infallible one which killed crypto-jews in inquisition after inquisition, the infallible which dictated Leviticus, Deuteronomy and the rest of that insane book?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

can you point to a religion which is always right?

No religion is always right, no doubt.
They are all inevitably twisted, used and confused by man at some point.
Thanks!

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

1) My beliefs or lack there of are not material to the conversation. Except in the capacity of yet more useless banter and proving nothing except a capacity for ad hom attack. Not that you list all the possibilities of what we would call a "god" entails, it's not just "this" or "that".

2) So long as they don't make it my problem I don't think about them period, much less worry. And I have met any number of those you decry that are vastly more tolerant than you are. I am sorry if you feel this is an attack but I am merely stating what I see.

3) I don't care what Christian scripture says.

[edit on 15-11-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

It is not a conspiracy. It is the way science works. We belived that the earth was flat for a long time. It wasn't conspiracy, but it was commen belief. We also believed the earth was the center of the universe.

Only in that last 100 years did we discover that Newton was wrong about gravity. Then comes Einstein.

When something in science is popular belief, it takes a lot to change it. It takes time.

Darwin was not necessarily right in everything, but it is a working theory. Theories need testing. It is required. If something came out that had a new theory and completely challenged Darwin, and was testable, paradigms could shift.

[edit on 15-11-2009 by s373r3d]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by s373r3d

Not everything that is accepted as "real" is testable. Just thought I would point that out. Well, practically all the ideas contained within cosmology come to mind.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by s373r3d

Not everything that is accepted as "real" is testable. Just thought I would point that out. Well, practically all the ideas contained within cosmology come to mind.

No, it is not all is testable at this point. We are working on it however. We are driven to understand and explain human existance. It does not mean that we cannot get there.

And really I believe that the more we understand, the harder it is not to believe in some kind of god/creater/alien/a being way smarter than all of us. This does not all happen by chance. Statistically I should not be able to write this and you shouldn't be here to read it.

There is so much order in the universe. It makes sense that there is something more. That does not mean that there wont be a time when we can test and understand it.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by s373r3d

Oh I said nothing about eventually. Just right now.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

And some people are in love with generalizations and thusly also avoiding thinking. Usually while accusing others of not thinking. *looks at you*

You know it is easy to see you have no dog in this fight and I have read many of your post's some I don't agree with but for the most part, we do. If I could be as seprate from my own Biased opinions as you are in this thread. You have seen the hypocricy in both sides and have stayed more objective than any so called science minded individual in this thread including me.

If anyone asks me what it is to deny ignorance, I am sending them THIS link and suggesting they read this thread.

[edit on 15-11-2009 by Kerry_Knight]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ch1ldofthe70s

#1&2- power and control, creating a monopoly - what would the fair trade, monopoly's and mergers commission or the world bank would say about that? they would say that it's illegal - universal human rights? freedom of religion?

#3-It's hardly a worthwhile law, in its place god could have denied slavery or offered equal rights for women or even maybe fair trade? yet he doesn't he wastes the space on meaningless words -freedom of speech? not on gods watch!

#4-but we live in a 24 hour world, my good friend was recently taken ill with heart trouble - the good people who drove the ambulance and performed emergency cardiovascular surgery on him will now all go to hell for the evil, evil deed they did. Sure over the years someone has edited it so that this is now legal under the laws of religion, but why didn't god mention it in his original list?

#5-Sure it's all good to respect your parents, some of the time about certain things - this is surely just another rule to add power and control, also not really a law any more is it?
#6-A great law, Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon was truly a great man when he first implemented it long before moses wrote his laws, also this was a law in Egypt and all other bronze age society - hardly takes a divine creator to suggest that killing each other is wrong! In fact to suggest that society had managed to reach the age at which moses found it while thinking killing each other was a good thing to do is down right absurd!
#7-Another silly rule, it actually means that you can only have romantic activity with someone you are married to - this is hardly in line with modern moral theory - unless you still subscribe to the old fashioned judeochristian view...
#8-again not new to moses, stealing is of course something which anyone in power is going to demand that no one takes his stuff - again hardly takes an all powerful god to create this law does it?
#9-yeah lies are often wrong, however they are often morally sensible things to do - if a nazi knocks at my door and asks if i know where any jews are hiding, what does your god want me to do?
#10- totally insane and stupid rule, i'm not aloud to want something someone else has? that means i can never hope to get anything? desire is an inbuilt human condition - why would god make us like this if we were never supposed to desire anything?

These are only a VERY SMALL amount of the rules in the bible, what about the ones which talk of how and when to beat kids, when to kill them (if they try to ask you to worship another god), how to beat your slave (not so hard he dies), why women should never speak or teach a man anything, etc, etc Leviticus and the old testament is full of this crap = the new testament is no better, thats even without all the absolute nonsense which paul added

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by s373r3d

It is not a conspiracy.

My answers for the record!

#1 Depends on how you look at it, for sure!

#2 If it's not, it sure looks like one! Sorry.
#3 Ah, you take all the fun out of it!

#4 Darwin made money on it.
#5 It was his idea that obviously worked well towards that end!
#6 Many believe it, whether it is really true or not.
#7 Many hold it in higher regards than the bible!
(a much older and more indepth book as far as that goes)
#8 It has successfully fooled millions.(if false)
#9 That continues to this day.
#10 Gave you a reason to post!
Indeed religion can be considered a conspiracy too,
but thats another thread!

Thanks!

I am glad someone finally asked about that!

Conspiracy theory is a term that originally was a neutral descriptor for any conspiracy claim. However, it has come almost exclusively to refer to any fringe theory which explains a historical or current event as the result of a secret plot by (a) conspirator(s) of almost superhuman power and cunning.[1][2]
Conspiracy theories are viewed with skepticism and often ridiculed because they are seldom supported by any conclusive evidence and contrast with institutional analysis, which focuses on people's collective behavior in publicly known institutions,(like schools) as recorded in scholarly material and mainstream media reports, to explain historical or current events, rather than speculate on the motives and actions of secretive coalitions of/or individuals.[3]

Yap, sounds about right.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daniem

Yeah and now days its the exact opposite, if they find out you are a Christian in science, they will ruin your career.

Not for being a casual christian, but if you believe a snake talked and all the unscientific stuff told in the bible, then yeah... you probably SHOULDNT be a scientist.

I can say the same thing about you listening to dawkins. He's a snake who talks about unscientific stuff too and HE's a PROFESSOR.

For those of you about to jump my case and tell me how ignorant I am saying things about something I clearly don't understand. Know that last comment, is no different than the one Daniem made and JUST as ignorant.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

These are only a VERY SMALL amount of the rules in the bible, what about the ones which talk of how and when to beat kids, when to kill them (if they try to ask you to worship another god), how to beat your slave (not so hard he dies), why women should never speak or teach a man anything, etc, etc Leviticus and the old testament is full of this crap = the new testament is no better, thats even without all the absolute nonsense which paul added

Please dont talk that way. It just ain't right!
It was awfull smelly, what if someone steps in that coming through here?

The rest of your post is great, but why did you hafta get nasty?
Was gonna give you a star! What gives?

People need rules or they just bash each other all day long until
its either time to eat, the comp crashes, or they kill each other.

I take it you read it then.
I think you're taking a thing or two out of context here.
Apparently you missed something in the translation....
If you want to specify the verse you're talking about we can look at it.
www.biblegateway.com...

[edit on 15-11-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kerry_Knight

Originally posted by Angus123

Humans and chimps are so similar they share all but one chromosome and can donate blood back and forth. The bones in a whales fins are identical to the bones in the human hand. I could go on and on.

The "bones" in whale fins? I thought that was cartelege?

Humans have 46 chromosomes chimps 48 and I wouldnt go swapping blood with them if I were you. www.jimmunol.org...

But you would only say "so" and I would only get a headache. You need your religio-crutch, and I'm content to let you hobble around with it.

What is with all this crap about my religious this or that? Have I once talked scripture with you ? Have I once tried to convert anyone?

Can you not discuss science without bringing up peoples effing religions! Jeez man get over it, I don't GO to church, GOT it? I'm not pushing no bible down your throat so knock it off

[edit on 15-11-2009 by Kerry_Knight]

Your claims belie your motives and you know it.
You don't need to go to church. You're pushing an angle and it's obvious.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

if you aren't willing to have an opinion how are you going to attack everyone else? If you don't subscribe to the scripture then you don't think god told us how he made life, why can't you subscribe to the concept god used evolution to make humanity like modern Judaism or more sensible brands of christian worship?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Angus123

Who cares if he is?
Who cares if anyone is?
We can choose to blindly follow someone or not.

Attack the topic, not each other.
I know it is tempting.
Lord knows, I'm guilty of it too sometimes.
Do you believe in a creator? Why? Why not?
Do you think Darwin is loony?
Why are you here? Who put you here?(if anyone)
I know, an internet service provider!

Thank you everyone.

[edit on 15-11-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Um, I have an opinion thank you very much. But I feel it is immaterial to the conversation and I don't let it rule me or my perception. You should try it sometime. But I do warn you it isn't as "safe" to live this way. The lines aren't so distinct.

[edit on 15-11-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

#8 His theory of human beings evolving from apes.

I stopped reading after that... you obviously don't know anything about the Theory of Evolution.

Don't create false statements and then attempt to debunk them... try debunking what the theory ACTUALLY states.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

reply to post by s373r3d

Oh I said nothing about eventually. Just right now.

Yes yes. I just wanted to say it. Just because it isn't accepted or understood now doesn't mean it wont be in the future.

We will just have to make due with what we have. I think we all wish to understand the universe and our existence. That is why religion and science are so popular, and clash so badly. They are selling different explanations for the same thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join