It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just got back from the 2012 movie (SPOILER ALERT)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I thought it was a great movie, I guess the critics disagree with me (37% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes), but I didn't find it that cheesy at all.

The movie starts in 2009 with this Indian scientist discovering solar neutrinos baking the core of the Earth like a microwave, causing the crust to shift and break apart. The government is briefed, and decides to keep it a secret until the last moment.

The disaster begins in summer 2012, when Yellowstone blows up while John Cusack's character is taking his kids there for vacation. They go back to California, which soon crumbles into the sea, and they narrowly escape on a private plane driven by his ex-wife's boyfriend.

India, the United States, Asia, and Europe are destroyed by earthquakes and tsunamis. Wisconsin becomes the South Pole, so I'd assume North America becomes the new Antarctica, and Africa is the only continent that is spared, as it rises thousands of feet.

The people saved by the arks in the Himalayas are transported to South Africa where they start civilization anew.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

I attended the early 10:00am showing Friday. The theater was full for a morning showing. a little unusual for a morning showing. Looks good for the bottom line. I enjoyed the special effects, although some of the plot gets a little cheesy. Special effect worth the ticket price.
This is one movie that needs to be seen on the big screen.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
After seeing the 5 minute movie piece that was thrown on the internet a while back, and seeing the limo out running the falling earth I thought to myself that this movie is going to be ridiculous. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure the effects may have been good, but from the sounds of it, it more than likely was just a stupid movie... but I guess I'll have a more sound argument after seeing it. I'll let you all know when I do.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I saw it last night.

I'm not proud to say that.

Its both cheesy and is NOTHING like we would want/hope/expect.

To sum it all up:

You follow this dude and his two kids, ex-wife and her new husband as huge cracks open up and the Earth falls into the ocean.

You are either rich and connected enough to 'have a ticket' or not. If you are, you get alerted to go to your aircraft and you get to live.

If not, you stay on the ground and die.

SUCKED huge one-eyed wonder worms!

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I actually liked it. I did think there was a lot of cliché and it was predictable. But the CGI was great! It was definitely not as good as other disaster movies such as "The Day After Tomorrow". It kind of felt like they were combining two movies together such as "Titanic/Poseidon" and "The Day After Tomorrow". You kind of wished that some characters died at certain points, but they lived and the ones you didnt want to die did. It was overall a good movie if they didn't make it drag on so long.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Funny how they didnt build the movie on the ancient prediction of Nibiru passing causing all these changes on Earth. Instead they make up a story about solar neutrinos cooking the Earth. OK. Lets not get too close to the truth.

You only need to check back in history to see that there has been great civilizations wiped out again and again. I think its because our sun is a binary star and Nibiru is coming back every 3600 years.

[edit on 14-11-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Little One

What do you expect its a Roland Emmerich film the only good movie he did was Independence Day which is the only thing I watch on July Fourth. Actually saw a clip at comic-con a couple months back it looks really ridiculous and I am going to watch it because of John Cussack and Woody Harrelson. Sorry for any misspelling but I'm too lazy to look up the correct spelling.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Saw the movie last night also. Nor surprisingly it was an older crown mostly couples in their 30-'s -50's there. Even saw our pastor. Would like to know his take on it later. The special effects were good and there were a couple of good moments when I felt they could have expanded a bit more on the prophecies instead of all the technical science stuff. I think it would have had a more real world make you think type of effect if they had done that intead of glossing over that part. Still glad I went to see it. Overall ok.

Just curious did anyone else catch the faith references both with the monk speaking about emptying our cup so that we can be filled and also towards the end when the guy is injured and they say do not lose faith my brother and the scene shifts to what he is looking at above through the grate and it is a lamb (possible reference to Jesus)? Would like to watch again when it comes out on DVD to see any other spiritual or other real world references. Also in the RV with the radio guy the reference to all the dead people and news articles would like to zoom on any and see if they reference real world events. Also in the RV it show a book he was reading couldn't quite make out but it looked like the title was Your Immortal Reality or something. Like to hear what others may have seen that I missed.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I saw it last night also. I agree the special effects were very good, but it was a little over the top with both the limo and planes sequences just barely avoiding the devestastion going on around them. I also thought the scenes where the Vatican collapsed killing the Pope/Cardinals/praying Catholics was interesting as he was almost indicting the ritualistic/materialistic (ornate churches, etc.) aspects of religion. In stark contrast was the more simplistic scene with the Tibetian monk on the mountain dying by himself in the tsunami.

The theatre was @ 90% full, so if this is any indication he should recoup most of the $200 mm it took to make the movie.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Thanks for the spoiler. I was never going to see this crap-marketed fear-tactic within this lifetime anyways.

Did they have little food pellets at the door where you simply paw at a tube and they fall into your lap? Or did they just sell popcorn?

ALL HAIL HOLY WOOD!

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
i saw it today and thought it was really good. i dont believe in the 2012 theory but its interesting. some parts were so cheesy/hilarious me and my friend were like cracking up. like the 2012 animation thing, the supermarket part, and the "fly birdies fly" part. haha

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I just saw the movie, Lots of suspense, I through it was quite good, worth watching on the big screen. They had some good actors, I guess that and the special effects were great. Not a bad story either.

The story line is believable, as many scientists have said that the Earth Polls have not been in the same place as they are now, we have proof of that. The only difference between scientist is some say that action happens over Hundreds and thousands of years and this movie makes them happen quickly, so say other scientists who say that’s what cause the Dinosaurs to die off.

All being said plenty action and worth watching.

[edit on 14-11-2009 by SharkBait]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricNarwhal
i saw it today and thought it was really good. i dont believe in the 2012 theory but its interesting. some parts were so cheesy/hilarious me and my friend were like cracking up. like the 2012 animation thing, the supermarket part, and the "fly birdies fly" part. haha

that animation was HILARIOUS!!
i don't think it was meant to be anything BUT cheesy.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Hi, Mr Mask

Originally posted by Mr Mask
I was never going to see this crap-marketed fear-tactic within this lifetime anyways.

Good for us.

I don't go see those doom & gloom films anymore ! !
I now HATE negativity ! It engenders/generates/breeds/ more of it !

2 film I will rent are: **Powder**, and **existenz**.

Blue skies.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Cliche ridden film.

1. Hero recently divorced from wife - Catastrphe brings them closer together (similar to Jeff Goldblum in independence day)

2. Hero escapes death with only millimetres to spare on several occasions (similar to Will Smith in independence day)

3. Flimsy unbelievable plot that relies upon special effects alone at the expense of any real story. (similar to independence day)

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Corneilius

What do you expect its a Roland Emmerich film the only good movie he did was Independence Day which is the only thing I watch on July Fourth.

I don't agree. Emmerich's best movie...by far in my opinion...was "The Patriot" with Mel Gibson. Awesome movie which revolves around the Revolutionary War and how families are destroyed by it.

On topic:

I watched 2012 last night. I liked it. Was it everything you'd picture the end of the world to be? No....as everyone sees things differently. The special effects were top notch to say the least...the acting was fine and believable..although definitely not deep. I didn't care for the ark stuff either...but some of the things in the movie I think would really happen.

Elites would get the first tickets to any safety, we all know that...which is what happens in this movie.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The movie seemed as if to have one message.."be rich and survive, anyone else will die".
The movie was bull#.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask
Thanks for the spoiler. I was never going to see this crap-marketed fear-tactic within this lifetime anyways.

Did they have little food pellets at the door where you simply paw at a tube and they fall into your lap? Or did they just sell popcorn?

ALL HAIL HOLY WOOD!

... I actually though people would stop believing in the whole 2012 Apocalypse by watching this movie. At the end, its Hollywood. I really though people stopped believing in the things that appear in the movies.

I don't believe in the whole 2012 Apocalypse myself, but I loved that movie. Watched it twice in the theaters. It glues me to my sit and I end up eating my nails to a whole new level.

[edit on 28-11-2009 by Cricious]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
One thing that I thought was wrong was the arks. When the stern gate on ark 4 was closed the engines were started so the ark will miss striking the mountain. During that scene you see smoke rising from the exhaust stacks of the ship. A conventional power plant would be impractial for a ship that size. You would think a nuclear power plant would be written into the script.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I thought it was a ridiculous movie from the very start to the end. It was predictable, stupid, repetitive and overdrawn. It seemed like a very long pardoy to me, but apparently it was not suppose to be. I ended up laughing during the disaster sequences and the emotional sequences, especially the speeches by Obama. They should have drawn a halo around his head, it wouldn't have made the whole enterprise anymore ridiculous, as it had already reached levels never seen before in a mega-budget Hollywood blockbuster.

I did not like the special effects at all, because they actually looked like special effects. It looked like actors(speaking bad dialogue) cast in a virtual world, and the destruction I could see was destruction of a virtual world, and not the actual world. Most of the time I could see their obvious CGI-ness, and sometimes it was very obvious. The movie, "Knowing" had far better special effects and destruction sequences in my opinion, and I actually cared about the world in that movie.

I think 2012 has basically taken the IQ level of cinema intelligence down even further and if this is a sign of future cinema, it cannot be a good thing at all. The movie is a disaster in filmmaking itself. Maybe this is what the Mayans foresaw?

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Indigo_Child]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join