It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Fire All Civil Servants, Replacing Them With Obama Loyalists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

John Berry, President Obama’s director of the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM), has issued a new directive that is clearly designed to weed out any Bush administration political appointees who “careered-into” the civil service.

Tapscott explains that this Berry fellow has altered the rules to make it likely that Bush appointees will not be “approved” by OPM and that leaves their positions open for Obama to fill with his supporters and friends. Sure it’s a Sovietesquesystem that Obama wants to institute. Sure it’s a disruption of government and a complete slap in the face to honest civil servants that have spent decades in their jobs.

www.stoptheaclu.com...

the original source;www.washingtonexaminer.com... stablishes-new-political-test-for-career-jobs-69858442.html

RedState.com's Erick Erickson also sees an Obama effort to purge the federal government's workforce of all Bush political appointees and former Republican staffers from Congress. Erick notes that "no one is allowed to stand in the way of Barack Obama’s agenda, including his own bureaucracy. This is what happens in third world kleptocracies and totalitarian regimes." As Erick adds, "this is scary stuff."

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
dont all presidents tend to get rid of as many people from previous administrations as possible? how is this new? if its not new, then this is pretty much a moot thread unless you want to discuss the actin general.

also could you supply a news article as opposed to what appears to be a link to a blog or opinion piece?

[edit on 13-11-2009 by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

there is a link to the Washington post .Hello Mcfly,and if you actually read it you will see this isn't a couple of interns

The directive also effectively establishes a partisan political factor in hiring for career civil service positions in the federal bureaucracy. Berry's agency oversees the federal government's 1.9 million career civil servants

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Is this like the way Bush did it? Having karl rove overseeing a very similar procedure? Also the title says fire, but what you quote sounds like simply not renewing a contract.

This has been going on since nixon has it not?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

The OPM was created during the Carter administration to replace the old Civil Service Commission, which was once headed by Teddy Roosevelt in his pre-White House days. The career service was intended to end the spoils system in which federal jobs were used by presidents to reward supporters.

In other words, if you worked for President Bush in the executive branch at any time during his second term in the White House, you may not be approved. The same applies if you worked for a Republican Member of Congress at any point during the past five years.

But by introducing a time factor that may disqualify an individual, Berry effectively creates a semi-covert political factor in the hiring process.

I believe this part is new.Also I guess these would be jobs created not saved

[edit on 13-11-2009 by genius/idoit]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

there is a link to the Washington post .Hello Mcfly,and if you actually read it you will see this isn't a couple of interns

The directive also effectively establishes a partisan political factor in hiring for career civil service positions in the federal bureaucracy. Berry's agency oversees the federal government's 1.9 million career civil servants

The link to the Washington Post story isn't working.

Maybe TPTB are blocking my computer...

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

theres a link to the washington examiner you provided, but it doesnt work. or at least didnt for me.

(and ps even in the link the words "opinion" and "blog" appear. so thats still an opinion piece)

In fact, federal agencies have long been required to secure OPM approval before filling a career position with an individual who came into the federal government as either an executive branch political appointee or a congressional staff member. And career Senior Executive Service (SES) employees at OPM have always been involved in the agency's review of such proposed hires.

So Berry is literally saying nothing new while presenting it as if it is new.

i went to the link provided on stoptheaclu.com

it seems that theres nothing new except a time limit on nominations.

which WOULD prevent people from the bush admin from getting nominated.

But in the next presidency it would prevent people from the obama admin. to get nominated too.

...his [Barry's] directive that political appointees cannot be barred from career positions because of their political views. The whole point of the career service, after all, is to insure that federal workers are hired on the basis of merit, not their political views.

it doesnt seem to really discriminate on politics to me.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Sorry about the link I can't seem to fix it but when it goes to oops link broken page click on the option

inion blogs beltway confidential Obama weed out Bush political appointees care ered

then click the first link on the page.
You may be right but the way I read it ,it is nefarious.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Oh, this should be fun to watch. President Bush caught all kinds if flack for getting rid of the lawyers from the previous administration (which was his right) . Let's see if ole BO catches any heat for doing this. Seriously doubt it.

top topics

join