It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Switching denominations.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Okay I finally got fed up with the Southern Baptist Church a few months ago. Now I've been going to a United Methodist Church. I've gone 3 times so far and really like it. They play a mix of traditional hymns and Christian rock music. It offers variety and is a breath of fresh air compared to Baptist. I got tired of the fire and brimstone every week, that and the Baptist pastor used fear to keep people in his church and also fear mongered people into believing in Christ. He said one time that God will cripple people to get their attention! WTF man. It was a pretty messed up place.

The Methodist church is polar opposite. They present the Gospel in a loving and caring way and they don't get on your case. It's nice.

So what are your thoughts? Has anyone switched denominations out of discontent?

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Just so you know, the church Jesus is talking about in the bible isn't a physical building or any kind of denomination. The real church is within a person, and is built on wisdom and knowledge. You don't really need a church in the manner you are seeking.

My grandma was Methodist, and I went to church with her a few times when I was a kid. They were pretty mellow really, and really nice people. I don't know if it's because the area was so rural(it was half a mile walk to my grandmas mailbox) or what, but I can honestly say they were very down to earth people, and not a bunch of judgmental people like you see alot of times.

My grandma was always going to gospels and such, she loved them.

I sampled alot of churches as a teen, going with friends and such. In terms of how nice people are in general, another church I found with nice people was the Church of Christ. They were really nice people, and I have the utmost respect for those I knew in that church. The kind of people you never heard even a cus word out of. And so much so, that I(a bit of a hoodlum back then, i was hustling the streets at 16) would watch my mouth around them out of respect. I would hang out with them a good bit when I was trying to stay outta trouble. And even though I was not like them, they were never anything but polite and such. I'll probably always remember them, because I have traveled the US and never meet anyone like them anywhere else. I really can't say enough good things about them, and these were teens, not grown adults.

I don't know if it's just that 1 church or what, but if I was going to think about going to church, I would give those 2 my first look. I went to many many different kinds of churches growing up, pretty much all the major ones in the south(except catholic, but it's not really major there), and those 2 stood out to me.

But I have no real idea on what their actual beliefs are. But judging by their fruits, I'd say they were good. They certainly focused alot more on Jesus rather than telling everyone they are going to hell.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Oh. I've never actually meet anyone from a gnostic church, but in terms of beliefs I find they seem to have good understanding. I would also give them a look if I were going to look for a church, but I have no idea what they are really like. They would probably be a little harder to find however.

But they are more about gaining understanding and knowledge of the things Jesus say, and IMO they get things that the other denominations have no clue of.

As they are more about following the life of Jesus and the understanding, I would be shocked if they were not good people. I think that is the big difference between churches, how much they focus on following the example of Jesus. The more they do that, then the better they seem IMO.

Google Video Link

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I believe that any time people get together and discuss faith, scripture and prophecy that in itself is church. I don't believe it is a building. Why are these million dollar "church" buildings being built when there is so much poverty in the world?

I have gone to Baptist, Church of Christ and Catholic churches. I am not that knowledgeable about Catholic catechism and such but I know that this church helped people in financial need.

Personally, I like to just get with family members and have our own church time. That way, we can always get our 2 cents in and learn from each other.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

I switched to a non-denominational church from a Reformed Presbyterian church. I don't agree with amilinialism, infant baptism, or Calvin's T.U.L.I.P. doctrine which they teach. I also didn't like the idea that they use the "Westminster Confession of Faith" and the "Larger and Smaller Catechisms".

The Bible is the only authority in my walk with the Lord.

new topics

top topics

join