It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Toothpaste cause Cavities?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Not the flouridation issue, I'm talking about toothpaste here.

A friend, educated, knowledge-worker (in the Dilbert tradition) tells me all about the additives in toothpaste, to keep it from ever rotting or growing mold, etc.

He swears that toothpaste causes cavities. Since he left home in high-school, he only brushes with a brush and water; once a week with baking soda, moistened on the brush.

He has only had 3 fillings in his whole life, and those were from before he quit using toothpaste.

Definitely, this cat is into his own groove: doesn't eat sweets unless homemade. Never uses beet sugar. Doesn't drink caffiene or soda (he calls 'sugar water'). Only drinks water, beer and whiskey.

Anybody else have experience with this viewpoint?

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I know this guy, a relative from work, who is a real conspiracy nuts, and he is absolutly sure that there's additive in the tooth paste that turns people into mindless sheeps.

But to me, he always been one old crazy git.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Clearly his other dietary choices have a significant impact here. Are there additives in toothpaste to make it last longer? yes. Do they cause cavities? I assure you, no.

Proper brushing with toothpaste (although baking soda and water is a good replacement) and flossing WILL prevent tooth decay.

It is much more likely that people are lazy and don't do the above properly.

Also, the new flavours of toothpaste have caused a new phenomenon. Many people, rather than brushing properly, only brush until they have the toothpaste taste in their mouth...they feel that once their mouth tastes "fresh" they are done. This has led to an increase in improper brushing...I believe I saw this on the discovery channel (daily planet?)...can't recall exactly though.

Peace,
Lukefj

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
i brush my teeth two, sometimes three times a day. how many cavities have i had? none at all... and i just buy whatever toothepaste is on sale, so whatever i'm using varies.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I doubt it to be fair, all dentists tell you to brush, right? They can't alll be wrong.

And as for your friend, well
1) I'm guessing when he gave up toothpaste, he probably gave up sugar too.
2) Bakingsoda is actually very good for your teeth, so he is actually using a natural alternative, which is fine, but doesn't mean toothpaste causes cavities.
Arm & Hammer toothpaste, I looked it up, boy, haven't seen those adverts in YEARS.

Baking Soda - Arm & Hammer

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
in a recent study I am doing...on fibromyalgia....I learned that any MINT type toothpaste would cause the medications taken for fibromyalgia to NOT work.( a byproduct in MINT counteracts the medication) They are saying you need to purchase Non Mint tooth products, like kid flavored stuff grape, or bubblegum.....No listerine...no altoids...NO mint gums.
I just THOUGHT this related besause of the toothpaste factor.
I dont know about any toothpaste CAUSING decay.....but the fact of non proper brushing, because you THINK your teeth MUST be clean cuz there is a fresh taste in your mouth makes sense.......alot of sense! in fact I am going to point this out to my son when he gets home from school......

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
RiverGoddess, you say the medication taken FOR Fibromyalgia, my mother has it, and there is no medication to be taken for this other than pain killers (Steriods etc.) is this what you're refering to?

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: dr_strangecraft

I am a living example of this. For years I took great care of my teeth, brushed at least twice a day, used mouthwash, flossed like crazy. It never made any sense that I got 2x the cavities of everyone else. I started to research and wanted to try different things. I tried natural toothpaste, no difference. I tried drinking soda and juices from straws, no difference. I finally stopped regular toothpaste all together and just brushed with warm water. My most recent check up, NO cavities and no tartar. I think that regular toothpaste is too abrasive and over time actually makes you more prone. Nothing else changed, so at least for me this worked great!

posted on Feb, 25 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: dr_strangecraft

Myself, I have fibromyalgia and my immune system is attacking my body. Also too, when I was pregnant I had listeria sepsis and spent the entire pregnancy throwing up. My taste buds are off as well. I DESPISE brushing my teeth because it tastes like I'm brushing my mouth with soap. It's disgusting! I'll do it, but it's nasty! Even that cinnamon crappy toothpaste. Because of all the vomiting during my pregnancy (at least 6 times a day), according my dentist I have the teeth of a severe bulimic. And because of my body destroying itself, I now need new teeth. Since I've been on so many medications due to neuropathy and fibro, I cannot use Novocain anymore, so now I need sedation dentistry. I was going to have it all done in one shot last month, but then I had to move. Now I have a new neighbor who drives and can watch my dog, so hopefully I can reschedule things. I tried to get this done 15 years ago before it got this severe, but my ex refused to drive the distance when we were married, and it's not like I could drive after being sedated.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Tooth brushing alone will not prevent cavities, but it can help keep your mouth feel clean. It is also wise to keep your mouth clean if you are suffering from tooth decay or cavities. While it will not stop cavities, cleaning the teeth will help change the environment in your mouth and may slow down tooth decay. Well, if you do research on Fluoride, you will see that it has actually been proven to have no health benefits and is actually toxic. It doesn't really help teeth as far as I'm concerned.

top topics

join