It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mutation gave humans Speech, Are Chimps NEXT?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Tiny mutation led to human speech

www.cosmosmagazine.com/news

PARIS: Two minute evolutionary changes in a gene that is otherwise identical in humans and chimps could explain why we have fully fledged power of speech while other primates do not.

The findings may also point to new drug targets for hard-to-treat diseases that disrupt speech, such as schizophrenia and autism, said a study detailed in the British journal Nature today.
(visit the link for the full news article)

This is very interesting to me. I think it is fairly old news, but I didn't see it posted. Also, imagine what they could do to chimps. I think they could duplicate this mutation in a chimp and give that species the power of speech.

That is actually scary... Planet of the Apes

Can't say I wouldn't be excited, though

[edit on 13-11-2009 by OrphenFire]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Science advances at a very rapid pace. Although, i have another theory on this. What if the founding fathers of the human race just reprogrammed the DNA using prehistoric humans that had mostly animal instincts. That may explain the "missing link" in human evolution.
Just a thought...

Edit to add: i'm sure that in about 200 or 300 years, scientists will become masters of genetics and will be able to do such wonders...

Here another link about your story.

[edit on 13-11-2009 by lagenese]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by lagenese

And it advances at an exponential rate, too. IE one discovery yields a hundred "daughter discoveries" which exponentially advance the field of science.

new topics

join