It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Hoagland b.s.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
A couple of ATS Aliens and UFOs forum members have assailed me because I've been highly critical of some of Richard C. Hoagland's claims. As is my style, I always provide irrefutable evidence to support what I say. Frankly, I'll admit - although not the first time I've done so - that I do have a sort-of "vendetta" against Hoagland. I can't stand people such as him that depend on the gullible to give him a comfortable life, constantly on public view because he has an ego that requires lowering himself to the basest of levels. If it wasn't for the gullible, people such as Hoagland wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

If you go to the website promoting "SECRETS! Conference 2009" at:
www.chetsnow.com... you'll find his face and the following claim: "In 1993 he was awarded the Angstrom Medal for Excellence in Science from Sweden for his trail-blazing research into the Cydonia region of Mars."

This claim was exposed many years ago and you can find many websites setting you straight. I've supplied a couple, below. You can read the whole enchilada at each website. If you want more, just google his name and the name of the medal.

home.teleport.com...
Ångström Medal:
The only publicly known recipient of The Angstrom Foundation AB's "Ångström Medal" award is author and lecturer Richard C. Hoagland, author of The Monuments of Mars: A City on the Edge of Forever (see 4th rev. ed. (Berkeley: Frog Ltd., 1996), pp. 414-415. In August 1993, in Washington, D.C., Mr. Lars-Jonas Ångström presented Mr. Hoagland with the Ångström Medal award, also known as the "International Angstrom Medal for Excellence in Science." As far as I know, Mr. Hoagland's Ångström Medal award consisted of a medal and a handshake from Mr. Ångström; no certificate, diploma or monetary prize was associated with it.

The actual medal that Mr. Hoagland received with his Ångström Medal award was an Ångström memorial medal of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, and the academy has stated that The Angstrom Foundation AB did not have permission to use the academy's medal for their Ångström Medal award.

The Angstrom Foundation AB's Ångström Medal and Uppsala University's Ångström's Prize are two separate awards both using the same medal, the Ångström memorial medal of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.

Mr. Lars-Jonas Ångström, a descendant of Anders Jonas Ångström, had good intentions when he awarded Mr. Hoagland with the Ångström Medal. However, Mr. Ångström's academic credentials are unknown to me and I do not know if The Angstrom Foundation AB enlisted qualified scientists to properly review Mr. Hoagland's work before awarding him with the Ångström Medal.

www.badastronomy.com...
When Hoagland is introduced on "Coast to Coast AM", he is frequently said to have received the Angstrom Medal, referred to as a scientific medal. This is technically true, but the people who gave it to him, as it turns out, didn't have the authority to give it out. Also, they gave it to him for an idea of his which is easy to show to be meaningless.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Shrike
When Hoagland is introduced on "Coast to Coast AM", he is frequently said to have received the Angstrom Medal, referred to as a scientific medal. This is technically true, but the people who gave it to him, as it turns out, didn't have the authority to give it out. Also, they gave it to him for an idea of his which is easy to show to be meaningless.

Sound like the Nobel peace prize committee.

At least Richard C. always makes for a good show on C2C AM...
His ideas are cutting edge and make people think, so what if they are far out most of the time. Hoagland has probably done more to raise awareness and promote interplanetary peace than some other people, but you don't see anyone crying about it.

Let the guy have his medal.

[edit on 13-11-2009 by tungus]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
So he had a book and fame from Illuimaries with a medal to prove it
as something to say in an introduction.
I have no I idea what he would say on coast to coast
but I'll guess it was something on Aliens.
I liked that guy Stan and the Alien puppet looking through
a window footage on Letterman.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

A couple of ATS Aliens and UFOs forum members have assailed me because I've been highly critical of some of Richard C. Hoagland's claims. As is my style, I always provide irrefutable evidence to support what I say.

LOL Well, that's poppycock for a start. Your last vendetta thread against Hoagland was a complete fabrication. It could even be called a "hoax"

So your gripe now - which you blame Hoagland for and call "Hoagland BS" - is that he was given a medal that you and others don't think he should have been given? Isn't that the "BS" of the people who gave it to him, in that case?

He did receive the medal, right?

So where is this claim "exposed". The claim is he was given the medal, isn't it?

So what's to expose, except that some backbiters and haters like to snipe at Hoagland and whinge about the supposed injustice of him receiving a medal.

Do you spend your time following Hoagland around the internet scouring websites in hopes of finding something to berate him for, whether legitimately or not?

[edit on 13-11-2009 by Malcram]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
He was given the medal to send him out into the dis info world.
How they convinced Stan to go around with a puppet film might
be a worth while expose.
Interplanetary peace sure sounds likes a wasted effort.
Ed: Or he is now a space talker shill for the secret agents
agenda of space promotion.

[edit on 11/13/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by tungus

Sound like the Nobel peace prize committee.

At least Richard C. always makes for a good show on C2C AM...
His ideas are cutting edge and make people think, so what if they are far out most of the time. Hoagland has probably done more to raise awareness and promote interplanetary peace than some other people, but you don't see anyone crying about it.

Let the guy have his medal.

so what if they are far out most of the time.

promote interplanetary peace

So his ideas are far out. Where is the audience then? What has he done to, as you say, "promote interplanetary peace"? Who's at war in the universe? People criticize Obama 'cause he was given a medal he didn't earn. And you say it's okay for Hoagland to have his? What kind of standards do you have?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
If you dont believe him thats fine.

If you believe NASA then thats crazy.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

So his ideas are far out. Where is the audience then? What has he done to, as you say, "promote interplanetary peace"? Who's at war in the universe? People criticize Obama 'cause he was given a medal he didn't earn. And you say it's okay for Hoagland to have his? What kind of standards do you have?

Who's at war in the universe? We are. We shoot down anything out of this world. At least we keep trying to shoot down everything and anything. So far they haven't return fire that I know of but that can't last forever.

The standards I have is that you get recognition after you do something, not before. Besides, the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences thinks Hoagland has done something to merit a medal, maybe not for interplanetary peace exactly.

I enjoy Richard most of the time, I am sorry that he bugs you, that's all.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Shrike What has he done to, as you say, "promote interplanetary peace"? Who's at war in the universe? People criticize Obama 'cause he was given a medal he didn't earn. And you say it's okay for Hoagland to have his? What kind of standards do you have?

Hoagland wasn't given the medal for promoting "interplanetary peace" or peace of any kind so don't conflate the issues. You'll only confuse yourself.

Yes it's OK for Hoagland to have his Angstrom medal for work that was obviously admired by Angstrom. It's Angstroms "standards" you clearly have a problem with. And as someone has already pointed out, Hoagland was awarded for work he had already done. Obama was awarded for what people hoped he would do in the future. Big difference.

Do you realize how pathetic it is to whine about how unfair it is that someone gave Hoagland a medal because they admired his work? Jeez.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Malcram

You are right, the interplanetary peace promotion is not the issue, but I felt that if there was such a category I should nominate Richard Hoagland quick before they give this one to Obama, too.

The OP seemed so hung up on the medal and I think that Richard is deserving of some recognition and since I am not a scientist I can't speak of the scientific merit of that award, so I made up the interplanetary peace category. You know, just like they made up the Nobel Peace category.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by tungus

I agree. I wasn't saying you were conflating the issues. You're right, despite the OPs claims, Hoagland deserves some recognition (hence the Angstrom Medal) and you're right in your observation of his contribution.

It was the OP who was conflating the issues in another attempt to fabricate reasons why Hoagland supposedly shouldn't have been honoured by Angstrom.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
once again, more submoronic and blatantly unmittigated "facts".
first.. find out who the web master is and take up the announcement with them, secondly because a committee was fraudulent, and holding no authority, take it up with them. this is no different than me telling you that teh early US slave trade was abolished solely by you because lincoln was white. makes no sense. Just get over it kid.. he made it and you didnt. HE EVERYONE! NASA SAYS UFO's ARENT REAL!!! BETTER BELIEVE THEM

lol cheers

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Malcram

LOL Well, that's poppycock for a start. Your last vendetta thread against Hoagland was a complete fabrication. It could even be called a "hoax"

LMFAO
Hey Malcrom!! You have successfully debunked the OP!!!
Star for you! lol

oh yeah. that clever one liner was courtesy of the last guy that said it.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Thanx for another good laugh shrike!

You say he didn't get a medal and then turn around and provide the information to show that he did recive the medal.

Too funny!

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Hoagland's favorite word is Hyperdimensional, since that topic is pretty popular and since he's been talking about it for a long time he does have some interesting theories on the subject. So the op uncovered something on his medal being less than legit, nobody has heard of the angstrom award and I don't think anyone cares, he's not exactly a fact finder, he's more a guy that looks at a cloud in the sky and sees a half man half human cat sphynx head, so he is out there and doesn't really back up his data, but he still has some interesting theories.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Razimus

uum... yeah he does in every seminar, book, and vid. I guess it helps if you read, or do mathematics. what he is doing is showing what topologists said in the 1800's and showing cases where they were correct, then applying mathematics to unusual finds, then shows the math, both IN seminar and affterward. Just because you guys cant do even THAT much doesnt make him a fraud or a hoaxter.. nice try though whats next shike? "HOAGLAND BS PT3 HE SAID HE CREATED THIS MATH" when in fact he states clearly that HIS team finds topologist notes from way back when but he takes credit for it? or will he next be the inventor of the floor?

.... wait! I got it! POST IT PADS!! RC HOAGLAND CLAIMS HE INVENTED POST IT PADS!!!

[edit on 14-11-2009 by stanlee]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Sounds like an unwitting agent of the Hyper-dimensional talkers.
That's a popular way for the Alien to travel.
Mostly cause Aliens can't travel the way we travel and we have not been
in space yet to some people.
The smarter people get the more inventive the space travel talkers have
to be especially for the Alien to be here and spook us.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Badastronomy.com is in all likelihood a disinfo site.

Follow the site owner(s) and you'll probably find some institutional links.

Many might see these links as providing credibility, but now that I understand the inner workings of these institutions I would call it culpability.

Not saying I know where or from whom the site originated, but my Spidey senses immediately start tingling when I see a "Bad Astronomy" or a "Myth vs. Facts" article, website, or publication.

We KNOW the facts by now. To attempt to discredit all of Richard Hoagland's work based upon a website's slant on one piece of data is absurd.

Of course, the disinfo folks wouldn't be having such a field day if they weren't throwing tainted bones and having mindless puppies chasing them.

Snaring people into debating details and missing the overall picture is part of the disinformant's raison d'etre.

If Obama discloses, these people can all shut up. Of course I mean that in the most loving way possible. haha

Until then, most of us get to stand on the sidelines and watch this aimless bickering.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by atswheat

I don't know if he is a disinfo agent. I kind of think he is just one of those people that is so in love with scientists that he'll try and prove them right no matter how obviously wrong they are (similar to most of the skeptics on this board) Plus he needs to make a name for himself... in other words he makes money off of trashing people.

I have heard him on C2C a few times and I've heard him make so many inaccurate statements that now he just gets on my nerves.

I havn't read his pages on RCH in a while, but I remember him making all kinds of wrong and misguided "debunks". The most obvious one that I remember off the top of my head was the one about the true colors of Mars. He starts off by explaining how color pictures are taken of Mars and how they are assembled from several different grey scale images. He then says that Hoagland doesn't know this. The thing is that Hoagland DOES know that and has explained it himself. Infact the first time I heard about how the color pictures from probes like MRO are assembled was from RCH. The whole section of the article was just an attempt to make him look smart and didn't really have anything to do with the point he was trying to make anyway. It was a nonsequitor. I mean , OK, so the pictures are assembled from grey scale images... AND? who cares? How does that fact make Hoagland a fraud?

The wildest thing about that article though is that NASA has admitted that Mars isn't as red as most of their photos make it out to be, and most of the more recent images (like the ones from the rovers) aren't the super red world of the past. So Hoagland has been proven right on this topic, and Phil has defended a position that NASA itself no longer supports. If the "skeptics" on this site held Phil Plait to the same standards they hold RCH then they would be calling Phil a hoaxer or a flat out liar, but of course they won't do that.

new topics

top topics

join