It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US expects to seek death penalty for 9/11 suspects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

US expects to seek death penalty for 9/11 suspects

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – Self-proclaimed Sept. 11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four other Guantanamo Bay detainees will be brought to trial in a civilian federal courthouse in New York, near the site of the devastating 2001 terror attacks. Prosecutors expect to seek the death penalty.

Attorney General Eric Holder announced the long-awaited and politically fraught decision at a news conference Friday. He also said five other Guantanamo detainees, including a major suspect in the bombing of the USS Cole, Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, will be tried through the military commission process.

Holder
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
This is my opinion, but no one, not a murder, should have the death penalty. Death by another human hand is never right, so I don't get why it would be right to legally murder someone else.

I wonder why it takes them so long to get this guy to have a trial? It's been 8 years, why does it take so long?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
an eye for eye.

then everyone will be blind.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I don't think he should have a trial in the US, that is a right reserved for American citizens and rightfully so. He, as well as the others, should be taken to the UN to face justice. They may have a better solution rather than the death penalty, but I believe that should be up to them, despite the attack being on American soil.

He deserves a trial, but not here. Besides, there would be so many attempts and threats on his life that it would be a waste of money to protect someone that confessed to being behind it, even if that were not the case. If he wants to take the blame, let him.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Can I ask, why are they being tried in a Military court?

Is it because they are deemed as military?

If that is the case, then they are soldiers and 9/11 was an act of war .... thus a legitimate target.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

I don't see how the death penalty is worse than life in solitary confinement.

It's alot more painful, even if they just commit suicide by starvation or something.

I think the death penalty is only because Christians want to send bad people straight to hell for eternal punishment. Two problems:

1. Not very christian like to not give a man a chance to ask for forgiveness

2. Hell probably doesn't exist

So, you kill 3000 people in a terror attack and you get an easy death. Idiota

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by nine0099thousand

??

What does this have to do with Christians?

It was not just christians whom were killed on 9/11. One sees your agenda have a little jibe at the christians, why does this not surprise one whatsoever.

Why should the trial not take place in the US? After all that is where the so called crime was commited. Hows about they include Bush & CO, in the trial also! Now that would be justice. Will that happen? Goodness no.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by nine0099thousand

I think that you have misunderstood what I was saying.

If they are deemed as soldiers (ref: my last post), then 9/11 was a legitimate target, hence it is/was an act of war, thereby why the trial? They are in effect Prisoners of War.

As they say ''One mans' terrorist, is another mans' freedom fighter''.

top topics

join