It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to buy Czech Stealth-Detecting radar

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I ran across this on a computer technical news website of all places. Apparently, the U.S. is going to buy some examples of the new Czech "Vera" radar which is the successor to the now-outdated Tamara system (thought to be responsible for downing an F-117 in Kosovo).

USA eyes Czech Vera radar to prevent sales to China
made Vera radars will probably get to the USA instead of China after the US Defence Ministry negotiated a contract with Czech arms maker Thomas CZ...

"In part, the Americans want to compensate for the supplies to China. Besides, they want to test their own technology on the radars. They want to know what they can do," LN quotes an unnamed source as saying.
Czech Happenings

[referring article]
Where'd we put 'em? US to buy Stealth bomber detecting radar
The USA is reported to be negotiating to buy a set of Vera radars from the Czechs, the quid pro quo being that a deal to sell them to China does not go ahead.
The Register

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by Spectre]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
why? cant US develop one themselves?

i understand why us dont want china to buy those

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Isnt this the radar that Czech build with the partnership of Russia?

I will try find if I can anything about that.

Out,
Russian

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
ah guys u do know that the czech repub.. is now apart of the EU and thus that technology will be apart of any futrue EU war machine....

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mooeuro
ah guys u do know that the czech repub.. is now apart of the EU and thus that technology will be apart of any futrue EU war machine....

Czech is not the only one with stealth detecting radar.

Russia has one and I think US has one.

Out,
Russian

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The Russian 1R13 radar system is very much capable of detecting the F-117 "Night Hawk" stealth fighter. There are also some other radar systems made in other countries, which are capable of detecting the F-117. During the Gulf war the Iraqis were able to detect the F-117 but failed to eliminate its threat because of lack of coordination. The most unforgettable incident involving the detection and elimination of a stealth aircraft was during the NATO air-war over Yugoslavia. This was done by a Russian built "not so advanced" SAM (possibly the SA-3 or SA-6). The SAM system presumably used optical detection for target acquisition in the case.

Its the Russian radar that downed the F-117...

Also it is not one of the new ones.

Out,
Russian

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by Russian]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian

Czech is not the only one with stealth detecting radar.

Russia has one and I think US has one.

Out,
Russian

Yup Yup Yup i remeber Britain has one too....

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Yup Yup Yup i remeber Britain has one too....

This is really just a side-note posting.
I, too, recall reports of British naval radars tracking the Nighthawks in the first Gulf War. One place I am sure I heard it was on "Future Fighting Machines" -a TV military tech from the UK. I tried to do some web searching on that topic and the Kosovo shoot-down. What I got was a ton of hits on the ATS site!
Seems we have done a good job of discussing stealth in general.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a links to articles on any sites I would consider reputable. I will keep trying; if anyone else comes up with something good, please post. ATS'ers seem to have some great resources.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The F-117, is nothing compared to the same stealth ability to the f-22
, The f-22 is getting by the most advanced radar systems that detect stealth.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Something is wrong with the priority spending plan.

We can out bid China on stealth detection radar, but can not afford to armor the vehicles our troops are relying upon?!

And nothing is wrong, nothing at all...

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I am guessing we are buying this from the Czechs to skip the cost and time of an R+D and program and domestic production. Stealth detecting radar is ancient history.

In WW2, radar worked differently than today. In WW2, stations transmitted to eachother, and read a signal when an aircraft interrupted the signal between the two stations.

In modern times, a single station bounces radar off the plane and it comes back to that station, which can see where the signal bounced back from.
Stealth deflects or absorbs that radar so it wont go back to the station.

Well, it doesn't matter where the signal goes in the old style of radar, because it still isn't getting to the next station, so we can see the plane. All we've got to do is apply the old technique to modern equipment, but it may be cheaper and quicker to just buy suitable equipment from friends, which also carries political benefits, instead of going out of our way to develop it ourselves. (perhaps our contractors are already pressed to their limits on something tougher, or more likely, its just a matter of balancing the budget- we can't spend anymore on development, so we hide this new development under acquisitions by buying it from our friends. There are a lot of reasons to buy things you can build yourself. Like that new beret technology the army bought from China. I guess we didn't ahve it ourselves right? lol.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laxpla
The F-117, is nothing compared to the same stealth ability to the f-22
, The f-22 is getting by the most advanced radar systems that detect stealth.

Stealth detecting radars are not build to detect F-117. They are build to detect all stealth. That inculdes F-22.

Stealth detecting radars dont work as plain radars.

Stealth radar is a passive radar and the pilot that is being tracked by it deosnt even know that he/she is being track.

A plain conventional radar is detected by the pilot of an aircraft and conventional are not god at tracking stealth aircrafts.

Out,
Russian

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
How a passive radar works...

Here's my go at it. An active radar works by sending out pulses of radiation and then listening as it echoes back after bouncing on an object. A passive radar on the other hand, doesn't send any pulses, all it does is listening for pulses emitted by other radar devices (for example another aircraft or a ground based radar), and by various calculations the position and movement of the other object can be calculated.

Out,
Russian

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by titus
why? cant US develop one themselves?

i understand why us dont want china to buy those

Us also purchsed S-300 in nineties and disasembled it incorporatd everything they could into newest Patriot misile.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Something is wrong with the priority spending plan.

We can out bid China on stealth detection radar, but can not afford to armor the vehicles our troops are relying upon?!

And nothing is wrong, nothing at all...

What armored vehicles are you talking about?

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
He is talking about the Hummve...

Or so i think.

Out,
Russian

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I agree ADVISOR, priorities are misplaced.
China is probably laughing their collective behinds off on this whole deal anyhow.
Why?
Cause they know that as soon as Hillary gets into office in 2008, if Kerry doesn't get in first, that they will be given the know how on this supposedly stealth detecting radar.

seekerof

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
The question is always "precision and range".

From 500 feet away, yes, a regular radar will be able to detect a F117 and a B-2A.

In normal radar the sensitivity goes down as the distance to the fourth power. (one 1/R^2 emitter and one 1/R^2 aircraft scatterer).

Passive radar can work, but again, what is the range? How precise is it?

Getting an intermittent blip might say something, but it matters little if you can't use it do actively direct action against it.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
I agree ADVISOR, priorities are misplaced.
China is probably laughing their collective behinds off on this whole deal anyhow.
Why?
Cause they know that as soon as Hillary gets into office in 2008, if Kerry doesn't get in first, that they will be given the know how on this supposedly stealth detecting radar.

seekerof

If Hillary or Kerry get the office then China will be able to buy F-22 at half price and US will de-militarize to become a peace loving nation!

Out,
Russian

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
The Vera radar is based on a more advanced British radar system which we refused to sell to the yanks because we wanted to keep it for ourselves. LOL

The Checks never used radar to shoot down the F-117 they couldnt see it. It was a quick witted Commander that worked out that the stealths were flying the same route day in day out at the same time, over confident of its invisabillity.

All the commander did was put a platoon on a nearby hill loaded with AA guns and automatic weapons and the plane passed on time and it got hit with half a ton of HE shells and 5.56 milly rifle fire. Good old eyesight cant beat it. LOL

Stupidity and arrogance killed that plane, not radar.

[Edited on 21-5-2004 by rustiswordz]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join