It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are Women Barred from this Olympic Sport?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The International Olympic committee has never allowed women to compete in the dangerous, Olympic sport of Ski Jumping. Their denial is not related to the hazard possibility of the loss of life or limb, but because there are too few athletes. However, a woman currently holds the world record. Is the Olympic committee just practicing “Ole boys club” rules of law? I don’t think that this claim is justified. What do you think?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
just be glad they can perform in the beach volley ball, surely the only olympic sport worth watching anyway

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Now if only the women could ski jump in bikinis, then I would be all for their participation!!!! Otherwise I could give a rats behind.

Anyway, I wonder how many Muslims sit on the Olympic Committee? That could be the source of the problem.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The Olympics are a joke now, anyway. I don't think anyone really cares about the Olympics as much as they used to. Since the Cold War showdowns it's been nothing but a corporate farce and ongoing steroid/fraud scandal.

Besides, I'm tired of picking up the paper and seeing sports bull# on the front page whilst there is a section dedicated entirely to sports. The section is often twice the size of the any other section and is filled with useless crap. When the Olympics roll around it gets worse and I don't watch the news or read the paper until it's over.

I'm tired of having sports shoved down my damn throat.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
just be glad they can perform in the beach volley ball, surely the only olympic sport worth watching anyway

Bow Chicka Wow WoW!!!!

But on a serious note - i agree, women should not be barred from any Olympic games. it goes against what the Olympics stand for.

But that goes both ways - men shouldn't be barred from certain events either.

[edit on 13-11-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

And why are men not allowed to participate in Synchronized Swimming?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
The Olympics are a joke now, anyway. I don't think anyone really cares about the Olympics as much as they used to. Since the Cold War showdowns it's been nothing but a corporate farce and ongoing steroid/fraud scandal.

Besides, I'm tired of picking up the paper and seeing sports bull# on the front page whilst there is a section dedicated entirely to sports. The section is often twice the size of the any other section and is filled with useless crap. When the Olympics roll around it gets worse and I don't watch the news or read the paper until it's over.

Sports are a diversion for the masses, just like teh Gladitorial Games in ancient Rome.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by djquinn

HaHa....you reminded me of the classic SNL skit from the 80's about a couple of guys training for Men's Synchronized Swimming in hopes of it becoming a sport for them.

"Hey you, I know you"

Does anyone remember it? I think Martin Short was one of the swimmers.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

In what way are they being shoved down your throat?

Are you watching ESPN? MLS? NFL? NHL? Are you watching any of those channels?

if not - im not really sure how you can come to such a thoughtless conclusion.

Sports don't take a mainstream approach unless you're watching one of those channels.

Most of what we see on TV these days is doom and gloom. Someone somewhere got killed by someone with something for doing something (or someone) else

[edit on 13-11-2009 by Snarf]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
reply to post by djquinn

HaHa....you reminded me of the classic SNL skit from the 80's about a couple of guys training for Men's Synchronized Swimming in hopes of it becoming a sport for them.

"Hey you, I know you"

LOL, no but I'll look for it on Youtube.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Well you said there are too few athletes. I dont'think it unreasonable to require a number of participants to make it fair.

If it is just not a sport women are interested in, so be it.

Mabye they are just smart enough not to do it. XD

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
there should be no discrimination at olympics.
men, women, and handicaps should compete at the same event.
no separate events or medals for women or handicapped.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by djquinn

reply to post by djquinn

"Hey you, I know you"

Found it...still funny as heck....1984....notice the life vest....lol

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by djquinn

reply to post by djquinn

"Hey you, I know you"

Found it...still funny as heck....1984....notice the life vest....lol

www.youtube.com...

Hahaha! That was a classic.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigspud
men, women, and handicaps should compete at the same event.
no separate events or medals for women or handicapped.

...uhhh you do realize that if handicaps competed against able bodied athletes....there would always be an unfair advantage.....right?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

reply to post by woodwardjnr

Anyway, I wonder how many Muslims sit on the Olympic Committee? That could be the source of the problem.

No thread would be complete without somehow blaming it on either the NWO or Muslims.

But it just appears like another poster said, that there isn't enough women interested in the sport.

I don't think they are barred from competing as much as it just doesn't exist in a womens category. If there were enough women that wanted to compete I'm sure it would happen.

But I don't really know much about the Olympics or this particular sport. So I could be wrong.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
"I'm not that....strong...a swimmer...." LOL
Wonderful.

As for the Olympics, is there anything stopping the lady who owns the record from entering in the 'mens' event? Worth checking.

I kind of lost interest in the Olympics. I still can't quite work out how 'professionals' are not allowed to compete in some events, but 'the dream team' in basketball was all top pros! Can't have it both ways.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by bigspud

Gender discrimination is completely appropriate in some cases. Just like you have different weight classes in boxing because it would be unfair to have a 120 pound boxer go up against a 250 pound boxer; there are some activities where having women and men compete against each other would be unfair.

Though I'm not sure ski jumping would be one of those cases. Especially with the current world record holder being a woman.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Why Are Women Barred from this Olympic Sport?

After a little searching on google, I think I have the answer for you. From what I'm reading, it appears that there are very few women ski jumpers, but apparently because of body dynamics, it seems to be a sport that women are much better at than men.

So there aren't enough women to justify having an entire women's division, but if women are allowed to compete with the men, they would probably dominate the event. Not only is the current world record holder a woman, the entire US international team is exclusively women.

So in this case, keeping the women out of mens ski jumping is like keeping male boxers out of womens boxing.

[edit on 13-11-2009 by LordBucket]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf

Bow Chicka Wow WoW!!!!

Made this whole thread worthwhile!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join