It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major water find on the Moon!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

Did they say in what form the found the water? They didnt specify ICE so I assume its running water?? In any case whether its Ice or Water, yes without an atmosphere it would evaporate into space, so what John Lear, William Cooper and others have been preaching about an atmosphere on the moon is starting to sound more and more as fact.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
didnt Buzz Aldrin say they were going to make an announcement soon about finding water on the moon?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
LOL¡ The INDIA was the first country who found WATER on the MOON¡; The NASA again lost.

India’s lunar mission finds evidence of water on the Moon

www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Cydonia2012

They detected the spectrographic signature of water. It may have been ice particles or water vapor.

Liquid water cannot exist on the surface of the Moon.

[edit on 11/13/2009 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I'm merely asking the questions. The OP said they found water - be it in liquid or ice form. Liquid, I doubt, that would be long gone. Ice, a different story.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

this sounds like more than just spectographic evidence :

"Indeed, yes, we found water. And we didn't find just a little bit, we found a significant amount," said Anthony Colaprete, a principal project investigator at NASA's Ames Research Center.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Last week, a team of scientists gathered in NASA's gray low-slung building N-240 to analyze the data collected by spectrometers, cameras that analyze the characteristics of the ejected components. The wavelengths — just bumps and wiggles on a computer screen — matched the profile of a oxygen-hydrogen molecule, or water.

"It was about 3 a.m. and we'd been working around the clock," recalled Colaprete, who lives in Morgan Hill. "Working through the data, I kept coming back to that 1.4 micron feature," suggesting water. "I kept coming back to it, then sent out a post. They said "It's got to be real.' '"

www.mercurynews.com...

You can see that 1.4 micron blip here:

[edit on 11/13/2009 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Two days ago, Everyone KNEW the moon was dry.
Imagine, I doubt that's possible, what you will know tomorrow =)

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoamC
Two days ago, Everyone KNEW the moon was dry.
Imagine, I doubt that's possible, what you will know tomorrow =)

That's a good point.

This is a very interesting find.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I guess now the questions will be -

How did the water get there and what does this find mean for mankind?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Why is the MSM picking up on this and acting like it's such a big deal, but said next to nothing when we found water at the equator? The MSM keep saying that no one was expecting this... WHAT? The whole purpose of the mission was to confirm this. Everyone was expecting this. The plume of dust was way less than expected and all the "skeptiks" on this site were saying that this was just a sighn of less water than we were expecting. So if anything we found LESS water than expected. Why was such a radical discovery like the one India made almost compleatly ignored by the press, but this is all over the place and described as compleatly unexpected?

Is it just me or did the image of the crater increase in resolution by about a factor of ten over the last month?

I've heard a rumor that in the press conference the younger scientist kept refering to different "species" on the Moon. I havn't watched it yet but it looks like I'll need to find it on youtube! Can anyone confirm this or if it's true can anyone (paging Phage) explain why this terminology would be used to describe water and other minerals?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I think that it is safe to say that many already had a good idea that water was/has been on the moon over the course of time in some form or another. However this current "finding" comes to mind as a mere after-thought under the guise of "hey, let's go ahead and let it become public knowledge that water is on the moon" then disguised it as a "new finding/discovery" in order to set up conditions or scenarios in future missions for "other discovery's". I'd like for them to crash one of their million dollar plus toys in or near the face structure and see what kind of discovery they would be willing to if at all, make known to the public. Nevertheless, I applaud them for announcing it. Its a giant step towards the quest of making known to the public that other life is indeed out there as many in the fedgov are already too well aware of

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
so, at a cost of tens of millions of dollars, they have found water on the moon. Well there is oceans of the stuff right here on earth! What a load of bloody nonsense. As far as "oh we might be able to colonise the moon now" is concerned, well once we have learned to live peacefully on this planet, maybe then think about elsewhere.We can't even get it right on
earth.
Just as in the sixties, at a cost of billions, they brought back...... some moon dust. Great.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

"The discovery opens a new chapter in our understanding of the moon," the space agency said in a written statement shortly after the briefing began.

(ex tags)

[edit on Sat Nov 14 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I heard about a program that NASA was planning to colonize the moon by 2020. Here is a link www.cosmosmagazine.com...

If you read in the story which is dated in 2006. You see they were already planning on their bases to be near south pole. Did they already know about this, but just now made the presense of water public info?

[edit on 13-11-2009 by JcOg323]

[edit on 13-11-2009 by JcOg323]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JcOg323

This mission was part of the plan to build that base you are talking about. They were pretty sure there was water there, but they needed to confirm it before they spent the massive amounts of money (and time) needed to build the base. So, yeah, this was part of that plan.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Don't be silly they just happened to by chance hit a water supply pipe for the alien space station that orbits our planet. You know the one. It's the one that we call the moon.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Maybe NASA will get to the part where there are those beautiful waterfalls within but hey they aren't that quick with running of their's mouths are they.

As the bell tolls

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I too thought that India had discovered water on the moon first; I didn't realize that the device on the Chandrayaan-1 mission was built and operated by NASA.

Learn something everyday (well, almost every day). Thanks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join