It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feeling hungry?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Zomar
•Rainforests, vital to earth's oxygen supply, are being destroyed at an alarming rate - the top cause is the raising of animals for food.

No, the primary causes are growth of foodstuffs (soya, palm oil), biofuels (palm oil) and logging.

Sheep, for example, are not raised in Indonesia. But Indonesia contributes 20-30% of global carbon emissions solely from burning down their rainforests. For timber, soya and palm oil. Sheep are raised in the British and New Zealand uplands regions unsuitable for other food production.

For us in the UK, what is more 'environmentally friendly? Brazilian Soya or Welsh Lamb? Which has the highest carbon footprint?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

You know a lot of people say lamb is an acquired taste. I personally like it alot.

You are absolutely right. Deforestation is not caused by the raising of cattle. People will never beleive it though if it doesn't fit their personal agenda / vendetta.

----------------------------------------------

This is a reply to some of you:

Hey everyone!

Look at the carbon footprint caused by us over the last 10 years and add it up.

Now, look at the carbon footprint that Mt. St. Helens left.

You still think we are causing global warming?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
My family has recently stopped eating red meat and have never felt better. =) s&f

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I wrote a long, long reply to the past posts but I just decided to delete it. Being angry isn't going to solve anything or educate anyone.

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by Essan

Hey everyone!

Global warming is definitely fake, I didn't go vegetarian to slow my carbon footprint. If the elites were honestly frightened of global warming we could see electric or hydrogen cars overnight - but we won't.

Nor did I go vegetarian for my health.

I'm just a very very compassionate person and it breaks my heart to see animals hurt and used for our use. I think we could live in harmony .. chickens could provide us eggs and we could shear sheep and llamas and in return provide them love and shelter.

Call me crazy if you must.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

Well chickens that give us eggs are usually kept in pretty crappy conditions for their whole lifes. Kept in little wire cages all day & then someone comes round and collects the eggs. If anything thats probably worse than the chickens that get killed for food, at least they arent alive as long.

Conditions that animals are kept in should definately be improved, but I dont see what the issue is really apart from that. Animals kill other animals for food.. usually by chasing them down, yet no one sees any problem with that. Or maybe they do but they dont fancy trying to convince tigers that celery sticks are the way forward.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Something to think about that occured to me the other day.

We cannot eat raw meats like, say , a lion. It will make us ill do to bacteria, pathogens and parasites. So to say that we are naturally meat eaters is to contest that we evolved specifically to heat food by means of fire e.c.t... that is a product of intelligence though. A huge can of worms that I leave for all to ponder.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Although I do agree that it is more efficient for Humans to grow their food via plants rather than raise animals for meat. Meat consumes far more water, space, and leads to deforestation and destruction of arable land.

HOWEVER, I don't think that Vegetarianism is meant for everyone.

Some blood types need meat on a regular basis. O- blood types especially.

For all you A, B and ABs out there, Vegetarianism might be for you...but for the Os out there, their primitive blood needs Meat...no ifs and or buts about it.

I personally have consciously lowered my meat intake to an absolute minimum that my body will allow, which comes out to be 36 lbs a year (compared to the National Average of 215.1 lbs a year). I have tried Vegetarianism for 9 months, and I will never go strictly Veggie again for the sake of my fellow humankind. If my Taurine levels are not constantly maintained I start looking at other humans as potential food sources...and it's far better that I eat a hamburger once or twice a week than kill a person to eat as food.

(And synthetic Taurine doesn't do it...no matter how many Red Bulls or Rockstars I might drink, it's not the same as getting my Taurine from red meat!)

Besides, the majority of the United States population is either Soy Intolerant or allergic to Soy. It is the most common food allergy in the United States. It is believed that this is due to the fact that Soy is used as an additive in almost every processed food we consume. Suggesting that someone switch to a diet high in Soy when the likelihood is that they are either unable to process it, or will have an allergic reaction to it is misguided and reckless at best.

There is nothing wrong with Vegetarianism, and if that path is one that you have chosen for yourself then I think that is absolutely wonderful...kudos to you! However, don't be a Veggie-Nazi and be overzealous about your lifestyle expecting others to embrace it. For many, Vegetarianism could hold many health risks, especially if they are allergic to Soy or have a Type O Blood Type.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Zomar
I wrote a long, long reply to the past posts but I just decided to delete it. Being angry isn't going to solve anything or educate anyone.

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by Essan

Hey everyone!

Global warming is definitely fake, I didn't go vegetarian to slow my carbon footprint. If the elites were honestly frightened of global warming we could see electric or hydrogen cars overnight - but we won't.

Nor did I go vegetarian for my health.

I'm just a very very compassionate person and it breaks my heart to see animals hurt and used for our use. I think we could live in harmony .. chickens could provide us eggs and we could shear sheep and llamas and in return provide them love and shelter.

Call me crazy if you must.

Nothing to reply to my post on page 1?

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
Something to think about that occured to me the other day.

We cannot eat raw meats like, say , a lion. It will make us ill do to bacteria, pathogens and parasites. So to say that we are naturally meat eaters is to contest that we evolved specifically to heat food by means of fire e.c.t... that is a product of intelligence though. A huge can of worms that I leave for all to ponder.

We are perfectly able to eat raw meat and fish, without getting sick, it's just that the industry meat is not safe.

Naturaly, man had a srtrong enough system to eat raw meat, and meat was naturally safer to eat.

Also, being able to make fire is part of our evolution.

Besides a lot of vegetables are also boiled before being eaten.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
No matter how you try to get around it, imitation meat is never going to taste as good as the genuine article. I think it's silly - and ultimately self-defeating - to try to make vegetables pretend they're meat. It will never work. Imitation meat will always fail to compare to rreal meat. And to be honest, most of thes meat "substitutes" taste like building materials. [How I know what building materials taste like is none of your business.]

It is entirely possible to become vegetarian, and even vegan, without having to suffer. There are thousands upon thousands of delightful, tasty dishes made only with vegetables. In fact, in most cultures, throughout most of history, meat was a luxury few could ever afford. They had to make do with vegetable-based meals almost all of the time.

If you're going to go vegetarian, I recommend just skipping all the alleged meat "substitutes". They'll only make you sorry you're not having a real hamburger or steak or whatever. Find some delicious recipes for vegetarian food - beans, rice, wheat, carrots, potatoes, there are endless possibilities.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

I'm just a very very compassionate person and it breaks my heart to see animals hurt and used for our use. I think we could live in harmony .. chickens could provide us eggs and we could shear sheep and llamas and in return provide them love and shelter. Call me crazy if you must.

Maybe you should start living in harmony with plants and veggies too, and stop eating all together.

Plants are living things to, you know.

Love and shelter? Lol, I think you are projecting human emotions onto animals, they don't want your love or shelter, they only want to eat another organism.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Vegeterian "Meat" as in Red meat is not there yet, taste wise.. It's funny the first thing I gave up when I was 13 years old was Sword Fish (because I saw there #'s deplete quickly. Also I gave up Lobster and when I became about 19 or 20 I stopped eating red meat & chicken. That's almost 10 years now and the Hardest thing to quit is Fish and eggs.. I'm just not sure I could quit those "Forever". I will tell anyone that- Once you quit esp. Red Meat for about 6 or more months you won't miss it and if you do happen to taste is one day you'll be disgusted by the taste. Chicken was, and IS tough to quit because it's in Everything. However I haven't eaten chicken in probably 7-8 years. It's just getting into (Good) Habits.. I also noticed that once I quit meat, my Fruit and Vegetable intake went way up without me even puposely trying to eat more of either.

One thing is for Certain you Will Feel Better eating Less and Less Red Meat and Chicken I know I did. My advice to anyone is quit in stages. Start with whatever meat you eat the least often, and quit that 1st. Then move at your own pace.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

Thanks. I was wondering what that was suppose to be. It looks like sliced marbled cheesecake to me. Why even try to imitate beacon? Waste of resources...

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
It amuses me that so many people will have a complete lack of trust in government when it comes to things such as reasons for war, gun trafficking, healthcare, political spin, statistics on unemployment, federal reserve, banking crisis comments and just look at this site if you want to get a small feel of the distrust floating around.

Yet when government agencies release global warming statistics so many people drop their guard and jump on the bandwagon. These are the same fricken people who are smashing things into the moon, why not save that?

(warning, profanity in video)

If you want to eat meat, eat meat!

If you dont, then dont!

Why not give a crap about the people suffering in this place because thats all you can help, and thats if you have been lucky enough to get into a position where you can. I mean, people are fussing about food, be greatful you even have any form of food! Theres people dying from starvation all over this place.

You only live once, enjoy it and if you dont like the way animals are treated, go raise them and try and make a profit if you can do it in a humane way. Its the system thats the problem and people need to obey the system if they want to survive.

I mean, really think about it for a second, if everyone refused to eat meat there would be no food left for people to eat as the system works on profitability. Then the same people would be pointing the finger blaming someone else for being starved.

Variety is the spice of life when it comes to food and your body will thank you for it when your older, just make sure its no pre packaged junk food and you will get there and thats if you are fortunate enough to have a choice.

To each his own and if you want to go veggy to save the planet then good luck with that and I understand this topic might be informative for someone of that preference but I only say what I say because some people need a good shake into reality for their own good.

Yes there are plenty of people on this planet "Feeling Hungry" who do not get the chance to even give food a second though so be greatful if you can.

[edit on 14-11-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I always wonder, why veggies go on their endless and hopeless crusade to turn everyone into one of their own. Why not just live your live and let everyone live there's as well? You don't see a "EAT RED MEAT YOU DIRTY VEGANS!" thread here, aren't you?
So why always create veggie threads and try to convince everyone that it's better?
I'm sick and tired of all those "since i've gone vegan i feel so much better, everyone should change their life"

I will never go vegan, never ever. I feel perfectly fine, i'm healthy and that's maybe BECAUSE i eat plenty of animals, drink that bad bad bad whiskey and don't think to much about my life or worry if i live until i'm 90

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
You made some valid arguments about all of the negative impacts the meat industry has had on the environment. And yes it definitely sucks, and it's definitely one of the reason why I'm majoring as in environmental engineer.

However, I don't think these facts are going to stop a few people on this forum from eating meat, do you really think if a few of us stop it's going to make an impact? This isn't some "negative" thinking, it's rational thinking.

Anyways, I personally don't like most of the processed vegetarian food I at so far, I don't like the texture, the taste, and the fact sometimes it's loaded with more sauce, seasoning, oil, artificial flavoring just to add taste, is terrible.

I think the best method is to eat healthy and live healthy. Continue to eat meat (preferably low fat). But don't exclude a good serving of vegetable, dairy (again low fat, if your concern about being healthy). Try to replace some of your bread/pasta with beans and lentils, which provides a decent amount of protein and dietary fiber, which a lot of people are lacking. For breakfast try to eat oatmeal, I know quaker oat has this brand called "weight control," it has 8g of protein and 7 gram of dietary fiber.

And lastly exercise!! Heck I carry a jump rope with me around campus, and when ever I'm free, I just do jump ropes for like 5-10 minutes. Not only do you get a cardio workout and burn calories, it also helps fight fatigue, by increasing circulation to the body and brain.

[edit on 14-11-2009 by skyblueff0]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

I strongly suggest that if you do not want to be stuck eating Factory "Frankenfood" you look into HR 2749. It turns our entire food supply over to the control of the big Ag corporations.

HR 2749: Food Safety’s Scorched Earth Policy

HR 2749: Totalitarian Control of the Food Supply

HOWEVER, I don't think that Vegetarianism is meant for everyone.

Some blood types need meat on a regular basis. O- blood types especially.

For all you A, B and ABs out there, Vegetarianism might be for you...but for the Os out there, their primitive blood needs Meat...no ifs and or buts about it

You are very correct. I am of Bedouin ancestry and I just can not digest a lot of veggies. Many of them I am allergic to. I tried eating only Veggies and became very sick. I have to eat meat.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
How did they make the fake meat? Isn't hard to make one?

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
So what store do you get these ribs and burger meat from? I'm diabetic, sure could use a good try at this stuff. I've never seen them in stores before

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
That stuff looks good....

But.

I do like meat. I'm a member of PETA also.

People Eating Tastey Animals

Hey, I no prob with my veggies! I LOVE GREEK! Got hummus? Got pita? I go dinner! Slap some cheese and olives on the plate with some dolmas? I'm good.

Not Greek but falafel is beautiful when done right!

That being said, when I want my steak, thats what I want. Plate of Mama's fried chicken? Chicken fried steak with potatoes and gravy and some fresh corn? MMMMMM. Stupid good!

Everything in moderation

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join