It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House counsel to resign: reports

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - White House Counsel Gregory Craig, who has tried to lead the closure of the Guantanamo Bay military prison, intends to resign on Friday, the Washington Post and the New York Times reported.

Quoting associates and people familiar with the situation, the papers said in their online editions that Craig had decided to resign, ending months of speculation over whether he would stay as President Barack Obama's top lawyer.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.reuters.com...

www.nytimes.com...

Obama's top lawyer put in his resignation, looks as if the fallout over the failed attempt at closing Gitmo has hit home. Obama had promised to close Gitmo his first day in office and ordered it closed his second day.

Reports say that it's due to Craig not laying the groundwork in congress to get Gitmo closed, could there be more to this story than what is reported? After all, the legal ramifications and the political problems with what to do with the prisoners of the controversial facility aren't really his fault. After all what do you do with people no one wants and you can't let go?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

could there be more to this story than what is reported?

That's what I was thinking
nice post s&f

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Isn't it interesting that they have decided to try the accused 9/11 mastermind in New York and maybe because of this Craig decided to resign? Could that be the connection? Someone sick of the lies? Someone finally seeing through the bull that our government constantly throws out?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   

It may be a situation of chief lawyers engaging in 'Musical Chairs'...

some chief counsel for a high-end corp, akin to a Goldman Sacs,
was supposed to be leaving that position ( recall this news yesterday)
for another position with another 'feather-bed'.

just as the chief counsel for Microsoft, was a transfer from another high-end corp., in the recent year.

I suspect that Craig, is another lawyer doing the 'musical-chair' routine,
i would say a more lucritive position, being as working in government is compensated less than the private sector!
And Craig does not have a diminished reputation because of the supposed ineffective Gitmo closure...no matter the hearsay

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

And Craig does not have a diminished reputation because of the supposed ineffective Gitmo closure...no matter the hearsay
I am only putting that out there as a possibility, (besides the article assumes that, not me)

You might be right, It could be a situation where he just has a more lucrative job offer and he may just be moving on to greener pastures. However it seems quite coincidental that the 9/11 trial is going ahead in a civilian court. Maybe there is a (and I concede that this is pure speculation) that this lawyer is having a crisis of conscience and is leaving because of this decision.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Getting "out" while the damage is forgettable is a good move, possibly even a better move if the pending actions on the issue at hand are going to be another unacceptable fiasco offered as a solution.
This dangling dingle berry called "gitmo" is just another unfulfilled promise from the campaign trail, my gut tells me look for a problem at the facility soon.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

This dangling dingle berry called "gitmo" is just another unfulfilled promise from the campaign trail, my gut tells me look for a problem at the facility soon.

I have that suspicion too. What it makes me think is that he is quitting over the civilian trials of the 9/11 suspects. Really people, think about it. Would you want to be a lawyer attached to the administration when this completely falls apart and the US is forced to let suspected terrorists go because of all the things that have happened during their detention?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is what I think is the real reason he is quitting. Get out of there before SHTF when some douche bag lawyer gets these people off on some crap technicality.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Not only that position, which is what I'm inclined to see, but the position of a "fail" in containment at the facility itself.
We've just witnessed a breach at Hood "on" US soil, what better secondary fail than one at gitmo freeing what some in the world view as hostages.
I'm just sayin...............I dont rule anything out in these twisted times.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
He's probably tired of representing someone whom we know almost nothing about except what has been published in not one but two autobiographies of a man who up to that point hadn't done much to merit even one autobiography let alone two. Two autobiographies? It's almost like being awarded a Nobel Peace Prize for doing, well, nothing much.

[edit on 13-11-2009 by coastalite]

[edit on 13-11-2009 by coastalite]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

Not only that position, which is what I'm inclined to see, but the position of a "fail" in containment at the facility itself.
We've just witnessed a breach at Hood "on" US soil, what better secondary fail than one at gitmo freeing what some in the world view as hostages.
I'm just sayin...............I dont rule anything out in these twisted times.

It's kind of hard to follow your point here. Major Malik Nadal Hasan, is in fact a major in the Army, he earned that rank, a rank that is not easy to earn. Your suggesting a failure in containment in a maximum security military detainment facility to some jihadist nutcase?

But there is in fact no failure in containment at Gitmo. A deliberate decision has been made to move these people and try them under civilian court.

Hasan is not a breach of security, Hasan is a suspected nutcase that apparently put his faith before his country.

Guantanamo POW's are prisoners of war. They were caught during a war and should be tried under the articles outlined in the Geneva Convention. Our country is continuing to do a great disservice to the Geneva Conventions by insisting on trying these people in a civilian court.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by coastalite

An autobiography (from the Greek, αὐτός-autos self + βίος-bios life + γράφειν-graphein to write) is a book about the life of a person, written by that person.

So you doubt the two autobiographies that this man put out? That's not enough to know who this person is? You didn't bother to read them did you?

Are two autobiographies narcissistic? Yes. Is Obama megalomaniacal? Yes. These two traits run in everyone that runs for major political office, look at Rolland Burris for an example.

He gives you not only one, but two autobiographies, and you don't read them, and you dare to say no one knows who this man is? Well that's akin to someone putting blinders on and not noticing a car hitting them.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Neither article gives much information. The most informative paragraph was probably in the Times:

In the office of White House counsel, Mr. Craig was handed one of the most difficult portfolios in the West Wing.

He drafted executive orders banning torture and ordering the Guantanamo prison closed within a year. Over the objections of the Central Intelligence Agency, he recommended the release of Justice Department memorandums describing aggressive interrogations. He also was at the center of the White House decision to reverse itself and withhold photographs of abuse of detainees.

It seems pretty clear to me that the disagreements were over White House decisions regarding Guantanamo. The timing of his resignation -- just before the civil trials--would support that suspicion.

The real issues may never be made public.

new topics

top topics

join